Music association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was just thinking... (and forgive me, this is a little left field, I guess)

... you know how you associate music with certain times in your life, certain things? Well I'm going to associate this week and the upcoming grand final (and hopefully a win) with an album.

[video=youtube_share;1uvKwkutb5g]http://youtu.be/1uvKwkutb5g[/video]

I chose this because it's chilled out and if I sit back in the future and reflect on a win, I think the chills of remembering the win would pair nicely with the smooth vibe of the music. Also, I think it might be nice to calm those jangled nerves immediately following the game, given how they've come down to the wire recently.

Anyway, I just thought it was something you guys, as die-hard fans, might also be interested in... Listening to an album at some point in the future and being reminded of this time.

Note: Feel free to use that album too - it's not a bad idea to pick something you don't really know already, just in case the worst case scenario happens, you don't want to have a negative association with your favorite album ;) Alternately, what album might you choose?

/endcrazy

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Love it man. Not left field at all.

Music association to life events is usually something that has occurred and you don't even realise your brain has made the association until many years later (for me anyway).

I've never contemplated a forced association. Cool idea though :thumb:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Not crazy at all IMO.
(And if it is later proven to be crazy, it's "my" type of crazy)

Metallica's And Justice For All reminds me of Summer in 1990.
Cog's "The New Normal" reminds me of Canberra in 2004.

I think the term is 'cognitive association' : It's a similar trick your brain does when you decide you're gonna buy that new car, and all of a sudden you see them everywhere.

If it's crazy you want ... try associating colours with sounds.
Everytime I hear a "D" note, my brain says "blue".
Songs speak to me like colours do to your eyes.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Not crazy at all IMO.
(And if it is later proven to be crazy, it's "my" type of crazy)

Metallica's And Justice For All reminds me of Summer in 1990.
Cog's "The New Normal" reminds me of Canberra in 2004.

I think the term is 'cognitive association' : It's a similar trick your brain does when you decide you're gonna buy that new car, and all of a sudden you see them everywhere.

If it's crazy you want ... try associating colours with sounds.
Everytime I hear a "D" note, my brain says "blue".
Songs speak to me like colours do to your eyes.

You're my kind of crazy CK

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not sure what prompted me to think of it but I'm glad you guys dig it :grinning: Like you guys, normally it's something that happens naturally to me but I think this will likely work too.

Synesthesia must be interesting, CK. Does it change with alcohol use, or painkillers or whatever? All the time, or only sometimes?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I'm not sure what prompted me to think of it but I'm glad you guys dig it :grinning: Like you guys, normally it's something that happens naturally to me but I think this will likely work too.

Synesthesia must be interesting, CK. Does it change with alcohol use, or painkillers or whatever? All the time, or only sometimes?
Background = Guitar player since 13, been going 25 years. I'm not tertiary level educated on it, but I come to the table armed with an OK knowledge of basic scales/modes, arpeggios and the like.

There's your garden variety major/minor sounding tunes, which are fairly easy to identify anyways (happy/sad). It's not every song, but occasionally one comes along and BOOM ... there's usually something in a chord progression that triggers the mind to think "I like the sound of those colours in the music", and I can't let it go. Gotta break it down and understand it. Might bust out a guitar and try to manufacture some more of it for my own amusement.

But beyond that ... time after time I come back to songs that are heavily rooted in D-tuning, and/or D-major scale. And it always sounds like 'blue'. It works like this ... (a) hear the song and like it (b) it sounds blue (c) go home, try play it and whatdya know, the primary chords are centred around "D".

As for alcohol, external factors, etc : I wish I'd given it more attention over the years, and I wish it were as simple as drawing up a chart with matching notes & colours, but the reality is some notes are easier to identify than others (thus, not all songs register as strong). A lot of the time it's random radio selections that triggers it. Guitar training has taught me where to explore (on a fretboard according to pattern recognition) once I've got that initial 'note'.

I might hear the next song and my brain will tell me "this bit sounds like greens and yellows" even though I might not know what notes/chords I'm hearing.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Background = Guitar player since 13, been going 25 years. I'm not tertiary level educated on it, but I come to the table armed with an OK knowledge of basic scales/modes, arpeggios and the like.

There's your garden variety major/minor sounding tunes, which are fairly easy to identify anyways (happy/sad). It's not every song, but occasionally one comes along and BOOM ... there's usually something in a chord progression that triggers the mind to think "I like the sound of those colours in the music", and I can't let it go. Gotta break it down and understand it. Might bust out a guitar and try to manufacture some more of it for my own amusement.

But beyond that ... time after time I come back to songs that are heavily rooted in D-tuning, and/or D-major scale. And it always sounds like 'blue'. It works like this ... (a) hear the song and like it (b) it sounds blue (c) go home, try play it and whatdya know, the primary chords are centred around "D".

As for alcohol, external factors, etc : I wish I'd given it more attention over the years, and I wish it were as simple as drawing up a chart with matching notes & colours, but the reality is some notes are easier to identify than others (thus, not all songs register as strong). A lot of the time it's random radio selections that triggers it. Guitar training has taught me where to explore (on a fretboard according to pattern recognition) once I've got that initial 'note'.

I might hear the next song and my brain will tell me "this bit sounds like greens and yellows" even though I might not know what notes/chords I'm hearing.
Well explained ck. I've played for probably around 14 or 15 years now. What kind of guitars do you play?

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Thanks for explaining, mate :grinning: Brains are interesting critters :grinning:

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
you're a freak CK haha

I'm building an acoustic from scratch atm

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The brain is a funny thing. We studied it a bit in psychology how memory links to certain senses. I think the sense of smell was the strongest link to memory from what I remember. I love the way that certain songs can just take you back to a moment in time, or a period of time.

For me there's Nirvana, sitting in a dark room with a bob marley flag over the light, playing guitar and chillin'. Frenzal Rhomb is playing cards with the gang. Brings back good memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.