Murray Hip Drop

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And you believe anything that Annersley says!!! The NRLol can't even establish an efficient set of rules let alone having a "key indicator" to explain a tackling style.
Yeh Annesley is a very smart man. He knows the rules quite well. Remember Fonua Blake was supporting Johnson, it didn’t matter that Fonua Blake was in front of Johnson when Mahoney got bowled over. Nothing to see with Bulldog games

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I honestly can't wait until all Burgess bros are gone from our game. Stupid wankfest of a family who have had all their misdemeanors swept under the rug
If Russell Crowe hadn't been slipping the whole family one they'd be long gone. He still gets deep into Sam Burgess whilst Sammy's Mom is watching on!

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry mate, you can bluster all you want about the quality of the NRL's administration (and be right) but the hip drop is a very specific type of tackle. It was recognised as such and the league agreed to stamp it out. The issue lies in the refs not understanding (deliberately, I'd say, in some cases) what it actually is and "enforcing" the rule as it suits them (Preston's alleged "hip drop" at a pivotal moment in the game).

Murray's tackle just wasn't a hip drop. This whole call out is just age-old fan behaviour, trying to call out double standards because we lost. You can legally tackle a player around their hips/legs from a kneeling position. That's what Murray did. He only left the ground because there was another player in the tackle and Preston's momentum dragged him off his knees. In that split second, Murray's weight was hanging from Preston, which sucks, but it was incidental and this is a contact sport FFS. All I want to see is a fair and impartial implementation of the policy. They got the Murray call right, they got the Preston call wrong. Pretty standard shit from the refs right now.
A hip drop involves the hip of the tackler, not that of the ball carrier. I don’t think anyone on here has said anything about Murray grabbing Preston’s hip, on the ground or not that is a normal tackle.
anyway I don’t agree with your opinion that Murray was dragged around , he made a conscious decision to use his body weight to drag him down and the only accident was that it made contact with Preston’s lower limbs. So wether intentional or not it’s a hip drop.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear someone in the Beagles vs Storm got penalised and reported for a hip drop and never touched his legs.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear someone in the Beagles vs Storm got penalised and reported for a hip drop and never touched his legs.
Yeah the Storm bloke tackled him from behind. It was a hip drop in the sense he held his hip and dropped his weight, but he landed on the grass. He was penalised and not binned. But watching it, how else does he tackle the player from behind? The whole hip drop thing has become a joke.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah the Storm bloke tackled him from behind. It was a hip drop in the sense he held his hip and dropped his weight, but he landed on the grass. He was penalised and not binned. But watching it, how else does he tackle the player from behind? The whole hip drop thing has become a joke.
you just have to let him go… tackling is banned. Duty of care they say.. some may argue that he did show duty of care by dropping his weight away from the legs which reduces injury chance by 100%, but that’s just not enough

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you just have to let him go… tackling is banned. Duty of care they say.. some may argue that he did show duty of care by dropping his weight away from the legs which reduces injury chance by 100%, but that’s just not enough
Yeah I thought that, and let him score. Then you have Freddy Fittler in commentary saying that’s a hip drop. And for once in my life I agreed with Cameron Smith. Shock horror.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slowly but surely the NRL is painting themselves into a corner.

All of these clampdowns are pure and simple risk mitigation strategies that are being driven by legal advisors - our game is now being shaped by leeches with law degrees

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe the referees should call held when a player is stagnant or close stagnant in their run to stop tacklers trying to rip them down to the floor for slower play the balls...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe the referees should call held when a player is stagnant or close stagnant in their run to stop tacklers trying to rip them down to the floor for slower play the balls...
If refs called held sooner (to every team, equally) then these rubbish tackles arent needed and 6 agains not needed to rort unfavoured teams.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slowly but surely the NRL is painting themselves into a corner.

All of these clampdowns are pure and simple risk mitigation strategies that are being driven by legal advisors - our game is now being shaped by leeches with law degrees
Some perhaps (head injury related incidents) are risk mitigation for legal purposes, but i believe most are to make the game "safer" so mums and dads let their kids play the sport. There's two things I think NRL need to remember and probably need to promote rather than go down the path they currently are. 1. There are hardly any injuries in junior footy - especially in the real young age groups. They don't have the strength (or desire in most cases) to hurt each other. Sell the parents the truth - your 8 year old is getting tackled by another 8 year old, not by kikau... and the chances of them getting hurt are no higher than any other sport (I assume) 2. If the game keeps going soft, people will walk away and find tougher sports to play or support.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If refs called held sooner (to every team, equally) then these rubbish tackles arent needed and 6 agains not needed to rort unfavoured teams.
Thats the issue, some referees won't because they need to have the fix on teams sadly lol