bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Where is Gus to complain.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury’s horrid record isn’t an insinuation Sutton is a poor referee.
No, it's an outright accusation that his rampant bias is uncontrolled and is unable to be tamed by basic (in)competence.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And yet the NRL will keep appointing him to our games and pretend like there's no issue.

But please remember, gamble responsibly.
Maybe bet Dogs next time Sutton is appointed!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was nice to shine some light on it. Interesting factual article. I wonder what buzz will come up with to revoke it. Maybe Gus sacked RFM and Topine and that’s why they have lost so much under him. Or our wrestling seasons or lack of drones :p

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely the club is straight onto the referee boss‘s Monday morning wanting answers.

Why was Mahoney penalised for basically just touching Mitchell, when he obviously milked it, especially when last week Taaffe was taken out in the air and no penalty was given.
‘Why wasn’t the blatant obstruction picked up by the bunker that helped lead to their first try.
‘Why wasn’t the holding down a professional foul & sin bin, when it’s been that way 100% of the time until that game.
Why wasn’t the Mitchell knock out on JAC at least a penalty at minimum, he was charged and fined so it was obviously illegal.
‘Why didn’t Whigton get ten in the bin for the hip drop tackle, shoe on the other foot we’d of gotten 10.
Why was Shaq Mitchell allowed to lead with the shoulder that took Preston out, why wasn’t it scrutinised more to see if the shoulder hit the jaw/head before the head clash, as I believe it did, if that was us it would have been replayed in slowmo 10 times …

With the record he has against us, Sutton should be sat down and made to answer the above questions .. the reason he needs to be called out is, if someone was to analyse last years Good Friday match, we’re probably asking as many, and similar questions, and same with other games he’s refereed us in.

The club needs to be putting all this evidence together from all these games and straight out saying, we won’t be playing any games where this bloke is the referee, we’ll concede the points and sit them out ..… if it was one game you could cop it, but it’s beyond laughable now, it’s bordering on obvious corruption or just straight out bias .. the Nrl need to be also questioned on why they haven’t done something about it themselves ..

I’ve said this before, when you see stats like this, and especially when there’s gambling involved, there needs to be an independent body that aren’t toothless tigers, that the Nrl & officials are scared of, a group of 4 independent people that have eyes on every game making sure everything’s legit & above board ..

Last edited:

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely the club is straight onto the referee boss‘s Monday morning wanting answers.

Why was Mahoney penalised for basically just touching Mitchell, when he obviously milked it, especially when last week Taaffe was taken out in the air and no penalty was given.
‘Why wasn’t the blatant obstruction picked up by the bunker that helped lead to their first try.
‘Why wasn’t the holding down a professional foul & sin bin, when it’s been that way 100% of the time until that game.
Why wasn’t the Mitchell knock out on JAC at least a penalty at minimum, he was charged and fined so it was obviously illegal.
‘Why didn’t Whigton get ten in the bin for the hip drop tackle, shoe on the other foot we’d of gotten 10.
Why was Shaq Mitchell allowed to lead with the shoulder that took Preston out, why wasn’t it scrutinised more to see if the shoulder hit the jaw/head before the head clash, as I believe it did, if that was us it would have been replayed in slowmo 10 times …

With the record he has against us, Sutton should be sat down and made to answer the above questions .. the reason he needs to be called out is, if someone was to analyse last years Good Friday match, we’re probably asking as many, and similar questions, and same with other games he’s refereed us is in.

The club needs to be putting all this evidence together from all these games and straight out saying, we won’t be playing any games where this bloke is the referee, we’ll concede the points and sit them out ..… if it was one game you could cop it, but it’s beyond laughable now, it’s bordering on obvious corruption or just straight out bias .. the Nrl need to be also questioned on why they haven’t done something about it themselves ..

I’ve said this before, when you see stats like this, and especially when there’s gambling involved, there needs to be an independent body that aren’t toothless tigers, that the Nrl & officials are scared of that have eyes on every game making sure everything’s legit above board ..
I agree with this. It is only going to be a matter of time until these bad calls affect player morale.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with this. It is only going to be a matter of time until these bad calls affect player morale.

Mate you could make a case for quite a few of those games we've lost under him, because we were just bad, and the penalties we get can be explained and are generally warranted, although at times laughable and soft …. and I can cop that if it goes both ways , …. but it’s doesn’t, we seem to get penalised for the smallest infractions and very little to none are missed, every try is dissected and played over, and every foul called out, meanwhile other teams are consistently getting away with the same infractions .. it’s just impossible for that to consistently keep happening against us without it going the other way sometimes, unless it’s being done on purpose ..

As a fan, I’m just sick of seeing our blokes cop the pineapple end every week, last week at home we didn’t even get the rub of the green, as terrible as the Titans played, the penalty count was still 9-3 against us ..

Something needs to be done about it, call the ref’s into training, ask the question, make them feel important by asking them to help us, spend a few hours with us, show us where we’re going wrong …. then invite them all into the Canterbury club for a Chinese meal …. Highjack them with the projector screen and evidence and asked if that’s what we’re doing wrong, check this out, why aren’t these teams being penalised for the same shit ??

that would make ‘em all choke on their beef & black bean ..

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That knock on that they challenged at the start of the game has been called a loose carry and a hand over forever. I get that technically Milne didn’t lose it but that didn’t matter previously.

Furthermore in an attempt at scoring a try Fox obviously took contact to the head which previously was an immediate sin bin.

Finally when the slowed the play the ball down in a scoring situation towards the end of the game. That’s been a penalty and ten minutes in the bin.

It’s different rules for us and the rest of the NRL and it’s really frustrating and borderline unwatchable seeing our team trying their tits off and not getting these calls.

Preston was playing with a broken jaw FFS and for what?

I’ll see you guys in a few rounds cause I can’t watch this shit for a while

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That knock on that they challenged at the start of the game has been called a loose carry and a hand over forever. I get that technically Milne didn’t lose it but that didn’t matter previously.

Furthermore in an attempt at scoring a try Fox obviously took contact to the head which previously was an immediate sin bin.

Finally when the slowed the play the ball down in a scoring situation towards the end of the game. That’s been a penalty and ten minutes in the bin.

It’s different rules for us and the rest of the NRL and it’s really frustrating and borderline unwatchable seeing our team trying their tits off and not getting these calls.

Preston was playing with a broken jaw FFS and for what?

I’ll see you guys in a few rounds cause I can’t watch this shit for a while
I said it earlier that south’s should’ve had 2or 3 players in the bin, but instead we had one of ours in the bin.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

With the record he has against us, Sutton should be sat down and made to answer the above questions .. the reason he needs to be called out is, if someone was to analyse last years Good Friday match, we’re probably asking as many, and similar questions, and same with other games he’s refereed us in.

I’ve said this before, when you see stats like this, and especially when there’s gambling involved, there needs to be an independent body that aren’t toothless tigers, that the Nrl & officials are scared of, a group of 4 independent people that have eyes on every game making sure everything’s legit & above board ..
Great post!

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate you could make a case for quite a few of those games we've lost under him, because we were just bad, and the penalties we get can be explained and are generally warranted, although at times laughable and soft …. and I can cop that if it goes both ways , …. but it’s doesn’t, we seem to get penalised for the smallest infractions and very little to none are missed, every try is dissected and played over, and every foul called out, meanwhile other teams are consistently getting away with the same infractions .. it’s just impossible for that to consistently keep happening against us without it going the other way sometimes, unless it’s being done on purpose ..

As a fan, I’m just sick of seeing our blokes cop the pineapple end every week, last week at home we didn’t even get the rub of the green, as terrible as the Titans played, the penalty count was still 9-3 against us ..

Something needs to be done about it, call the ref’s into training, ask the question, make them feel important by asking them to help us, spend a few hours with us, show us where we’re going wrong …. then invite them all into the Canterbury club for a Chinese meal …. Highjack them with the projector screen and evidence and asked if that’s what we’re doing wrong, check this out, why aren’t these teams being penalised for the same shit ??

that would make ‘em all choke on their beef & black bean ..
On your idea that they should bring a ref into training. I was thinking that they could bring in the game day ref into training during the week and get their interpretations on the rules so that way we can improve our style based on their recommendations and interpretations. I'd also take notes on each time they are there, so in case they stuff up, we have evidence to show why they are wrong.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telegraph Sport

He is Mr Six Per Cent – a leading referee with an abnormal record controlling one NRL club over nearly a decade.

The Bulldogs have won just one of their past 15 games under referee Gerard Sutton – a success rate of just six per cent dating back to round to round 2, 2016.

It is the worst current-day record between any club and referee.

Canterbury’s win rate jumps remarkably to 34.5 per cent over the same period in games when Sutton was not the referee. That is 61 wins from 177 matches.

The Bulldogs’ record under Sutton didn’t improve last Friday afternoon when they lost to South Sydney at Accor Stadium.

“I was aware of the record under Gerard before the game,” Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo said.

“We can tell ourselves that certain referees don’t like us and the world is against us but that’s not going to help.”

Canterbury’s history with Sutton goes back even further.

He was in charge of the famous Good Friday game in 2015 when James Graham pointed his knuckle at the referee after Sutton awarded a match-winning penalty to Souths. The Bulldogs captain had made contact with Adam Reynolds when he attempted to kick a field goal.

Later that year, Graham and Sutton again locked heads when he gave a crucial penalty to the Sharks in the closing stages of another close loss. This time, Josh Reynolds made contact with Valentine Holmes as he attempted a field goal.

The NRL will name its referees for round 5 on Tuesday afternoon. Will Sutton be given Canterbury’s big Friday night game against Sydney Roosters at Accor Stadium?

There was a stretch between 2016 and 2019 when the Bulldogs lost nine successive games under Sutton.

Canterbury’s horrid record isn’t an insinuation Sutton is a poor referee. He has controlled seven grand finals, 22 State of Origin games and 21 Test matches.

And the Bulldogs’ overall record since 2020 is substandard. The club has won 21 of 96 games for a win a ratio of just 21.8 per cent.

Canterbury has a poor record under several referees but Sutton’s strike rate is by far the worst and it has Bulldogs officials concerned and frustrated.

“But to be fair, our record hasn’t been great overall anyway,” Ciraldo said.

“We need to worry about what we can control and we’re doing that.

“We’ll just keep working hard and be ready to play anyone, anywhere, any time under any referee.”

The Bulldogs’ only win under Sutton since 2016 was against St George Illawarra in 2021.

Since 2020, Canterbury has been favourite in 11 games and won seven of them.

One NRL coach offered reasons why a club could have such a poor record under an individual referee.

“Perhaps it’s the trends in the game,” the coach said.

“Sometimes players and referees are on different pages, style-wise.

“Players from lower clubs think they never get the rub of the green.

“Maybe it’s just the players but certainly one from 15 is a damning stat. It’s a hard one.”

Canterbury’s record under Gerard Sutton

Year Rnd Opp Result

2016 24 Brisbane L

2017 1 Melbourne L

2017 8 Wests Tigers L

2017 11 Roosters L

2018 2 Roosters L

2018 7 Roosters L

2018 9 Brisbane L

2019 5 Dragons L

2019 13 Dragons L

2021 14 Dragons W

2021 16 Manly L

2022 6 Souths L

2023 6 Souths L

2023 25 Canberra L

2024 4 Souths L
He’s a little fairy. Can’t stand that skinny weasel . Him and his Sutton crew are cancerous to our team

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’d be better off figuring out how to sombrero the salary cap with creative accounting than wasting time and energy on referees.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Men lie women lie numbers don't.