News MR SIX PER CENT! BULLDOGS ONLY WIN ONE FROM 15 GAMES UNDER SUTTON

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telegraph Sport

He is Mr Six Per Cent – a leading referee with an abnormal record controlling one NRL club over nearly a decade.

The Bulldogs have won just one of their past 15 games under referee Gerard Sutton – a success rate of just six per cent dating back to round to round 2, 2016.

It is the worst current-day record between any club and referee.

Canterbury’s win rate jumps remarkably to 34.5 per cent over the same period in games when Sutton was not the referee. That is 61 wins from 177 matches.

The Bulldogs’ record under Sutton didn’t improve last Friday afternoon when they lost to South Sydney at Accor Stadium.

“I was aware of the record under Gerard before the game,” Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo said.

“We can tell ourselves that certain referees don’t like us and the world is against us but that’s not going to help.”

Canterbury’s history with Sutton goes back even further.

He was in charge of the famous Good Friday game in 2015 when James Graham pointed his knuckle at the referee after Sutton awarded a match-winning penalty to Souths. The Bulldogs captain had made contact with Adam Reynolds when he attempted to kick a field goal.

Later that year, Graham and Sutton again locked heads when he gave a crucial penalty to the Sharks in the closing stages of another close loss. This time, Josh Reynolds made contact with Valentine Holmes as he attempted a field goal.

The NRL will name its referees for round 5 on Tuesday afternoon. Will Sutton be given Canterbury’s big Friday night game against Sydney Roosters at Accor Stadium?

There was a stretch between 2016 and 2019 when the Bulldogs lost nine successive games under Sutton.

Canterbury’s horrid record isn’t an insinuation Sutton is a poor referee. He has controlled seven grand finals, 22 State of Origin games and 21 Test matches.

And the Bulldogs’ overall record since 2020 is substandard. The club has won 21 of 96 games for a win a ratio of just 21.8 per cent.

Canterbury has a poor record under several referees but Sutton’s strike rate is by far the worst and it has Bulldogs officials concerned and frustrated.

“But to be fair, our record hasn’t been great overall anyway,” Ciraldo said.

“We need to worry about what we can control and we’re doing that.

“We’ll just keep working hard and be ready to play anyone, anywhere, any time under any referee.”

The Bulldogs’ only win under Sutton since 2016 was against St George Illawarra in 2021.

Since 2020, Canterbury has been favourite in 11 games and won seven of them.

One NRL coach offered reasons why a club could have such a poor record under an individual referee.

“Perhaps it’s the trends in the game,” the coach said.

“Sometimes players and referees are on different pages, style-wise.

“Players from lower clubs think they never get the rub of the green.

“Maybe it’s just the players but certainly one from 15 is a damning stat. It’s a hard one.”

Canterbury’s record under Gerard Sutton

Year Rnd Opp Result

2016 24 Brisbane L

2017 1 Melbourne L

2017 8 Wests Tigers L

2017 11 Roosters L

2018 2 Roosters L

2018 7 Roosters L

2018 9 Brisbane L

2019 5 Dragons L

2019 13 Dragons L

2021 14 Dragons W

2021 16 Manly L

2022 6 Souths L

2023 6 Souths L

2023 25 Canberra L

2024 4 Souths L

Doggystyle99

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wonder what is more effective - the club tiptoeing around the issue with innuendo (at least I'm hoping this is the club trying to take matters into their own hands and change the narrative to fix our referring woes) or a Todd Payton style blow up post-match.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder what is more effective - the club tiptoeing around the issue with innuendo (at least I'm hoping this is the club trying to take matters into their own hands and change the narrative to fix our referring woes) or a Todd Payton style blow up post-match.
I bet Ciro and coaching staff are fuming behind closed doors but trying to keep it professional in the open

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should have called out the errors he made on fridays match, the media can go at it but it makes us look weak because we aren't standing up for the club etc.

We lost the game by ourselves and its on us, he didn't ref the game properly, they claim no bias but thats rubbish.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I’m as passionate as any dogs fan l, but to be fair, Dr George could have reffed those games and we’d still have gone down…. Might have got the better of some of those 20-80 calls though!

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is where the club needs to grow a backbone and defend itself and fans. Yes, we didn't help ourselves with our mistakes, but we are giving this guy and the refs free reign to screw us over.

All honesty, I'm more angry at the club for just allowing this nonsense to happen more than the refs these days.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This has all been said and written about before about his bias reffing against us. Hasn't achieved a thing.

It has to be done a lot harder than this article conveys.

Subtleties like Ciro puts up will not bring Sutton under anywhere near the microscope and analysis of his reffing of us to make Vlad, Jared Maxwell, Analslee, betting agencies, media take any notice to bring about a fair go.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Written by Dean Ritchie...or at least it's under his name.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Could you post a link?
I did in the Referees Thread but it is that silly Chinese link thingy I get. It's all over our socials on FB...probably Twitter too?

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did in the Referees Thread but it is that silly Chinese link thingy I get. It's all over our socials on FB...probably Twitter too?
Looks way dodgy to me. I think people need to be pretty careful posting stuff like this without checking the source. No trace of the article on the internet. It's either fake or a leaked article yet to be published.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure when we beat Manly Rd 1 2016, he was the ref for that game.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk