Most underrated player over the past 20 years?

Most underrated player of the past 20yrs

• Travis Norton

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Tony Grimaldi

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Robert Relf

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Rod Silva

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Craig Polla-Mounter

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Matthew Ryan

• Simon Gillies

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Barry Ward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brent Sherwin

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Brad Morin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How the F@rk could Sherwin be under rated? He was well and truly well regarded. Simon Gillies I agree.

Tony Grimaldi got my vote. When he left, we crumbled.

H

Hitman

Not brent Sherwin he wsn't underrated he played rep footy didn't he

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i also think corey hughes should be on this list... he always gave 100%... so sad the club didnt give him one more year to finish his career here.

Brothers boy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
realise that qld dog but most polls on here are recent and i want us to also remember the good old days as well, you know 3pm footie at a packed belmore, sizing up the corner post as full time neared, abusing opposition players as they went up the tunnel, watching the trains slow down so the drivers could watch the footie. you know the days of the wills pre season comp, the amco cup, remember the league a thon at the scg. heroes and gladiators in the blue and white , known as the berries, were plentiful back then. i would love to know the win / loss stats for belmore oval... anyone know??:confused:

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grimaldi was the oracle of our team that kept our superstars in line and together on the footy field. He was old skool, full of grit, passion and determination. A work ethic to die for. He is one man you would go to war with.

Simon Gillies also i have high respect for especially during the finals which he contributed during the 90s. Played his heart out which lead our team to many semi final wins when we were underdogs.

Travis Norton was probably the most unluckiest player to be plagued with injuries which maybe made him under rated. He was a player like Bradley Clyde with also a kicking game. Could have been one of the best players in the game but injuries got the better of him. A full fit Travis Norton was in the same calibre of brilliant players to have ever played first grade. He was awesome. He did play rep footy.

Polla-Mounter was always rated and was a fringe player to get a run for QLD. He might have been 18TH man for the maroons but im not that sure. He had like 2 players ahead of him for a maroons jersey which could have been Langer.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Maitua Parkinson, James Pickering, Hutch Maaiva and Soloman Haumano are also wrthy contenders., all badly underrated

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
the most underrated player of the 70's is a tie between billy noonan, peter cassilles, gary hughes ( didnt play rep footie ? ), mal creevey , norm thomas, phil charlton and the great john peek.:confused:
I'd throw Stan Cutler in with this group. Peter Casilles was a fave of mine but I think Gary Hughes needs a special mention. He suffered a cruciate ligament injury in the days when the medicos didn't know how to get them right. He came back on a leg and a half and played his heart out.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Glen Nissen and Steve Gearin are mostly outside the 20 year time, but both badly underrated. How Gearin never got rep selection I'll never know.

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
Grimaldi all the way. A demon, a beast, a clubman, a straight-up baller the guy was an absolute phenom and never got much credit.

Feeney was great, so too Morrin, Armit and C.Hughes (still FILTHY that he played his last year at cronulla so that we could sign mick sullivan). Shifty deserves a mention, because while highly rated, 2002-2004 he was on Joeys level (when Joey was on the field that is) and i'm not sure people remember that.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
From the list as presented, I voted for Robert Relf. I watched him on the limited times he got a game and used to think he must have insulted the coach's daughter because no matter how good he was he couldn't crack it for a regular first grade spot. Every time he played he was sensational and then he would be dropped. I could never understand it but in those days there was no internet for me to make a complaint on.

Brothers boy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd throw Stan Cutler in with this group. Peter Casilles was a fave of mine but I think Gary Hughes needs a special mention. He suffered a cruciate ligament injury in the days when the medicos didn't know how to get them right. He came back on a leg and a half and played his heart out.
good point mate was the best fullback in the comp in 1979 and 1980 and missed the win in 80 due to an injury sustained in the semis unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.