Mortimer: I would have kept Thurston

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury great Steve Mortimer says if he had remained in control of the Bulldogs the NRL club would still have Johnathan Thurston and they would have appeared in four more grand finals.

Mortimer said Thurston would not have been lost under his watch which ended controversially in 2004 when he resigned in the fallout over a Bulldogs pre-season scandal in Coffs Harbour.

Mortimer took over the club in late 2002 in the wake of a salary cap drama in which the club was hit with a maximum fine of $500,000 and stripped of all 37 of their competition points.

The two-time premiership winning Bulldogs captain said he could tell from the outset that fellow halfback Thurston was the key to a revival and was making plans to ensure that.

However, fate stepped in at 2004 for Mortimer – and Thurston played his last match for the Bulldogs when he came off the bench in their 2004 grand final victory..

Craving a starting berth, Thurston left for North Queensland in 2005, leading the Cowboys to their maiden grand final appearance in his first season at the club.

Ten years later the four-time Dally M Medallist again holds the key for the Cowboys’ maiden title in Sunday’s grand final against Brisbane.

“I watched him play when he was younger and I was looking to roll over one or two players so we could focus on getting him a contract but what happened next was the Coffs Harbour rape crisis,” Mortimer told AAP.

“I knew I was going to have my throat cut (over the scandal), sadly I had to move on.

“I never got a chance to talk to (Thurston’s manager) Sam Ayoub sadly.

“But that’s by the by. I am very happy for him.”

Still, Mortimer wondered what might have been.

“If we had Thurston up to now we would have played up to four more grand finals,” he said.

“He would definitely had meant more premierships for the Bulldogs.

“I saw from day one he was a great player but more importantly a great person.”

Since their 2004 premiership triumph, the Bulldogs have appeared in two losing grand finals – in 2012 and last year’s defeat at the hands of South Sydney.

Mortimer – who won a total of four titles with his beloved Bulldogs – likened Thurston to his heyday in the 1980s.

“Like Johnathan I used to play with a bit of passion, it was using the heart before the brain,” Mortimer laughed.

“And sometimes the passion got the better of me.

Mortimer wasn’t so confident that Thurston could deliver the Cowboys to their maiden premiership though.

“My heart says the Cowboys for Sunday but my head says the Broncos.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/10/03/mortimer-i-would-have-kept-thurston/

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer?....great player.

Leave me alone will you.

Its easy to say that now.

Why didnt you say I could see that Anasta was not our answer and I would have kept JT

Or that you and the rest crucified him over the Coffs harbour affair.

Go back and try selling shuffle boards

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score

Leave me alone will you.

Why didnt you say I could see that Anasta was not our answer and I would have kept JT

Did they pin the whole Coffs harbour thing on JT ? I thought no one was found guit

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get why they are still talking about this... what's in the past is in the past.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the people who have been in charge since should be called out and sacked.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
hindsight is such a funny thing.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Leave me alone will you.

I disagree,
I recall Mortimer on a fox sports show back before Thurston ever played first grade, and Mortimer said then to look out for a young kid named Thurston,
I looked out for him after that, Mortimer said he will be the next super star, and he was right.
I saw Mortimer years later at a storm game, and I questioned Mortimer on that comment he made, and if he knew he was going to be so good how did the club lose him,
He diplomatically said what he is basically saying now,

Mortimer is true to his word guys,

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Yeah well I would have kept Thurston, stopped SBW at the airport and convinced home to stay, never signed Ryan Tandy, never signed TRex, signed Dugan when he was available in 2012/13 and pissed Barba off and then I would have told James Gaham not to attempt a charge down on good Friday.

Oh the things I would have done in hindsight

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Leave me alone will you.

You have got to be joking!!!
Mortimer was forced to fall on his sword to quell the media hysteria from the Coffs Harbour incident, which turned out to be a pack of lies.

That was early in 2004 so Mortimer was the very first sacrificial lamb, he was gone so he didn’t make the call of Thurston staying at the club.
While we can all say with confidence now that Folkes and Noad made a very bad call. I remember at the time there was reports the club was trying to offload Anastia to keep Thurston but Anastia wasn’t prepared to move.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone with half a brain would have kept Thurston. I have never seen a player kill the lower grades the way this bloke did.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
mortimer allowed JT to enter his final season without extending the deal, so it wasnt a top priority at the time to resign him

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
thats very easy to say now by steve mortimer, where was he 10 years ago speaking up, he had the chance to and stayed quiet

turvey should sit down and shut up, by coming out now saying he would have kept thurston, is just showing people he plays the media for personal gain

bluedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could have, would have, should have

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is the same Steve Mortimer that has said for the past 6 years, that the QLD origin side is too old & slow.

Why hasn't he said that he would have kept JT before.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This is the same Steve Mortimer that has said for the past 6 years, that the QLD origin side is too old & slow.

Why hasn't he said that he would have kept JT before.

Turvey isn't the type to self promote or ring journalists offering quotes for potential stories. A journalist no doubt rang him and asked him what he thought about the club letting go of JT because his team made the GF this year and he gave his honest thoughts IMO.

Btw are you so sure Mortimer has never expressed similar thoughts? I'm not 100 percent sure but I think I do remember him talking about this and saying very similar things in the past.

Hehe you're just p1ssed off at our club for being shrewd enough to figure out we'd make more money selling Cowboys merch rather than Broncs merch from our team store this week :D

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I respect Mortimer but everyone is trying to get their 5 seconds of fame with this JT stuff, should focus on getting the next JT not dwell on the past...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Haha most of the blues origin legends engage in banter like this if they are called and asked for a quote. Just because Turvey said this doesn't mean he isn't aware of JT's class (or Queensland's for that matter.)

Calling Queensland old fuddy duddies is just an attempt at mind games and also to engage in Banter to promote the game.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I respect Mortimer but everyone is trying to get their 5 seconds of fame with this JT stuff, should focus on getting the next JT not dwell on the past...
Haha man Mortimer is just answering a question from a reporter who has called him chasing quotes for another JT story. It's really not surprising in grand final week. I don't think anyone is trying to get their 15 minutes of fame with JT. Turvey has four premiersgips and captained NSW to its first origin win. He's a widely respected legend. He doesn't really need to ride JT's coat tails regardless of how great the guy is.

This is just the case of a nice guy answering a question that has been asked of him I think.... and as annoying as it is seeing this story dredged up again, I think we had to expect it during a Cowboys GF week.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hehe you're just p1ssed off at our club for being shrewd enough to figure out we'd make more money selling Cowboys merch rather than Broncs merch from our team store this week
My club has always sold other clubs merchandise. You just have to ask for it.

If you go to Suncorp at the Broncos store, you will see the other team merchandise on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.