Morgan Harper to manly

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A work in progress. We dont know yet if he can be nrl standard or not. But with reimis at centre and crichton on wing, this is not good if true. Makes more sense to give him a chance instead of crichton imo.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But this is the problem, we can't seem to get the best out of players old or new. We have greater issues than just the coach.
Issues as in we have been recruiting wrong players, i.e. not in line with modern game or in developing/coaching them? I suspect it is more in recruiting. We tend to pick workers instead of the more explosive, skilful type. Worked for us in the past but may be not now.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t believe we are letting Morgan Harper go to manly cause we need more experience and are going after has been Bryson Goodwin ,what’s happened to our club ?
Signed for two years with eagles and also asked for a release.
I’m not happy about this terrible management decision.

Article below-
Bulldogs set to loss Morgan Harper

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal rising centre Morgan Harper, 22, will be leaving the club at the end of this season after he signed with the Manly Sea Eagles on a two year deal.

It makes the decision to allow Harper, who has been at Belmore since he was 15 years old, all the more curious.

Harper agreed to terms with the Sea Eagles before COVID-19 forced the competition into shutdown.

And after limited opportunities to make a name for himself at Belmore, the youngster asked for an immediate release from the Bulldogs to join Des Hasler’s Sea Eagles in 2020 but the request was denied.

Harper, who made his NRL debut in round 25 in season 2019, has not been named in the side since but is highly regarded among his teammates at Canterbury.

After slumping to their third-straight loss against the Sea Eagles at Gosford, senior

Bulldogs players urged coach Pay to consider adding Harper to the starting side at centre as part of a backline shake-up.

Pay will make mass changes to the side he named on Tuesday, including a back five shake-up, but Harper still won’t take the field against St George Illawarra on Monday with Jake Averillo and Reimis Smith preferred at centre.
Can someone please confirm who wrote the article.
Is this another James Hooper "SCOOP"??? .... Just like Josh Reynolds is 100% going to the Bulldogs!!!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He just misses the days of the back ended deals

Dessie will scratch that itch for him

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Twin Turbos have resigned with Manly as far as i'm aware. Anyway they have said several times they aren't leaving. Especially for the Bulldogs.
If we have lost a decent up and coming centre, according to most on here (most who don't know the difference between shit and clay), then that's on recruitment team as well as the coach.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could this mean that we are making room for JASON SAAB, who will only be announced after we play the Dragqueens on Monday.
Not having us listed as a club chasing him gives me more hope, as was the case with DWZ we never heard a peep about it until he was signed. Bryson Goodwin could be the smokescreen.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Issues as in we have been recruiting wrong players, i.e. not in line with modern game or in developing/coaching them? I suspect it is more in recruiting. We tend to pick workers instead of the more explosive, skilful type. Worked for us in the past but may be not now.
Yeah moreso not in line with the modern game. We have had (and still have) talented players, but our seemingly outdated system doesn't allow them to excel. Even from a team pov, I believe we are behind in terms of line speed, strength and game management.

Just another armchair opinion.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah moreso not in line with the modern game. We have had (and still have) talented players, but our seemingly outdated system doesn't allow them to excel. Even from a team pov, I believe we are behind in terms of line speed, strength and game management.

Our system and tactics are absolutely pathetic and are even more so now with the change in the game. I'm still amazed that Pay didn't make a single tactical change for our game last week despite him seeing 7 games before that.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If this us true it just reeks of desperation from the coach and club.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree... we wouldn't give them the length of deal they wanted... now 2 years on, and they are still killing it... now we lose what many insiders have said is a great talent... clubs getting worse...
If we wanted experience why let the morris boys go they are killing it at the moment.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If

It was interesting to hear what Brett Morris was saying about the Roosters training methods and systems and how it was unlike any training he has ever done in the entire time he has been in and around the NRL. We have the "centre of excellence" and the most upto date training facilities to the point where we are the envy of most other cubs, so his statement makes it wonder what they do that others aren't because he is playing like he was when he was in the best form of his life during his Dragons days. Even at FB on Friday night he was incredible and as fit as any other player on the field.

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
100%. Smith is not a centre. Unless behind closed doors there is an issue with harpers attitude. Sometimes managers stir shit up and have a preference where are player ends up. Sux how good suli ended up. Hope he breaks a leg lol.
You would think tho if there was an issue with Harpers attitude he would have been released when asked. Good on Harper - I look forward to seeing him get game time

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
You would think tho if there was an issue with Harpers attitude he would have been released when asked. Good on Harper - I look forward to seeing him get game time
Its a good depth signing for manly. Doubt he would crack a starting spot. Who knows . We only get to see 80min out of 30 or 40 hrs they spend together a week.

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
Its a good depth signing for manly. Doubt he would crack a starting spot. Who knows . We only get to see 80min out of 30 or 40 hrs they spend together a week.
I'm a fan of Harper and have watched his progress from a young age. He has a good head on his shoulders - I'm sure he will get game time. Good luck to him. If anything he will want to nail the position so the club regret him leaving IMO

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see Ben Turbo leaving with his two brothers there. Albert Hoppa might be persuaded to leave, especially with Will at the club.
We should swap Albert Hoppa for Harper right now

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing Harper because Pay seems to let the players pick where they want to play (to pursue more $$$ in future) instead of Pay picking them to play in their best positions for the benefit of the team. Harper offers more at centre than Smith. If we're now letting go of our promising talent we have on the cheap I wonder what the strategy is - if we have any that is ?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can someone please confirm who wrote the article.
Is this another James Hooper "SCOOP"??? .... Just like Josh Reynolds is 100% going to the Bulldogs!!!
Did he say 100%?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly we have become what parra used to be

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing Harper because Pay seems to let the players pick where they want to play (to pursue more $$$ in future) instead of Pay picking them to play in their best positions for the benefit of the team. Harper offers more at centre than Smith. If we're now letting go of our promising talent we have on the cheap I wonder what the strategy is - if we have any that is ?
How much would it have cost to retain Harper? Manly is being smart by recruiting cheap young backs while they spend big in key areas instead.