More bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
How can he be charged with affray when no charges have been laid?

Police are reviewing security footage, no charges have yet been laid, and the incident is under ongoing investigation.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des and Raelene should resurrect the "no dickhead" policy. See ya both later...much later

winton08

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don't care about the details. The fact these players are stupid enough to get caught up in this garbage shows they do not have the brains to be professional sportsmen. They must realize by now that they are targets for brawlers who want to be in the news or make a name for themselves. They are making the club a joke and him and reni, who is old enough but not smart enough, to know better have just joined the club. F both them off. Don't care if it was affray, a brawl, a wrestling, or a kiss and cuddle. Get a brain then give us a call.

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definition or affray (according to www.findlaw.com.au):

If media reports are to go by, offences involving violence is an all too regular occurrence, and if you are indeed a regular consumer of news stories involving violence, it’s possible that you have encountered the term, ‘affray’. Unlike other more familiar offences such as assault, affray is probably less well understood; however with that being said, the two offences usually are associated with one another. So, what exactly is affray?
Before exploring further the offence of affray, we should note that in most jurisdictions, the common law offence has been repealed and replaced by legislation, such as s 93C of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW), which defines the offence of affray in the following manner:

“(1) A person who uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and whose conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his or her personal safety is guilty of affray and liable to imprisonment for 10 years.
(2) If 2 or more persons use or threaten the unlawful violence, it is the conduct of them taken together that must be considered for the purposes of subsection (1).

(3) For the purposes of this section, a threat cannot be made by the use of words alone.
(4) No person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at the scene.

(5) Affray may be committed in private as well as in public places.”

The definition
Affray is generally a continuing offence that has the following elements:

•a disturbance of the peace by one or more persons that is violent;
•the disturbance is either public or private;
•a bystander of reasonable firmness of character might reasonably be expected to be terrified.
For further clarification of the offence, we can turn to I v DPP [2002] 1 AC 285; [2001] 2 AII ER 583; [2001] 2 Cr App R 216 (HL), where Lord Hutton said:

“The offence of affray, both at common law and now under statute, was primarily intended to punish a person who engaged in a face-to-face confrontation where violence was used or threatened and where reasonably firm-minded members of the public would be put in fear. As Lord Bingham of Cornhill CJ said in R v Smith [1997] 1 Cr App R 14 at 17:

‘It typically involves a group of people who may well be shouting, struggling, threatening, waving weapons, throwing objects, exchanging and threatening blows and so on.’

His Lordship later said:

‘[A] person should not be charged with the offence unless he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another person actually present at the scene and his conduct is such as would cause fear to a notional bystander of reasonable firmness.”

Interestingly, a person acting in self-defence may not be guilty of affray, as was held in R v Honeysett (1987) 10 NSWLR 638; 34 A Crim R 277 (CCA):

“The issue of self-defence is not limited to situations in which an accused reasonably believes that he is threatened with death or serious bodily harm and is available where the act of the accused was one merely of assault, or where an assault is made the basis for a charge of affray.”

So in other words, Phillips could have said to the person "I will bash you" and because the other person 'feared' for their safety, Phillips is charged with affray.

Piss-weak law. As I said in Maitua's instance, everyone is guilty of affray (or in Maitua's case, common assault). If the letter of the law is taken seriously and followed, people on the kennel can be charged with affray due to their posts.

Ok children. Legal studies is over for today. Please return to playing games on whichever free game website you use.
It does say the incident left 3 men in hospital I dont think they put them in hospital verbally!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't care about the details. The fact these players are stupid enough to get caught up in this garbage shows they do not have the brains to be professional sportsmen. They must realize by now that they are targets for brawlers who want to be in the news or make a name for themselves. They are making the club a joke and him and reni, who is old enough but not smart enough, to know better have just joined the club. F both them off. Don't care if it was affray, a brawl, a wrestling, or a kiss and cuddle. Get a brain then give us a call.
Fuarr your soft as aha. Get over it. Theres nothing in it. Who cares about what the media prints, they been doing this to us for years. And what do you want them to do? Sit af home and jack off all night? There allowed to go out, and as we know anything can happen when you go out these days.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who hasn't been in a carpark fray . I bet he saw the spot first and some dumbkant took it while he was trying to reverse park into it!
i heard about this brawl, it was in the back of anesi. left one guy impaled with a star picket in the neck. suprisingly the guy is still alive.

i had also heard that there was a young rabbitohs player involved, but i didnt realise it could have been tyronne phillips.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
It does say the incident left 3 men in hospital I dont think they put them in hospital verbally!
Key word there is 'incident'. The incident was a car park brawl, not Phillips threatening people. if Tyrone Phillips left 3 people in hospital, he would be up for assault charges, not charges of affray.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
and people wanted us to sign Fergo .. WOW!!

BTW David Williams was charged with affray and got off in court not that long ago.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
No, read some of the points in your post:
(3) For the purposes of this section, a threat cannot be made by the use of words alone. and
“The offence of affray, both at common law and now under statute, was primarily intended to punish a person who engaged in a face-to-face confrontation where violence was used or threatened and where reasonably firm-minded members of the public would be put in fear" and
Interestingly, a person acting in self-defence may not be guilty of affray

To have been charged with affray he would have had to have:
- Been an aggressor in the situation and not acting in self-defence.
- Have made a threat to another person, not just with what he was saying but also through his body language or a weapon/
- Any reasonable person would feel threatened by his actions.
- He possibly acted out his threat

Your example of the Kennel posts is wrong unless the posts were of significant threat made to another user using their real name and address etc because no reasonable person would feel threatened by a random on the Internet posting a threat to you if they don't even know who you are.

If he pleads guilty or has been found guilty, then it isn't because it is a piss weak law but because he has been a very naughty boy
who made significant threats to other people and he deserves whatever punishment he gets.
The law basically says that if a threat of actual violence is threatened, then you can be charged with affray. Ok, my example of a threat on the Kennel may have been exagerated, but only slightly. The only thing stopping someone on here charging someone else with affray is the absence of fear of physical threat.

It is a really broad law that was written in a manner which you can manipulate the words to suit different circumstances. Probably used when a more serious charge of assault cannot be proven or laid.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
NRL.com doesn't mention Dylan Walker's involvement at all.

D

DoggyStylz

The NRL is quickly evolving in to MMA..... this could be part of the training program. ... do 10 sit ups followed by 10 pushups then punch someone in the face...

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I blame the NRL for taking punching out of the game, it promotes violence in the streets.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Affray is pretty much what you get charged with when you're there but they don't know what you actually did isn't it?

N

Natboy

As I mentioned weeks ago people were stabbed and it involved bikies.
Wrong place wrong time maybe? But phuck me dead!

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
So far both Reni and Walker are barely part of the club yet. This will be used by the media when they want to highlight what a terrible club we are to suit their agenda. However anyone with half a brain will realise that if anything we are suffering the residual effects of a culture problem from souths young playing group and as far as reni goes, he is a half bRain morOn

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Its commonly used when people are involved in a punch up in a public place
Ive had mates charged years ago and they pretty much got done or being there. The cops knew there was a fight but can't prove who did what. It's a dumb law I thought they were getting rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.