Monsters Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From tha tele today

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/its-monsters-inc-at-redfern/story-e6frexnr-1225794797993

THEY were one of toughest and most intimidating packs of the modern era.
The fearsome 1989 Souths pack - under coach George Piggins - contained some of rugby league's hardest men, such as Les Davidson, Mario Fenech, Ian Roberts, Michael Andrews, David Boyle and Tony Rampling.

But when it comes to size and muscle, that pack has nothing on the one the Rabbitohs will trot out in 2010 led by new buys David Taylor and Englishman Sam Burgess.

John Lang's new model pack is 10kg per man heavier than their 1989 rivals. Only Ian Roberts weighed more than 100kg, while all the forwards next year - barring hooker Issac Luke - will top the century mark.

Roy Asotasi, Sam Burgess, Dave Taylor, Eddy Pettybourne, Michael Crocker and Ben Ross will form a formidable pack that will try to terrorise opposition sides.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Vote: Is the Rabbitohs 2010 forward pack stronger than their 1989 equivalent?
Yes No Vote now
Related CoverageSouths: Ben Ross' amazing comeback
Souths: Our new recruit is like Sonny
Rabbitohs: The monster who destroyed Fuifui
Crowe helps: Souths confirm Burgess signed up
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Hard-working veterans Luke Stuart and Scott Geddes complete the line-up.

"It will be a fearsome pack,'' said Taylor, the Brisbane Broncos recruit who weighs a staggering 120kg. "There aren't many small blokes in there.''

Fenech was one of the most intense footballers to represent the club, a bloke who hated the opposition - and hated losing. He can't wait until next season.

"I'm really excited about our pack next year,'' Fenech said. "It's a big pack and they have to have a pack mentality.

"It will all come down to them delivering the goods. I know the game has changed since I played, but when the pack rumbles forward the outside backs have a chance. Our pack in 1989 wasn't as big as this one, but the '89 pack fought to the death. I reckon this pack will do the same.

"South Sydney is a great club and we are on the rise. It will come down to attitude, style and our approach to the game.''

Mark Ellison was lock in 1989 and is now an assistant coach at Redfern.

"Potentially it is a very strong forward pack,'' Ellison said. "There is plenty of size there, certainly more size than what we have had in the past.''

Taylor has arrived at Souths after hammering opponents with Brisbane this year.

Despite being a prop, Taylor revealed he wanted to play second row for Souths.

"I feel fit. I've been spoken about as a State of Origin player and was in the Australian train-on squad,'' Taylor said.

"I have aspirations, so I want to come out next year all guns blazing. I just want to fit into the team as best I can and prepare for the battles of next year.''

Taylor wants to start next season at 118kg.

"I would love to play in the second row. But I want to wait and get to know everybody before I talk about that,'' he said.

"You don't just walk into a side and choose your own position.

"I will have to work hard to earn a spot. But I want to prove that I can.

"I was excited about how I finished last season and want to continue that in 2010. I am looking to perform for the Rabbitohs as I did for Brisbane.''

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave Taylor 118kg in tha second row...

someone want to compare our forwards to that???? Stagg might be a nice bloke, but quite frankly, this souths pack would brush him aside.

bottom line, canterbury's 2010 pack is too small and thats the top and bottom of it.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let the wankfest begin!!!

S

Squatting Bull

John Labg had a 'monster pack' a couple of years ago and the entire team suffered because of it. They weren't fit enough or mobile enough. Parramatta had the same deal that year and didn't even make the finals..

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Labg had a 'monster pack' a couple of years ago and the entire team suffered because of it. They weren't fit enough or mobile enough. Parramatta had the same deal that year and didn't even make the finals..
john lang had a monster pack in 2003 and they won tha comp.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
they also had more interchanges

bigbulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the game is quicker now with 2 refs and with less interchange their big guys will struggle. the 2010 Bulldogs will **** on the rabbits. **** them and that retarded little ****** sandow

S

Shermy

Its not as if Burgess - Asotasi - Luke - Pettybourne etc are big logs.
They are modern day forwards in that they are big and athletic as well as being very mobile.

I dont have alot of worries in regards to them being eaten around the ruck.
Ross is great in that department.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if they play to potential souths will be hard to beat.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
size means lack of mobility, a fast hooker directing quick players through the ruck after a couple of hit ups will tear them to shreds next year.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
john lang had a monster pack in 2003 and they won tha comp.
penrith had a very balanced team that year...

the best backline with wesser, lewis, rooney girdler, Whatuira fark even howland was part of that team...

Campbell and Gower one of the best halves combo in the comp

then their forward pack and their bench would complete it

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
size means lack of mobility, a fast hooker directing quick players through the ruck after a couple of hit ups will tear them to shreds next year.
not necessarily. look at our pack in 2004. plenty of size and all were mobile. SBW. I rest my case.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
not necessarily. look at our pack in 2004. plenty of size and all were mobile. SBW. I rest my case.
that was the best forward back in the salary cap era. comparing any pack to that one is unfair.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that was the best forward back in the salary cap era. comparing any pack to that one is unfair.
i was simply making the point that size and mobility can coexist. wasn't trying to compare any packs

the_yuk

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah but SBW is an absolute freak of an athlete like Jonah Lomu was. So if our pack is so small and sucks so much why is Hannant the starting oz prop instead of taylor?

X

XxFoVoSxX

Yeah but SBW is an absolute freak of an athlete like Jonah Lomu was. So if our pack is so small and sucks so much why is Hannant the starting oz prop instead of taylor?
if steve price was fit hannant wouldn't even be starting :whacky:
he would be on the bench....

just putting it out there

Status
Not open for further replies.