Missing Piece of the Puzzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely loved what I saw from the junior players the other night, fast, hungry, talented and some good footy smarts in there.

The way they played reminded me of watching this current Panthers team when they were all coming through the grades together, not surprising considering Gould, CC, and a few others put those training structures in place and masterminded that development strategy.

I still believe there’s a piece of the puzzle missing, and that’s that big stand out aggressive alpha prop to lead the way.

I’ve said this before, and now after watching the indigenous/Māori game the other night, it’s reinforced to me that this bloke is the answer [emoji116] He’s a superstar of the future ..

Image1708213938.450847.jpg

I know he’s under contract, but over the last few months we’ve all seen what contracts are worth, and I know the Bronco’s have just moved on a few, but they’ve got to be stretched with recent big upgrades to Haas, Carrigan, Mam, Cobbo, Reynolds on big money, Staggs on big money, they had to pay pretty big to keep Piakura .. surely they’ve got to be stretched.

I would love to see some third party whisper in Willison’s managers ear about an offer to good to refuse, and us pinch him while I believe the opportunities ripe, while he’s young hungry and stuck behind a few it’s the perfect time to pinch him, grab him and make him our leader of the future, and I believe we’re sitting pretty heading into the next 10 years …

Thoughts ?

Edit .. Can’t believe I also forgot the recent huge 150% upgrade to Walsh, you’d think they’ve got to be stretched ..

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’ve been saying him and mooney for a while would be ideal additions for us.

Agree to especially with Walsh now close at 1.1 mil a year. They can’t honestly keep these kids and not be compared to the fucking roosters.

Walsh Mann both just went from 500k combined to about 2mil.

Haas carrigan staggs all on mega $

Handful of others only good money even if pay cuts like Reynolds, cobbo, pikaura.

I’d be all for us personally going to this kid and mooney and giving them a figure they can’t say no too as together would be cheaper than afb would be.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will be the starting prop alongside Haas and Carrigan for a team who aren't far off from favorites for a premiership so fat chance.

We have a better chance Tyrell May who looked just as strong over the weekend.

Plus we have kids, we need blokes about to hit their prime or seasoned pros.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of clubs will put massive offers in. He will stay loyal to the Broncos by getting payments outside the cap. Or Roosters will somehow sign him.
Your probably right, I can see him wanting to stay loyal to the Bronco’s, but they’re pretty set for forwards for years, and money talks, plus they’ve got other talent there that they need to hold onto as Reynolds is probably in his last year and Bennett’s always lurking …

Can’t see how the Roosters could possibly get away with buying a player of this caliber considering their current roster ..

I’ve only mentioned Willison because I think with the right offer Gould would be a real chance of pinching him ..

Anyone know who managers him ?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus isn’t willing to go pricey or get into bidding wars for forwards

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will be the starting prop alongside Haas and Carrigan for a team who aren't far off from favorites for a premiership so fat chance.

We have a better chance Tyrell May who looked just as strong over the weekend.

Plus we have kids, we need blokes about to hit their prime or seasoned pros.
Yeah that all makes sense for now … I’m looking more towards the future and these talented juniors about to come through in the next few years .. a fisher Harris type to lead them … I feel Willison is the perfect match for them ..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that all makes sense for now … I’m looking more towards the future and these talented juniors about to come through in the next few years .. a fisher Harris type to lead them … I feel Willison is the perfect match for them ..
Hughes showed some strong leadership qualities the other night if he can keep that up he will be to us what Finucane was to Melbourne he actually reminds me of Finucane the way he plays.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hughes showed some strong leadership qualities the other night if he can keep that up he will be to us what Finucane was to Melbourne he actually reminds me of Finucane the way he plays.
Na, he's an agile Matt Scott regen.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's had a bit of hype since last year. I haven't seen enough of him to know how good he is. But I honestly don't think the Broncos will let anyone go that's half decent easily. But in having said that we managed to get Oloapu of them when they had plans for him. Whether we paid the reported transfer fee or not, if we have to do it again to get a good prop I'm ok with it. I'll even throw a $50 in the pokies to contribute if I ever get to the leagues club. But I think it's a long shot.

I think if anything we'll nab someone who is under-rated at their current club IMO. I don't think we've filled RFM's spot yet. But perhaps the South's prop is still a possibility. Perhaps we're close to arranging someone else. If we manage to wiggle a ready made pack leader loose from another club we'll have done well. But I used to love picking up players that had shown glimpses but couldn't crack a regular spot in the top 17. Or even just solid players that grew a new leg with us. O'Meley and Ryan, Rauhihi, Pritchard (who admittedly was a starter, but was not consistently at the top of his game until joining us). In recent years there's more examples of getting big names that didn't step up. Chotritch (Cotric), She rex and Napa are some examples.

So Willison would be a nice acquisition, but I'd be ok if we unearth more overlooked talent instead. Often works out better in terms of loyalty if we give somebody the chance to establish themselves when they've busted their asses elsewhere for rare opportunities. If they've had to win the right to be a Bulldog rather than having us beg and toss money at them starts them here in a better mindset. That's just my opinion though. I wouldn't complain if an established forward leader fell into our laps.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely loved what I saw from the junior players the other night, fast, hungry, talented and some good footy smarts in there.

The way they played reminded me of watching this current Panthers team when they were all coming through the grades together, not surprising considering Gould, CC, and a few others put those training structures in place and masterminded that development strategy.

I still believe there’s a piece of the puzzle missing, and that’s that big stand out aggressive alpha prop to lead the way.

I’ve said this before, and now after watching the indigenous/Māori game the other night, it’s reinforced to me that this bloke is the answer [emoji116] He’s a superstar of the future ..

View attachment 102518

I know he’s under contract, but over the last few months we’ve all seen what contracts are worth, and I know the Bronco’s have just moved on a few, but they’ve got to be stretched with recent big upgrades to Haas, Carrigan, Mam, Cobbo, Reynolds on big money, Staggs on big money, they had to pay pretty big to keep Piakura .. surely they’ve got to be stretched.

I would love to see some third party whisper in Willison’s managers ear about an offer to good to refuse, and us pinch him while I believe the opportunities ripe, while he’s young hungry and stuck behind a few it’s the perfect time to pinch him, grab him and make him our leader of the future, and I believe we’re sitting pretty heading into the next 10 years …

Thoughts ?

Edit .. Can’t believe I also forgot the recent huge 150% upgrade to Walsh, you’d think they’ve got to be stretched ..
He would be a nice pick up but doubt he would leave Broncos.
Walsh's manager is chasing 1.1 mil.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Trey Mooney and/or Peter Hola from Canberra would be decent additions.
Speaking of Canberra Ata Mariota was impressive yesterday, he would have been great to pinch off Canberra... But that ship has sailed.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Always rated him, just needs some luck with injuries. Hopefully the club manages him well.
Yeah injuries are the real worry for us in the pack but I am hoping someone has done a fucking exorcism after last year.