Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parramatta set to offer Jarryd Hayne $1.2m deal to stay at club
Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://bit.ly/11gZ7v

* Josh Massoud
* July 18, 2009 1:00AM

Go-to-man...The Eels are desperate to sign Jarryd Hayne to a long-term contract that will keep him at Parramatta for life.

LESS than a week into the job, new Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne has already moved to make superstar Jarryd Hayne an Eel for life.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Osborne met Hayne's Gold Coast-based manager, Wayne Beavis, on Tuesday to kick-start negotiations for a three-year extension.

A shining beacon in NSW's fourth straight series loss, Hayne has been earmarked alongside Nathan Hindmarsh as a "franchise player'' for the Eels.

Hayne is off-contract next season, leaving Parramatta just three months of exclusive dealings before rival clubs can bid for his services.

Anticipating a furious chequebook war, Osborne wants to extend Hayne's deal at least until the end of 2013, well before the October 31 deadline.

"I met his manager in Queensland on Tuesday and we'll look to get together again next week with Jarryd,'' Osborne said.

"At this stage, Jarryd is our go-to-man. He's got that X-factor. He can turn something into nothing and that's what the fans want to see.

"He has the potential to be anything and we see Jarryd as a franchise player. I thought he was the Blues' best player this year by some distance, and I've watched him all season in my previous media role.

"There have been games where he's made the difference between winning and losing.''

Relaxing after Wednesday night's long-overdue Origin triumph, Hayne said he had not turned his mind to the future.

But when asked about staying at the Eels, the 21-year-old had some encouraging news for the blue-and-gold army.

Provided Parramatta come up with an acceptable offer, Hayne indicated that he would commit without negotiating elsewhere.

"I think I would,'' he said.

"My manager has been in the game for a long time and he knows how much I'm worth. If Parramatta come up with that value, I'd be happy. My manager is going to do the best he can for me, but obviously I'm happy at Parramatta. If they can come up with the right sort of deal, I'll stay.''

Thanks to his stunning form, Hayne is now ranked among the NRL's most sought-after players and could easily command more than $400,000 a season.

Osborne said Parramatta were in a "strong position'' to compete in the marketplace, with the club believed to be creating salary cap space by off-loading fringe first-graders such as Junior Paulo, Weller Hauraki and Brendan Oake.

"We want to do the deal pretty quickly,'' Osborne said. "We are in a strong position. Put it this way, if Jarryd leaves here it won't be because of lack of interest on our part.''

After snaring representative props Justin Poore and Shane Shackleton, Parramatta have now pulled out of the race for NSW utility Craig Wing.

"We were interested, but he's out of our price range for next year,'' Osborne said.

Bulldogsfan4lyf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
wat a waste of money
i wud spend all my money of kimmorley cause hes better than hayne

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Actually if it was a choice I would take Hayne over kimmorely 99/100. Hayne has 10 years left in the game Kimmorely has 2-3 max.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROFL. That's halarious.

Something into nothing. Ah that's gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.