Minichiello 2014: Selfish in his twilight or deserved lap of honour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what your thoughts are on Minichello, his decision to stay on for another year for 2014, and his form.

He still shows glimpses of the form that made him one of the games top fullbacks in his day, but I'm sure most would agree he is becoming error prone and is often driven back quite a distance during kick returns.

This, while his team is holding back a rising talent in RTS (although he is being eased in during offensive switches with Mini), and while his team is trying to defend a title.

So is he being selfish by staying on for this year while he is well past his prime, or has he earned the right to choose when he retires, and stretch out his career with the Roosters.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it has worked out alright for them. But he definitely made the right choice to not play another season.

It will be interesting to see how RTS goes next year.

N

Natboy

He has played a lot longer than I thought with those bad back injuries. Remember how bad his handling used to be.
He was way worse than he is now. Good riddance count

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt the Roosters would select him if they didn't think he was good enough, he has the right to decide when to retire, just as the club has the right to drop him to NSW cup if he wasn't good enough.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he's only being picked because RTS would be absolutely bombarded in defence with bombs etc and his positioning and decision making in crucial moments still isn't up to scratch. Jorge Taufua comes to mind when I think about what could happen to RTS next year.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he's only being picked because RTS would be absolutely bombarded in defence with bombs etc and his positioning and decision making in crucial moments still isn't up to scratch. Jorge Taufua comes to mind when I think about what could happen to RTS next year.
RTS is safe under the high ball...

He is also nothing at all like Taufua. In fact I struggle to think of 2 players less alike...

As for Mini. He has been average at best this season. But he deserved the right to go out as he chooses. He has been the Roosters weak link the last few weeks.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt the Roosters would select him if they didn't think he was good enough, he has the right to decide when to retire, just as the club has the right to drop him to NSW cup if he wasn't good enough.
This. The selectors/coach don't have to pick him.

But I think he's made the right decision to retire. 300 games, premiership, soo, tests, golden boot. Champion of the game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i like watching him face grubbers, i wish he played on aha

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They don't have to pick him, but the fact that he's a club legend, the Captain, and this is his final year would have a considerable influence on whether they do, or don't, drop him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can never tell when the body will stop performing, and Minichiello has gone pretty well until recently. I guess that for Minichiello it comes down to knowing that retiring this year means he plays out his time at an Elite level. If he plays on next year it may be to mentor the NSW cup squad or as depth. He's done well to have held his spot in a club that will happily replace any member of their team if a better prospect becomes available.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If I was him I would have retired at end of last year. There's no better way to have finished than playing in a winning GF. He would have achieved pretty much everything in the game.

The silly errors he is making show pressure because he is trying to go out on a win again.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he's done well this year sure a few errors but still has the ability to make key plays and always looks dangerous

Malla

Reaction score
Mini is a freak. At this age and everything he has been through with re to injuries, he has done an amazing job to still be in first grade. Anyone else would be retired or in reserve grad. He deserved the lap of honour.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done Mini on a great career.

Wished you weren't a Roosters player, might have supported you more during your career.

But glad you scored the last try. One of Roosters best tonight.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Laters mate, best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.