Migrants targeted for fiery deaths in South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-rampage20-2008may20,0,5190126.story

At least 22 people have been killed in 10 days as resentment of foreigners explodes in crowded shantytowns. Hundreds have been injured and thousands have fled.
By Robyn Dixon, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
May 20, 2008
DIEPSLOOT, SOUTH AFRICA -- The brutal apartheid-era practice of setting opponents on fire has been revived in this country's crowded, litter-strewn shantytowns. But now the victims are foreign migrants.

Anger over unemployment and rising prices and simmering resentment against illegal foreign migrants have exploded into xenophobic violence in South Africa, with at least 22 people slain in the last 10 days. Hundreds more have been injured and as many as 10,000 have fled their homes, as analysts struggle for explanations as to what triggered the violence.

* Anti-foreigner attacks rage in South Africa
Photos: Anti-foreigner attacks rage in South Africa
* Foreigners Targeted in South Africa
Video: Foreigners Targeted in South Africa

South Africans woke Monday to shocking front-page images of a man in flames, one of several victims to be burned alive. Several newspapers reported that onlookers in the township of Reiger Park, east of Johannesburg, laughed as the man rocked in agony.

Nobel Peace Prize laureate Desmond Tutu summed up the mood of despair with a plea to "please stop the violence now. This is not how we behave. These are our sisters and brothers. Please, please stop."

South African President Thabo Mbeki also called for an end to the "shameful and criminal acts."

During apartheid, political violence sometimes involved setting victims on fire, on occasion after "necklacing" them with spare tires that pinned their arms to their sides.

The victims of the latest violence are mainly southern African migrants, in particular Zimbabweans, drawn to South Africa in hopes of finding jobs. South Africans also have been attacked.

Violence in several neighborhoods continued Monday, with attackers burning dozens of foreigners' shacks and families fleeing their homes. The body of a man who had been chopped and burned was recovered by police in Ramaphosa township, east of Johannesburg. Newspaper reports suggested he was Malawian.

Victims and witnesses describe chilling attacks: hundreds of people armed with axes, clubs and metal bars going from shack to shack, purging districts of foreigners; victims being clubbed insensible with concrete slabs and then burned, or being locked into their shacks, which were then set alight.

In Diepsloot, northwest of Johannesburg, one of the townships hit by violence, locals described heavily armed attackers singing "Umshini Wami," or "Bring Me My Machine Gun," a song that has its origins in the ruling African National Congress' armed struggle against apartheid. The song was linked to ANC President Jacob Zuma's campaign to become party leader.

"People were singing that song and attacking people," said Jimmy Thutse, 54, a maintenance worker and Diepsloot resident. "People are saying these Zimbabweans must go home now because they are taking our jobs. They don't need these people any more. Everyone is saying, 'We are full here. We can't get a job. We can't get anything.' "

Zuma has condemned the attacks. However, some ANC politicians have suggested the violence of recent days is primarily criminal, not xenophobic, in nature.

But Vincent Williams, an analyst with the Southern African Migration Project, said surveys in 1997 and 2006 showed South Africa was among the least tolerant nations toward migrants. One-quarter of South Africans wanted a ban on foreign migrants and about 22% wanted them sent home, according to the 1997 survey. The results were almost the same in 2006.

"Over 10 years anti-foreigner sentiment remained more or less the same, and in some cases increased, particularly from the point of view of resource issues: access to education, access to employment, access to healthcare," he said, adding that incidents of violence had occurred since the 1990s.

The clinic in Diepsloot was packed Friday when a crowd of people arrived carrying metal bars, clubs and axes, determined to purge all foreigners. Almost all of the patients were foreign migrants.

One mob leader walked into the clinic and ordered all the street vendors, who tend to be from Zimbabwe or Mozambique, to stand up. He ordered staff to close the clinic because the patients were foreigners, not South Africans.

"People started standing up and going out one by one. Everybody just left," said a nurse who asked not to be named because the government forbids healthcare personnel to speak to journalists. The clinic stayed open, but no more patients came that day.

About half a mile away, about 100 angry men rampaged in a neighborhood as South African residents showed the attackers where foreigners lived.

"Some were already pointing to say that this shack belongs to a foreigner. Most of the people don't want us," said resident Decent Mgcini, a 20-year-old Zimbabwean who is unemployed but earns about $135 a month doing odd jobs. "I was angry. I was terrified. Look at that door. They put an ax through the door."

Williams, the analyst, said the attacks were more likely to have been organized than spontaneous, which would explain how the violence spread rapidly from one township to another. Similar violence in the '90s was organized, he said.

"It's organized. It's not spontaneous," he said. "To me, the question of who it is, is a more important question than why it is happening."

Paul Graham of the Institute for Democracy in South Africa said xenophobia was deep-rooted in South Africa and getting worse. But he said the trigger for the "outbreak of cleansing" was unclear.

"We can see the tinder lying on the ground which could blaze up, but who struck the match is not clear," he said

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In short, there are alot of illegal migrants from neighbouring countries (Zimbabwe, Somali, Kenya) in South Africa. alot of them cause trouble and are responsible for alot of the organised crime. The government has opened the boarders to these people but the local South Africans don't want them there because they take their jobs (because the locals are lazy) and are responsible for alot of the underworld crime. The locals are turning on these immigrants (they somehow know how to pick them apart from the local africans).
Lets hope they don't start turning on people of other skin colour and race (i.e the White Europeans, Indians, Malays, Arabs etc) because that would be the end of that country. It will become another Zimbabwe.

Mustang

lol
Reaction score
i'm waiting for THA DON GOTTI or the other guy to come and start saying it was because "hectics"

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
ffs get my name out ya mouth kid.

shoaib akhtar a hectik? lol the only similarity is hes roided up but not for weight training, its for recovery of his hectik hamstring that keeps tearing

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ffs get my name out ya mouth kid.

shoaib akhtar a hectik? lol the only similarity is hes roided up but not for weight training, its for recovery of his hectik hamstring that keeps tearing
meh he's a joke. not a fan at all tbh.

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-06/15/content_8372838.htm

Mozambican man burned alive by mob in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG, June 14 (Xinhua) -- A Mozambican man was burned alive Saturday by mob near Pretoria, the police said.

The 30-year-old victim was stoned and burned in the Atteridgeville township, said Captain Thomas Mufamadi.

He said the mob, estimated at some 300 people, accused the victim of setting fire to a shack on Friday.

"They are alleging that he burned a shack yesterday," he said.

Mufamadi added that police officers did not consider the incident linked to the recent wave of xenophobic attacks targeting immigrants from other African countries.

The violence, which started early last month in South Africa, has left at least 62 people dead, government communications head Themba Maseko said on Thursday. At least 21 of the victims were South African nationals.

Even though, clearly, nobody cares about what's going on on the other side of the world, just thought i'd add this here.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
hmm, this is the country that'll host the Fifa World Cup in 2 years time?

i hope fifa now knows its error in selecting south africa

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Actually it would be awesome there. the stadiums being built are great, the people are great, it's just such a crime riddled country and too many socio-political and socio-economic issues that are tearing it apart.

BUT I don't think the country will be ready for the FIFA world cup considering they've had to cut power due to the overwhelming demand (mind you, they're electricity provider do have solutions to the problem and it won't be long term).

It's just sad to hear things like this happening =/

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Actually it would be awesome there. the stadiums being built are great, the people are great, it's just such a crime riddled country and too many socio-political and socio-economic issues that are tearing it apart.

BUT I don't think the country will be ready for the FIFA world cup considering they've had to cut power due to the overwhelming demand (mind you, they're electricity provider do have solutions to the problem and it won't be long term).

It's just sad to hear things like this happening =/
south africa has a good enough reputation and a famous figurehead in Nelson Mandela, and the world cup will be presented well for the TV screens

but the issues you talk about can stain Fifa's credibility

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lol try living there though, you'd run back here in 2 days tops. It does have a good reputation but violent crime is an everyday occurence. You're very likely to get hijacked/shot/held up in your home or if you're lucky have your wallet stolen (but then identity theft is a huge issue there too lol) It's really scary actually.

Thing is it's getting a bit late for Fifa to make any changes now, S.A. can pull it off, that not the problem, the problem will be with unsuspecting tourists and visitors who will venture into places that are a no-go for the average South African. And with all this crap going on now, it could just make things worse if the local black South Africans decide to turn on all the other races, which they very likely could.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
yeah, my previous comments werent meant to praise south africa btw

have you lived in south africa?

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ouch..

Africa sounds like a scary place to live - no mercy at all

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
yeah, my previous comments werent meant to praise south africa btw

have you lived in south africa?
lol just checking :p it's not as bad as Zimbabwe though.

spent 3 months there not long ago, also have all my family there.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem in Africa is the white people

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
This is ******* scary. I'm planning to go to South Africa for the 2010 WC. I'm now having second thoughts...

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Durban is the best part of RSA. Jo'burg is fkn scary esp at night, there's like a murder every 24 mins or something there.

Aust would be more than git to host a w'c but they need min 12 40k capacity stadiums.

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
^^You been there?

Actually Cape Town is the best. Durban is pretty scary also. Jo'burg is scary but it's not bad if you know where to go.

Aren't they thinking of shifting the WC here if all doesn't go well in S.A? I'd say we'd do well hosting it, just need a few more stadiums.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
capetown is b'ful too.
jo'burg is like sth central la or harare, you wudn't wanna be in the projects there all by yourself when the sun goes down

Khanzeera

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
or when the sun is up. lol. break-ins and hijacks in broad daylight. Ruthless is the word and the police are useless. They're more interested in how much money you have (if you're a guy) or trying to chat you up (if you're female).
Mind you the gangs are usually not run by the local black people...

Status
Not open for further replies.