Michael Maguire agrees to become NSW State of Origin coach

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tis an interesting choice and I guess after Sticky pulled out, who else was there?

I do like that he is the polar opposite to Freddy and will definitely install toughness and grit rather than expressing how the grass feels on your toes.

But his track record isn't the best of late, but in fairness, his cattle has been shockingly bad. At least this way, we can see what he does with a team of great players. I also feel he would put players like Trell Mit in their place and I'm guessing he would also only pick players who are a hundred percent ready to go. Again, opposite of Freddy.

This signing should also get rid of any Roosters favouritism and maybe try Cam Murray at lock instead of Yeo.

One way to find out

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is he the first (aside from the early door ones) player to caoch origin and never played one?

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is he the first (aside from the early door ones) player to caoch origin and never played one?
No, there have been a couple - Craig Bellamy, Graham Murray and Phil Gould all coached without representing as players.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't make a difference anyway, the ones that played and coached weren't very successful either.

I think Ricky and Wayne Pearce have got the best records of the played and coached.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Settle down Steve. If you don't agree, that's fine. No need to get worked up. All of those are current NRL head coaches. Madge is only an assistant these days for a reason. We'll see how he goes.
All good bruz fair comment

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Not a bad appointment, I don’t think. The blues have the talent, what they need is a coach who will tell them hard truths to get the best out of them… one who will pick on form and not favouritism would also be helpful.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
What happens if they decide to schedule a rep round during origin? As per few years back
Nz v England
With a curtain raiser of Cook Islands v France
PNG v Fiji on another day