_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He needs to be given lessons by Hetherington

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You know, he did more in that last game than he has for the whole season. He ran, he tackled, he scored a try. It was far and away his best performance in FG. Granted it probably followed one of his worst in FG the week before, but at least there is a spark of hope that he may be on the improve. I think he has earned a break from the hate for at least the next couple of games so we can see if he has finally found his legs in FG or if it was just an Indian Summer.....

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nice though that thought is there would be next to no chance of Canberra letting Hodgson contract run through. They will/have resign him to an extension before we could even get a sniff of being able to negotiate. That's the problem with all these wonderful suggestions. The clubs either re-sign them before other clubs can approach them or if the player wants out they already know where they want to go.
We can only dream of having Hodgson in this team. He changed the dynamics for the Raiders last season, huge part of why they were so damaging through the middle third.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing I struggle with is, if Lichaa not being able to pass from the ground is actually his shortcoming and not a deliberate tactic - wouldn't the coaching staff put in time to rectify it?
We are left wondering if they even train.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanna ask on your opinions with Michael Lichaa.. I think he's a great player and has a lot of potential but the reason he looks shit half the time is because des. When watching him at Cronulla he was a beast, used to always kick from dummy half, run for dummy half and used to gameplay. I absolutely love him. What do you guys think?
Michael ?
Is that you ?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Lichaa tried, but his glaring deficiencies are that he often makes the wrong decisions. Saw a game a few weeks back when we were camped on the opposition line and went wide on the second. Three times (3rd, 4th and 5th) he passed to players at the sideline who had zero room to move and it killed the play. Didn't even get a kick in because our player was tackled into touch. So he lacks vision. The other evidence of this is that on the last he often makes a short dart from dh and can't identify where our halves are and winds up passing to the closest prop. Our forwards cop criticism for being ball hogs.

The other big weakness has been talked about already. He always looks to make that short run with a late pass to a forward who's had to slow down and is flatfooted to cop a hospital pass. If he could just get an early well timed pass to a moving forward our pack would have the chance to dominate. They simply can't play to their potential if they're getting the ball with the opposition in their face.

You can't coach vision, but if we could break him out of his habit of the shuffle for three steps before passing, it lets our forwards play hard. Vision could develop with time, but breaking a player out of a bad habit shouldn't take as long as this. If he does get a new contract for us, I'd tell him in no uncertain terms that if he continues to persist with the short shuffle prior to passing he'll be learning to lose that habit in the lower grades. If he's going to dart from dh then do it for real. He does occasionally make a good one, but people know that 7/10 times he's going to make that short shuffle and kill the momentum of our forwards. Now any opposition coach with their pay knows that this is how Lichaa plays so they can prepare their defense ahead of time secure in the knowledge that if they rush aggressively to contain the first forward wide if the play the ball, that 7/10 times they'll dominate our flat footed forward.

I'm frustrated with Lichaa, but if he changes his mindset I think that he could quickly become a still boring hooker but a hooker that allows the forwards to run with momentum. But at this stage I'd be happy for a youngster like Woolford to hopefully step up when they are ready physically for the NRL.

Last edited:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He scored on Monday due to a massive on-line defensive error. Kudos for going for it (and getting it) but 99/100 times he gets wrapped up and it's a wasted tackle.

I wonder if he is actually enjoying his footy. He always looks so worried.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its time to move on from him. You buy these highly rated young players from lower grades, sometimes they step up and sometimes they don't. In hindsight its a poor decision, but at the time there was a number of other clubs also interested in Lichaa.

Very solid at defence but absolutely infuriating that our attack starts with him and he stifles it. We've seen what he has to offer at this point and its time to move on.

I'm actually kind of nervous we will offer him a pity contract given that there isnt any other news circulating about where he will end up next season.

Reesy

Waterboy
Reaction score
I thought this thread was actually a gee up. How can anyone describe Lichaa as a great player.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa is currently being trained to kick feom dummy half and be a goal kicker. Has been from the start of the season.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lichaa is currently being trained to kick feom dummy half and be a goal kicker. Has been from the start of the season.
That's actually really promising if true. But do you know when he'll actually start kicking away?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's actually really promising if true. But do you know when he'll actually start kicking away?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No idea man. It's supposed to have been happening since early on the season. You'd think he's be coached up by now. But everyone's seen he kicks off for us now

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How is it Des' fault that he cant even pass off the ground? lol
Following a chain of logic - if Des had a problem with it he'd train him to pass off the ground or drop him for someone who can, so if Des doesn't have a problem with it I tend to believe it's a coached tactic

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strangely enough it's contract time and i think he is playing as well as he has since being here.
Should we keep him, probs not if there is cap pressure.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa and Mbye will be at the top of the pecking order in 3-4 yrs.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Following a chain of logic - if Des had a problem with it he'd train him to pass off the ground or drop him for someone who can, so if Des doesn't have a problem with it I tend to believe it's a coached tactic
Who the hell said he cant or doesn't pass of the ground?? What a joke, he does it all the time and he actually has a rocket pass when its needed. Lichaa will be a completely different player with Foran in the team as you will have a dominant voice calling for the ball.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who the hell said he cant or doesn't pass of the ground?? What a joke, he does it all the time and he actually has a rocket pass when its needed. Lichaa will be a completely different player with Foran in the team as you will have a dominant voice calling for the ball.
The most accurate and quickest pass I seen him throw was against Storm in the trial when he set up Kas

Status
Not open for further replies.