Mentally ill man, 23, dies in custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mentally ill man, 23, dies in custody By Melissa Jenkins
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-police-custody/story-e6freonf-1225870410223

A DISTURBED young Melbourne man, who had to be restrained by up to six police officers, has died in custody.
Emergency services were called to a Meadow Heights home at 2.10am (AEST) today to deal with a mentally ill 23-year-old man who had self-harmed.

Superintendent Jack Blayney said the man's parents were in the house but were uninjured.

"He'd burnt his hand in boiling water, he was acting irrationally and clearly suffering from some mental health issue," he said.

"He was (verbally) aggressive towards the police. They were concerned there was going to be physical confrontation so he was taken into custody for his own safety."

The man was handcuffed with his hands in front of him and put in the back of a divisional van, to be taken to the Northern Hospital.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"Enroute, the male was behaving very violently and banging his head against the internal walls of the divisional van. He was also removing his clothes," Supt Blayney said.

Due to security concerns, police decided to take the man to the Broadmeadows police station and notified the ambulance.

At the station, he was held on the ground by up to six police officers until ambulance officers could assess him, Supt Blayney said.

"He was being violent and struggling and very difficult to control," he said.

"To get him off the ground would have been too dangerous.

"They (police) were concerned about him further self-harming."

About 20 to 30 minutes after arriving at the station and having been sedated, the man was put into the ambulance, along with two police officers, which was heading to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Minutes after leaving the police station, while on Pascoe Vale Rd, Glenroy, the man's conditioned deteriorated and he was given CPR.

Further attempts were made to resuscitate the man at the hospital but was was pronounced dead at 4.45am.

"We deal with these things on a day-to-day basis, it's a regular occurrence dealing with mental health issues, and it's really tragic circumstances here," Supt Blayney said.

The homicide squad is investigating, with oversight from the Ethical Standards Department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very very sad stuff. 6 man restraints are absolutely dangerous, and i can only assume nobody took charge of the restraint. this guy didn't need to die, and someone's going to get their head kicked for crushing this guy's chest. mind you, i did have to laugh at the fact he managed to try to take his clothes off while handcuffed.

another awesome plug for the police and mental health services :( rip

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds suss, how does someone just die? I reckon a rookie pummeled him and he had a heartie.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds suss, how does someone just die? I reckon a rookie pummeled him and he had a heartie.
obviously we won't know until this goes to inquest (which it will), and then we will be able to see the police and coroner's reports.
from what i know about psychiatry, and i like to think i know a little bit, this guy was psychotic. however, to restrain a highly agitated and aggressive person should only take 4 people (at least in a mental health setting it does). police officers have capsicum spray, and the report doesn't say if it was used or not. having said that, it's not uncommon for psych patients to require tazing twice before they're subdued.

in my experience in restraining people, never more than 4. anymore than that and it gets messy and people get hurt. i am of the belief this man's chest was crushed while being restrained face down on cement, because 23 is damn young to have a cardiac arrest. these types of death happen in the UK psych units from time to time, because they don't use seclusion rooms and the person is restrained on the bare floor. ribs snap and cause all sorts of injuries, things dislodge or people just plain old asphyxiate.

deaths in custody shouldn't happen.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Life should be preserved at all costs, who knows what has happend to this young dude to send him on a spiral, who is to say he hasn,t been sold dirty drugs or been poisoned?
Theres ways to handle things properly, societies heros can over do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.