Official Members Update from the CEO

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

In these tough COVID times we thought that it was important to update you with information in regard to your club.

There is no denying that this season has been a tough one for all Bulldogs fans.

However, be assured that we are working extremely hard to lay the platform for sustainable success in the future.

With the results of the team at the front and centre of all of our minds, there are many areas of our business that we need to update you on below:
Football Update
Selection

It has been a difficult year based on injury and unavailability.

As part of that the club hasn’t been able to pick its best seventeen at any stage of the season, with 33 players having been used in fifteen games.

In addition, seven of those used have come from outside the original Top 30 (Aaron Schoupp, Ava Seumanufagai, Brad Deitz, Jackson Topine, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Chris Patolo, Falakiko Manu).

We also haven’t been helped by injury with the list of those unavailable a long one:

Jeremy Marshall-King (long term injury)
Christian Crichton (long term injury)
Jayden Okunbor (long term injury)
Chris Smith (long term injury)
Adam Elliott (long term injury)
Nick Cotric (season ending injury)
Brad Deitz (long term injury)
Josh Jackson (long term injury)
Lachlan Lewis (long term injury concussion)
Raymond Faitala-Mariner (long term injury)
Corey Allan (four games out)

Added to that have been the suspensions handed down to Jack Hetherington (5 Weeks) and Luke Thompson (4 weeks), plus the unavailability last week of Dylan Napa, Sione Katoa, Brandon Wakeham, Corey Waddell and Aaron Schoupp.

In summary, this has made for a tough year in terms of continuity of selection and consistency.

Player Signings and Retention

This week provided some great news for Bulldogs supporters with both Jeremy Marshall-King and Ava Seumanufagaire-signing with the Club for a further two years.

Our Football Committee is now diligently and responsibly working towards the retention of players for season 2022 and beyond, along with discussions to complement the signings of Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton and Brent Naden, by bringing in the right players to add value to our squad.

We are hopeful of having further announcements in this area in the coming weeks.

Development and Pathways

We are delighted with the progress being made within our Pathways system, including the recent NRL debuts of Aaron Schoupp, Jackson Topine, Chris Patolo, Kiko Manu and Bailey Biondi-Odo.

In addition, we have star junior Paul Alamoti joining our Top 30 for next season.

We are also looking to create a new Centre of Excellence that will be used by all of our Pathways teams, with more information to follow in coming months.

Overseeing all of this will be former Bulldogs player, Barry Ward, who was recently appointed as General Manager of Pathways and Junior League. Many of you will know Barry and will understand what a great asset he will be in this role.

Player Departures

It is always sad to see players leave Belmore but decisions have had to be made in relation to creating the right depth in our squad for next season.

For that reason we have recently seen Dallin Watene-Zelezniak head to the Warriors and Nick Meaney join the Storm next season.

As always they have represented the club with pride and we know that Nick will be looking to finish the season strongly for us in the coming weeks.

Steve Hansen

We have been extremely fortunate to have former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen visit us for 10 days in recent weeks.

It was the first time that Steve had been able to come across and meet everyone face to face and it was great to be able to canvass his views in a number of areas and for him to talk with Coaches, Players and Staff.

WATCH BELOW | Steve Hansen speaks on his visit to Belmore.
Junior League

Our Junior League has been going from strength to strength in terms of numbers and we are delighted that more young players than ever will take the field this season.

On top of that great news we are also celebrating 100 years of our Junior League and as part of that celebration we have created a video that acknowledges each club in our Junior League In Focus series.

WATCH | Junior League In Focus Series

Below is a link to our latest instalment, featuring the Chester Hill Hornets.
Membership Update
COVID-19 Impacts & Upcoming Matches

As the Greater Sydney lockdown has been extended, our match against the Sydney Roosters this Saturday will again be played behind closed doors at Bankwest Stadium.

Whilst we understand these conditions impact our Member & Fan experience, our highest priority is the ongoing health and safety of the community, and we thank you for your ongoing patience and support.

As soon as a decision has been reached on a suitable venue for our Round 20 match against the Gold Coast Titans, it will be announced via the Club's website, email and social media channels.

We are currently in discussion with our Sydney venue operators, with Belmore Sports Ground also being considered, however dependent on Government COVID regulations.

Round 20 v Gold Coast Titans

We are currently in discussion with our Sydney Venues around where we will play this match against the Titans and will let you know as soon as a decision has been reached.

Belmore Sports Ground will be considered for this game dependent on Government COVID regulations

Round 21 v Wests Tigers

We are on track to hold this match at Belmore Sports Ground dependent on Government COVID regulations.

Members Forum

Due to recent Government COVID regulations we had to postpone our latest Members Forum at Canterbury League Club.

We are now working towards a new date and will let you know as soon as we have formalised one.
Stadia Update

Government Update
We are in continual dialogue with State and Local Government around potential funding, although no decisions have yet been made around where that funding may be allocated.

Belmore Sports Ground

The Bulldogs remain long term tenants at Belmore Sports Ground.

This is where our Head Office and NRL Training Facilities reside and we have no intention of moving.

The Club will continue to play all Junior League Grand Finals at Belmore Sports Ground.

The Club will play all pathways representative home games (male and female) at Belmore Sports Ground.

The Club are about to commence a major refurbishment of our offices at Belmore Sports Ground.

In summary we are, and remain, committed to Belmore Sports Ground as the home base of the Bulldogs.

The ability of playing more NRL games at Belmore Sports Ground will continue to be controlled by the NRL TV Rights deal and State Government stadia policy.

We are in active and ongoing discussions with all levels of government (local, state and federal), as well as the NRL, to lobby for more funding to both maintain and upgrade Belmore Sports Ground.

The Bulldogs remain resolutely committed to Belmore Sports Ground being our home base into the future.
Sponsorship Update
Carroll & O'Dea

The Club is delighted to announce that Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers have come on board as Naming Rights Partner of our Membership program for the next three years.

Managing Partner, Hanaan Indari, has been a lifelong Bulldogs fan and will bring a real energy and passion to the partnership.

We look forward as a club to working with Carroll & O'Dea to build on our Membership program in the future.

WATCH BELOW | Carroll & O'Dea partner with the Bulldogs
Carroll & O'Dea partner with the Bulldogs
Community Update
The Club recently appointed Fayssal Sari to the role of GM – Community.

Fayssal, previously worked for the Club and is currently creating a Strategic Plan that will expand all of our Community and Charity work.

Engagement Levels through our current programs are outstanding and we look forward to that work continuing in the coming months.

What it means to be a Bulldogs supporter

Let us leave you with a Video that we think sums up what the Bulldogs are all about as we invited 100 year-old Lifelong supporter Thelma to our Queen’s Birthday match against the Dragons.

WATCH BELOW | Thelma's Queen's Birthday Bulldogs Experience

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ehhh that Football update rubs me the wrong way. I get we've had injuries and that hasn't been ideal for a squad already struggling with depth. But an acknowledgement that what we've dished out this season is nowhere near good enough wouldn't have gone astray. Especially off the back of a record breaking 66-0 smashing.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Poor Thelma has hung around 100 years to watch the current squad of hasbeans, I feel sorry for her having to watch.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
They said everything we already know but this quote I like (We are hopeful of having further announcements in this area in the coming weeks).

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fluff piece.

In regards to the team part - even if we listed our strongest 17 week in, week out (no injuries, no suspensions) sorry to say but we'd still be far from competitive.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any danger we are trying to fill the GM of Football, to me that should up the top of things to do

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most switched on fans would be well aware of everything there.

I really couldn't see much changing if we happened to have a full strength team either so using player unavailability as a excuse is a stretch.

The only interesting thing there is Alamoti being in the top 30 next year.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did someone educated write that up or do they expect us to be stupid and Believe what they have said. Roosters are an example of a injury prone team who are showing how it’s done. Enough of the fucking excuses! There isn’t a single excuse a professional organisation like the dogs have for going so poorly constantly for the last few years. Now go run off to your nice cosy office thinking of the next bullshit excuse.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any danger we are trying to fill the GM of Football, to me that should up the top of things to do
Mate I fully agree with you but I also think we need the right person and cant just fill it for the sake of filling it. We have already tried to get Peter Parr and Gus so obviously the club knows how important it is.

Frank Ponissi would be handy........

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I fully agree with you but I also think we need the right person and cant just fill it for the sake of filling it. We have already tried to get Peter Parr and Gus so obviously the club knows how important it is.

Frank Ponissi would be handy........
True, its just depressing. With the right person i think recruitment would be looking much better

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The three stooges that picture of the three of them and the lame excuse doesn’t fill me with confidence nor am I as excited as I was before a ball was kicked this season. Fmd feels as though we have really gone backwards this season.