Melbourne & North Queensland's $1.5M Salary Cap Loophole for Cameron Smith & Johnathan Thurson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If they do this.
Every other club must also be allowed to make a payment of the same amout to a player of their choosing outside the salary cap if they wish.
Has to be a level playing field.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If this is the case then so be it. But where are you getting this info? Its not what the newspaper article says. Not that i take their say as gospel.
ALL of the money should go to charity though dont you think? Not line their pockets.
In any case, theyre still making money out of an NRL sanctioned event and its not included in the salary cap.
By the way, thurston has had plenty of wayward drunken moments. Clearly you have conveniently forgotten them.
From the NRL. Yes Thurston is an imperfect human but he hasn't done the peptides, hasn't been charged with criminal offences, has singlehandedly made the cowboys the franchise they are, been the best halfback - 5/8 football has seen and done it all while quietly helping kids out having a smile on his face. This isn't about money for them they both have more than god now. It's about the "testimonial" side of things and I think it is petty of people to not take the time to reflect on just how good these two blokes have been in their chosen profession. I know I hand a "send off" when I retired. Realistically how is this any different.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hold on a FREAKING second... they get $750,000 EACH for one TRIAL game?

FFS this is the shittest of shit IF true!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
From the NRL. Yes Thurston is an imperfect human but he hasn't done the peptides, hasn't been charged with criminal offences, has singlehandedly made the cowboys the franchise they are, been the best halfback - 5/8 football has seen and done it all while quietly helping kids out having a smile on his face. This isn't about money for them they both have more than god now. It's about the "testimonial" side of things and I think it is petty of people to not take the time to reflect on just how good these two blokes have been in their chosen profession. I know I hand a "send off" when I retired. Realistically how is this any different.
JT was the dickhead at the centre of the whole Coffs Harbour shit. He's not the saint you're painting. Why else do you think we released him? It had nothing to do with salary cap space. He was on peanuts at the time.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did you work in a profession that centred around competition? We're you watched, followed and chased to work for direct competitors? We're the wages regulated? That may be why it could be different

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
JT was the dickhead at the centre of the whole Coffs Harbour shit. He's not the saint you're painting. Why else do you think we released him? It had nothing to do with salary cap space. He was on peanuts at the time.
I'm not saying JT was a saint for his whole life, but no need to rewrite history to suit an argument. Both Folkes and JT have said he would've stayed at the Dogs if the Dogs could offer more money. You do remember the year don't you? 2004. Straight after our cap problems and we were in the process of releasing stars that we couldn't afford to pay. We didn't have a cracker for a young player who had only played a couple of games when we had two guns in the halves already. The cows offered him a motza. The point is JT has never been formally accused of any indiscretions in 14 years of footy and whatever you think he may or may not have done he has brought tremendous excitement to the lives of tens of thousands of kids all over the country

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you work in a profession that centred around competition? We're you watched, followed and chased to work for direct competitors? We're the wages regulated? That may be why it could be different
I've been the subject of public and private scrutiny for over 40 years, had journos ring me a 2 in the morning looking for comment on one allegation or another, had to stand up and represent my organisation on major issues and even had to sue a few media types for defamation. all that with at times over 100 different watchdog agencies holding me and my organisation to account for every action or inaction. Does that count?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've been the subject of public and private scrutiny for over 40 years, had journos ring me a 2 in the morning looking for comment on one allegation or another, had to stand up and represent my organisation on major issues and even had to sue a few media types for defamation. all that with at times over 100 different watchdog agencies holding me and my organisation to account for every action or inaction. Does that count?
No why would that count when they are two different situations??? You didnt play sport in a competitive arena... or did you?

No you didn't

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No why would that count when they are two different situations??? You didnt play sport in a competitive arena... or did you?

No you didn't
Oh so the only place you can be put under extreme and immediate pressure and be subject to continuous, immediate and searching review is sport? Wake up mate. Lots of industries have employees under unceasing pressure and spotlight. It's just that these ones get a fortune while doing it. Even so I still don't get the point you were trying to make given the context that I provided.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh so the only place you can be put under extreme and immediate pressure and be subject to continuous, immediate and searching review is sport? Wake up mate. Lots of industries have employees under unceasing pressure and spotlight. It's just that these ones get a fortune while doing it. Even so I still don't get the point you were trying to make given the context that I provided.
Don't forget the competitive aspect of it................................. You are comparing your retirement gift to thank you for years of service to a retirement gift that can be used to gain an unfair advantage in a competitive sport funded by a body who apply equal rules and regulations across all the employees so that the competition remains fair... figure it out yourself why its different.........

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't forget the competitive aspect of it................................. You are comparing your retirement gift to thank you for years of service to a retirement gift that can be used to gain an unfair advantage in a competitive sport funded by a body who apply equal rules and regulations across all the employees so that the competition remains fair... figure it out yourself why its different.........
Except for one very important thing. These blokes are already on a pre-existing contract that is part of the cap. Locked and loaded and has been for a couple of years. Now, at the end of their career they are prepared to lend their names to a meaningless game for charity and pick up something extra along the way. Has nothing to do with the competition. Has nothing to do with the already existing salary cap. Only has to do with them receiving some recognition and still giving something back to the community. It can only be held in the last year of their already existing contract so there is no issue around fairness. Frankly, I don't care two hoots about the game or whether they get any money. I doubt I would even watch it on TV. Its only a trial but if that is a means of recognising their contribution to the game then good on them and the only reason why other clubs would get narky about it is because they didn't think of it first, but like most things now they are aware of it you will see it more often. Don't forget its only a rort if you are not in on it.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Except for one very important thing. These blokes are already on a pre-existing contract that is part of the cap. Locked and loaded and has been for a couple of years. Now, at the end of their career they are prepared to lend their names to a meaningless game for charity and pick up something extra along the way. Has nothing to do with the competition. Has nothing to do with the already existing salary cap. Only has to do with them receiving some recognition and still giving something back to the community. It can only be held in the last year of their already existing contract so there is no issue around fairness. Frankly, I don't care two hoots about the game or whether they get any money. I doubt I would even watch it on TV. Its only a trial but if that is a means of recognising their contribution to the game then good on them and the only reason why other clubs would get narky about it is because they didn't think of it first, but like most things now they are aware of it you will see it more often. Don't forget its only a rort if you are not in on it.
Okay I didn't know about the "only be held in the last year of their contract" part lol

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I mean you should never wish injury on anyone but this is as close as you get to having a chuckle if they both got season ending injuries in this game

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont see much of a big deal both will still be getting paid "market value" or whatever the nrl deem that to be for that season so its basically just a golden handshake from there respective clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.