Melbourne, Home of Rugby League and State of Origin Between NSW and QLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotRayHadley

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah Right...

Does it rankle anyone else that we cough up the chance to host a home game to the Mexicans?

Could you see Mexicans hosting a game of freddy fumble between them and Boers in the Emerald City or Brisvegas?

Yep, that's right FAT CHANCE.

Regardless of where you come from that is the fact.
It can't be money? Etihad holds the same as Suncorp. Which is less than ANZ.
Mr Gallop, if Mexicans want to see our game, they can travel or watch on TV.
These fixtures only have sentimental value to the God's Children of Sydney and mob in the North.
And that is who you hurt when you move them south.
Both cities have lost on the entertainment dollar being spent in their towns in the lead up and post-match festivities.
Who are you trying to suck up to?

20,000 ex-pat Kiwis and NSW/Qlds that are trapped in Melbourne and who attend Storm games?

Should we change the venue of our most cherished battle for the entertainment or curiosity value of some Mexicans that have no emotional attachment to the game being played?

When the Storm is actually full of Mexicans or we have actually got some playing in the NRL, let's talk.
Until then, leave Mexico to Mexicans. When they can field a team they can play with us.
Our GAME stays at home...

Gallop get with the program. Focus on the game and not the fluff and sensational crap. Harden on real issues or get out.

GO'N'GET STUFFED!
Reg's mate.>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

gregh23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As a 'Mexican' who follows Rugby League closely, I am obviously rapt to see this game being held at Docklands tonight as I will be there.

I do see the point of view of those from Qld and NSW that this is just about the pinnacle of Rugby League in Australia and therefore it should not be played in Melbourne. However, I think that in terms of trying to promote the game in states other than Queensland and NSW, then this is a fantastic choice. If the NRL wants to look at promotion outside of the main 2 states then showcase games should be promoted in cities such as Melbourne on an irregular basis.

I am not a Storm fan but I think they are making some good progress in many ways here in Melbourne. Games are consistently attracting 10,000 plus at an ordinary venue which is horrible to watch League at. Clubs in Sydney attract similar numbers and these crowds in many cases are deemed to be satisfactory. Next year, they move into a brand new stadium suited perfectly to League which will hopefully help crowd numbers.

And also, whilst the Storm 1st Grade is currently doesn't have Victorians in it, surely a sign of progress is the success of the Storm U/18's in making that rep final against the Dogs?

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And also, whilst the Storm 1st Grade is currently doesn't have Victorians in it, surely a sign of progress is the success of the Storm U/18's in making that rep final against the Dogs?
I know one of their queensland players in that team. Still far from being a Victorian team. He was also the one to step up to under 20's. They need to show some loyalty to said Mexicans

TJ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think it is good because it allows no advantage to either state in the overall context of the series ie having two home games. I am not from melbourne... it is not gay lol

NotRayHadley

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Greg no tears please, this is meant to be a dig at Gallop and the NRL. I wanna go to Mexico one day and the food's great.
But while you are here...

The Storm only live there and it must be an extra home game for the Warriors down there. Frankly you are welcome to have them because they have certainly picked up the short person attention seeking attitude since they got there.
But the experiment has going for a while now and we aren't seeing that much progress with development of the game there and considering the ongoing investment.

Let the AFL bring an AFL Victoria Vs South Australia or Victoria Vs Western Australia to Sydney or Brisbane.
Maybe take the AFL Grand Final to Subiaco or Adelaide or Brisbane or the most beautiful cricket ground in the world, the SCG.
Could you imagine the tears? Even when there isn't a Vic team playing it doesn't move an inch and any suggestion is screamed down.
What about the Boxing Day test? Why don't we all take a turn?

Take an interstate U/18s fixture there though if it'll make you all feel better.
But Gallop has NO right to move this fixture there, ever.

Sort it or get out. Give the next bloke enough time clean the kaka up before we have to compete with a two round Super 15 week to week.

The ghost of Arthurson is creeping in like a fog and will choke us all...

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate calling them Mexicans... that implies that we are Americans...

NotRayHadley

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't you realise that moving the game to Melbourne is like two home games to Queensland every time.
They have never really had that much time for us down there...

But pass the bong if you are that relaxed about it, I need to chill before calling the game in my lounge room tonight. I need to be tip top and sharp.

Hey Gallop why don't they play a State of Origin in Auckland next year? Or Wellington? Maybe Port Moresby??

gregh23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No problems, your points are quite valid but comparing us moving the AFL Grand Final would be like the NRL Grand Final moving out of Sydney which in my view is a different argument.

You are spot on with the fans tonight. I was at Game 3 in 2006 and it was a predominant Queensland crowd that night. Unfortunately, I see the same problem tonight as very few Victorians in my experience will barrack for a NSW team over a Queensland team regardless of who is the underdog.

Status
Not open for further replies.