Opinion Medical Retirements

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No shock at all to see Finucane get medically retired today. We must be the only club not to rort this rule.

He was no chance to last 4 years and has barely made it through 2. The sharks should be made to include some of the payout under the cap for the next 2 years. They offered him the 4 years which gave them the advantage over other teams who would only go to 3.

Needs to be a rule based on the probability of them making it to the end of the contract. Finucane was busted before he signed.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the continual reference to Jacko and that it was an attempt by the dogs to try to cheat the cap. It was clear what job Josh wanted when he eventually retired. He had the appropriate training to do that job. It was not like he was given an ambassador role to keep him around the club, like Inglis. Jacko is working

But I am sure that Finucane will get medically retired and his contract for next year will be paid out and not on the Cap. I am glad that the Dogs didn't try to bring Finucane back, would have been another bad recruitment decision.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No shock at all to see Finucane get medically retired today. We must be the only club not to rort this rule.

He was no chance to last 4 years and has barely made it through 2. The sharks should be made to include some of the payout under the cap for the next 2 years. They offered him the 4 years which gave them the advantage over other teams who would only go to 3.

Needs to be a rule based on the probability of them making it to the end of the contract. Finucane was busted before he signed.
Another club could of offered him a 4 year deal and done the same thing assuming the player wants to medically retire and it's valid. There was a chance when Shark gave him that deal that Finucane would refuse to retire and keep pushing on.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the Jackson precedent some of whatever Finucane gets paid going forward HAS to be included in their Cap.

Always a Bulldog
I dont think it does if he is medically retired though ?

That's the rort. If you sign a bloke over 30 to a multi year deal you should get penalised

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We got a couple who need to be retired, problem is if they want to play on here they can’t choose to retire.

If only they realised they are shit it might help them decide.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he ends up working with Cronulla, they have to include into their cap, it’s basically like-for-like the Jacko scenario.

We’re a targeted club….simple.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I've got no problem with the Finucane retirement not counting to the cap, it's genuine, don't think neither the player nor club expected it to be less than 4 years.

But the Inglis and Burgess retirements were pure rorts, especially when both Inglis and Burgess tossed up the idea of coming back and playing footy again (eventually opting not to).

Speaking of retirement's, its not necessarily a retirement a cancellation of contract. Will Schuster's $1 million payout from Manly count to their cap?

Tommilroydoggies

Waterboy
Reaction score
I've got no problem with the Finucane retirement not counting to the cap, it's genuine, don't think neither the player nor club expected it to be less than 4 years.

But the Inglis and Burgess retirements were pure rorts, especially when both Inglis and Burgess tossed up the idea of coming back and playing footy again (eventually opting not to).

Speaking of retirement's, its not necessarily a retirement a cancellation of contract. Will Schuster's $1 million payout from Manly count to their cap?
From memory Inglis signed with a super league club briefly didn’t he?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Makes sense.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
According to zero tackle Finucane on 300k in 2025, so if correct his contract must have been front loaded.

Reaction score
SAD TO SEE BUT I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR DALE ONE OF THE VERY FEW PLAYERS THAT GAVE 100 PERCENT EVERY GAME IF I REMEMBER RIGHT HE CAPTAINED OUR UNDER TWENTYS FOR TWO YEARS WITH JACKO AND ANOTHER FULLA WENT ON TO PLAY WITH WARRIORS AND COWBOYS I THINK CAN NEVER REMEMBER HIS NAME WAS A FORWARD THE THREE OF THEM CAME THROUGH TOGETHER

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SAD TO SEE BUT I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR DALE ONE OF THE VERY FEW PLAYERS THAT GAVE 100 PERCENT EVERY GAME IF I REMEMBER RIGHT HE CAPTAINED OUR UNDER TWENTYS FOR TWO YEARS WITH JACKO AND ANOTHER FULLA WENT ON TO PLAY WITH WARRIORS AND COWBOYS I THINK CAN NEVER REMEMBER HIS NAME WAS A FORWARD THE THREE OF THEM CAME THROUGH TOGETHER
IMG_1146.jpeg

Last edited: