Mbye Hybrid 1/7 Role Isn't the Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye's being coached to play a hybrid fullback/half role, with kicking duties.

In my opinion, this is detrimental to the team, and the development of Mbye as a real fullback.

His kicking duties are not limited to clearance kicks (where he likely has a stronger boot than JMK or Frawley) - he is also putting in attacking kicks with the opposition's 40/30 - right next to Frawley or JMK.

This means we don't have our fullback, and arguably fastest most dangerous back, contesting attacking kicks. Positioning himself to make kicks also prevents him from supporting ball runners.

His kicking abilities so close to the opposition's try line are not good enough to warrant making him kick instead of Frawley or JMK.

Fullbacks have enough on their plate without having to worry about organising and kicking.

The team would be a better one if his role was simplified and he was able to put more effort into support play and contesting kicks.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my opinion, this is detrimental to the team, and the development of Mbye as a real fullback.

His kicking duties are not limited to clearance kicks (where he likely has a stronger boot than JMK or Frawley) - he is also putting in attacking kicks with the opposition's 40/30 - right next to Frawley or JMK.

This means we don't have our fullback, and arguably fastest most dangerous back, contesting attacking kicks. Positioning himself to make kicks also prevents him from supporting ball runners.

His kicking abilities so close to the opposition's try line are not good enough to warrant making him kick instead of Frawley or JMK.

Fullbacks have enough on their plate without having to worry about organising and kicking.

The team would be a better one if his role was simplified and he was able to put more effort into support play and contesting kicks.
One of several reasons we ain’t winning games. Watch other full backs like slater etc... they are almost first to the ball on kick returns and defence... they always contest and support play a lot of the times. Mbye has been semi solid at best. His attack still needs a lot of work and his support play is non exisistent. If he works on that he will be a lot more successfull and players like Klemmer, Woods, Martin and Jackson can make halfbreaka and offload to a steaming mbye...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yup, i have said it before. Pay needs to make Moses' job simple and not worry about the rest. Let him be the one on the end of attacking plays and just tell him trail the ball and look for opportunities to be on the end of an offload. Simple as that, everything else can be built on off the back of that.

The first try was setup just with him running onto the ball with a bit of space and using his footwork to break open the defence, that's all we need him doing every attaking set. Done the same thing at Penrith and he crossed for 2 tries.

Our halves as a whole do need to step up, Foran in particular. They need to be on the ball more and setting up the play so Moses can be in the positions we need him to be.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I didn't notice him doing any attacking kicks/grubber last night - not that I was paying particular attention. What I did notice though was that he was trailing the centres on either side of the field in attack looking to cop an offload from one of them - which is exactly what I would expect him to do. JMK is trailing the boppers because he is there anyway to act as DH when they get tackled so Mbye should be a little wider on tackles 2-4 which he seemed to do last night. All kind of makes sense to me and given he is the kicker most of the time that means he will always be onside in the chase downfield.....

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only aspect of Mbyes game that has been good is kick returns. All other areas have been average at best. He should be in the middle looking for opportunities for offloads and providing an extra option.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score

So that makes him forget his defensive structure,catching the ball on the full and makes him kick down the throat of the opposition back 3.Not to mention his non support play.He is clueless as a footballer,you can’t put brains in statues! A few weeks in ISP to learn the position might help.
750k per year ,, anybody see value for money?.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So that makes him forget his defensive structure,catching the ball on the full and makes him kick down the throat of the opposition back 3.Not to mention his non support play.He is clueless as a footballer,you can’t put brains in statues! A few weeks in ISP to learn the position might help.
750k per year ,, anybody see value for money?.
I’m not excusing any of his personal shortcomings. Just making the point that he’s not being used properly, IMO.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mbye needs to just back up in attack and run off peoples hips aka Rod Silver.. I’d play him in the centers and Hoppa in the second row.. Keep JMK at Hooker , BMoz at fullback, stuff it I’ll post my team in a thread

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

But imagine if and when he masters the role...

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Average fg at best
Rubbish fb
1 good facet (kick returns) out of 7 odd doesn’t make a good fb

He has no position and that’s why when every player last year was thrown on the market bar jj and klem, not one club asked about mr motor mouth mbye.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye is an over paid fraud leeching off our club... talks as if he’s a legend of the game but has done fuckall!

He’s not a half, he’s not a hooker, he’s not a fullback...... he’s not a first grader yet the leech is on around $850,000

I can’t wait for the day he finally fucks off!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Other teams are putting more numbers towards him now too.

But he's too much up in the attack and defensive line and that puts him out of position when we need him most.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye has been tried at half 5/8, now fullback,we saw 1 good game from him this year,i think he’s one of our solutions to salary issues,the other being Aron woods,put both on market,along with Eastwood,and possibly releasing tolman,frees up almost 3mill,

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might sound strange but I don't like Moses' demeanour on the field. I never see him wanting or demanding the ball when we are in attacking situations. He also seems unfazed when he makes errors. Maybe Reynolds passion was over the top but I dunno I just get the feeling Mbye is just cruising now that he has his big contract. Doesn't play like the big dog in our team despite being one of our highest paid players. Maybe it's because I watch too many American sports where that's expected of 'star' players.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do you realize what is happening here, we are blaming almost all the players for all the different reasons but we never really stopped to think why,
Why is there so many faults in our game our team ?
I respect Pay and I am not going to start bagging him but I think he needs proper support, is he getting that support from Penna ?
The Warriors are a good example, despite their massive roster they have struggled for many years
UNTIL they employed a brilliant tactician in Brian Smith as an assistant coach.
Look at them now...Who will be our Brian Smith ???

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you realize what is happening here, we are blaming almost all the players for all the different reasons but we never really stopped to think why,
Why is there so many faults in our game our team ?
I respect Pay and I am not going to start bagging him but I think he needs proper support, is he getting that support from Penna ?
The Warriors are a good example, despite their massive roster they have struggled for many years
UNTIL they employed a brilliant tactician in Brian Smith as an assistant coach.
Look at them now...Who will be our Brian Smith ???
Except that no-one is talking about the Warriors tactics. They are ALL talking about the Warriors fitness and line speed.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fit and
Except that no-one is talking about the Warriors tactics. They are ALL talking about the Warriors fitness and line speed.
Fast and fit but no good tactics they would have been like headless chooks LOL

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye has been tried at half 5/8, now fullback,we saw 1 good game from him this year,i think he’s one of our solutions to salary issues,the other being Aron woods,put both on market,along with Eastwood,and possibly releasing tolman,frees up almost 3mill,
Woods would look a whole lot better if our attacking players were more hungry, he created ample opportunity in the most recent Rorters clash but nobody was with him in support bar that one offload to Foran which resulted in a penalty and subsequent binning to Latrell Mitchell

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Mbye,I believe should be our 5/8,his running style would compliment Foran and it gives us 2 players that can take the ball to the line.Unfortunately there isn't many good fullbacks coming on the market end 2018,so persevering with Mbye at fullback might be our best option.I picked 4 fullbacks that might be worth consideration.Billy Slater and Jarryd Hayne are not an option.

Lachlan Coote is 28 and has had a shoulder injury,rib injury and a hamstring injury.He has played fullback for NSW City and Scotland.Besides fullback he can play 5/8,which makes him very appealing,especially if Mbye isn't a success at 5/.His signing could be linked to JT's retirement.Since Michael Morgan can replace JT and Coote can accompany him in the halves whilst his fullback position can be covered by Ben Hampton.

Dale Copley is 26 and has had a knee patella tendon injury,pectoral muscle injury and hamstring injury.He played fullback and wing for Brisbane and was 18th man for the 2015 grand final.In 2014 he was Brisbane's top try scorer,one of the tries was a match winner against us.He was offloaded to Easts due to salary cap problems.At Brisbane he was selected in the Kangaroos 4 nation train on squad and whist at Easts he was chosen for Queensland Academy of Sports Emerging Maroons squad.Last year he signed with the Titans but was pushed to the centers when Michael Gorden signed this year.

Young Tonupaipea is 25 and has played on the wing for Storm,but can also play fullback and center.He was selected at fullback for Samoa in the 2017 World Cup.

Anthony Don is 30 and the grandson of Ron Willy,he's born in Manly (that puts him as last choice). He's plays fullback but since the Titans signed Michael Gordon from Easts,Don has been playing on the wing.

Michael Gordon early 2017 and 2018,would have been a cheap temporary fullback until better fullbacks become available on the market.He had a decent 2017 season for Easts and is a good goal kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.