Matty Johns Discusses Ciraldo Appointment

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Matty Johns did a function in my hometown which near his own hometown. Claims he is a man of the people and approachable. The function was 3 hours, $135 a ticket. It was hosted by an MC and matty was the "guest speaker". He sat at a table for about 45mins until the MC introduced him to speak, he spoke for an hour or so, seemed like he didn't want to be there, didn't mingle with anyone outside of the table he was at. A guy at my table asked him a question as he was walking past during an intermission and he couldn't have looked for an opportunity to leave the conversation quick enough.
Then during the second intermission he left the venue an hour early, no explanation and left the MC to make an excuse for it.
Lost value of his opinion after this experience, seems like it's all for the cameras and not genuine.
Might have got him on an off night but wasn't like he was out and I ran into him, it was a paid function.
No different what I’ve seen from Tallis on the guest speaker circuit. Bloke is not interesting whatsoever, spoke for 30-40 minutes and flat refused to engage with anyone during the night outside of the short Q&A during his speaking time.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No different what I’ve seen from Tallis on the guest speaker circuit. Bloke is not interesting whatsoever, spoke for 30-40 minutes and flat refused to engage with anyone during the night outside of the short Q&A during his speaking time.
Makes you wonder why they do it.
The best I've been to was a work function that had Wayne Bennett as guest speaker when he was coaching the knights. Very different person to the portrayal he has in the media, it was odd to hear him speak for more than 30 seconds.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's pretty shitty.

I guess all the jokes they make on his show about him being a massive tight arse are on the money. Seems to love regularly joking about earning more money all the time.
All the jokes they make on the show are actually facts lol.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matty Johns did a function in my hometown which near his own hometown. Claims he is a man of the people and approachable. The function was 3 hours, $135 a ticket. It was hosted by an MC and matty was the "guest speaker". He sat at a table for about 45mins until the MC introduced him to speak, he spoke for an hour or so, seemed like he didn't want to be there, didn't mingle with anyone outside of the table he was at. A guy at my table asked him a question as he was walking past during an intermission and he couldn't have looked for an opportunity to leave the conversation quick enough.
Then during the second intermission he left the venue an hour early, no explanation and left the MC to make an excuse for it.
Lost value of his opinion after this experience, seems like it's all for the cameras and not genuine.
Might have got him on an off night but wasn't like he was out and I ran into him, it was a paid function.
I met Matty and MG a few years back he was doing his radio gig, this dude like you said is all for the cameras, the real Matty is arrogant and I would not even bother with this dude, however Mg was such a down to earth guy and always up for a chat no matter who you are! Years ago back when the Doggies was training out at Homebush I used to work up the road and often sneak out to watch our boys SBW, Willie and co train, back then Joey was our halves coach and again this guy is like his brother so full of it and didn't even seem to get a hoots at coaching our boys, all for the money and cameras these Johns boys!

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I met Matty and MG a few years back he was doing his radio gig, this dude like you said is all for the cameras, the real Matty is arrogant and I would not even bother with this dude, however Mg was such a down to earth guy and always up for a chat no matter who you are! Years ago back when the Doggies was training out at Homebush I used to work up the road and often sneak out to watch our boys SBW, Willie and co train, back then Joey was our halves coach and again this guy is like his brother so full of it and didn't even seem to get a hoots at coaching our boys, all for the money and cameras these Johns boys!
I met the Johns boys at Maccas and these dudes walked in and thought they owned the joint, so rude and a pain to deal with

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I saw Matty Johns at a grocery store in Collaroy yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I saw Matty Johns at a grocery store in Collaroy yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
This sounds familiar... lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another story of heard from multiple sources is Peter Fitzsimons from the Sydney Morning Herald & former Rugby Union international. Wants a hefty fee for any appearance even if for grass roots charity events. He would turn up disinterested & could not wait to leave quick enough
Always thought he was a wanker. This confirms it.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did you know he was interesting? Did they have an interpreter?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Always thought he was a wanker. This confirms it.
Yeh sounds like a bit of a dh I thought he was bearable seems though he could indeed be a vvanker..butthurt his brother was a WAY better footballer too I guess.
Another observation also(and I don't critique hair or whatever on people as a rule)as a bearded man myself wtf is with that woeful attempt of his? Surely everyone tells him it's a shitshow? lol.

@Bazildog your spot on nothing wrong with Fletch or Hindy for that matter I enjoy their slapstick humour their both good value, that Chengidjut just runs around massively overusing the laughing emoji and thinks he is a wit..which actually in a way is right he is...a fuckwit :tearsofjoy:

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dude has been laying it on thick for the best part of 20 years on the back of a below average career.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how Joey rates Averillo and Schoupp so highly yet the kennel hates them lol.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When their star is shining, these guys think they are above common society, but once the curtain closes on them, that’s when they crave being relevant and ironically, want to be approached to talk about their time in the sun. The footy players of back in the day working two jobs or pre-super league war don’t have that ego. Although it wouldn’t be fair to label all modern day footballers as snobs, there’s always the good and the bad.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep Matty is a little prick. Fatty was the same on the footy show and thought he was better than everyone

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I met Matty Johns at a pub in Manly a few years back. He was a good bloke, had some laughs and he even bought a round for me and my cousins. He is quite a small guy so he may of been scared of a few drunk islanders [emoji1787]

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I had the complete opposite experience with Matty Johns. I attended a sporting lunch a few years ago where him and Mark Geyer spoke. The lunch finished at 4ish and Matty Johns was still hanging around at 7pm drinking and chatting with the punters. He went to every table and chatted for at least 10-15 minutes. Came across as a really genuine bloke who loves his footy and loves talking to people about it. Sorry you didn't have the same experience.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive had beers at The Collaroy with the bloke over 100 times at least. I've only ever seen him completely cut 1 person off who was just being a complete pest.

Always been up for a laugh and to be fair never found him anything but easygoing. Don't bother talking footy with him, unless its comical. Doesn't like talking about it as that's his 9 to 5 job.

That's just my observation