Matt Utai no longer contracted to Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/n...ai-no-longer-contracted-to-young/1754656.aspx

STEPHANIE MUIR
18 Feb, 2010 10:42 AM

JUST months after announcing one of the most exciting recruits in Group Nine history, Young has disclosed New Zealand international Matt Utai is no longer joining the club.
President Steve Woolford announced that Utai had signed with the club on Christmas Eve, however yesterday captain-coach Brent Crisp admitted the Canterbury star was no longer contracted to Young.

With Utai suffering a number of family and personal issues, in a selfless act of kindness Crisp said the club had encouraged the State of Origin star "to stay in Sydney and work things out".

"He just couldn't come to Young anymore," Crisp said.

"He is having some family trouble and when I spoke to him I just said how about you just stay in Sydney and work things out and don't worry about trying to come down here."

Crisp admitted the loss of Utai had rattled the club, with the former NRL premiership-winning player expected to be an instrumental factor in a rejuvenated Young line-up.

"Everyone was a bit unsettled when they found out he wasn't coming anymore," he said.

"He is a big loss but everyone has trained the house down and even though Matty (Utai) can't come, it will now free up a spot for a local player."

Rumours have also emerged that Bulldogs are looking at re-signing the pocket-rocket winger for the 2010, which could have swayed his decision to remain in Sydney.

The situation has a striking resemblance to the misfortune of Wagga club Kangaroos, who lost newly-signed captain-coach Bryan Norrie to Melbourne Storm.

The shock signing of Utai was expected to help lift Young off the Group Nine scrap heap, with rival clubs firming the Cherrypickers as and early premiership favourite.

Crisp has refused to allow suggestion Young will be in trouble without Utai, remaining confident in the depth of talent at club.

He is adamant the club deserves the early favouritism.

"I am quietly confident with how we are going," he said.

"I am confident we will be in the finals at the end of the season; with obviously the grand final is the ultimate goal."

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
He was my favorite player when he played top class

Its slack he is being pushed back and forward, all the best to him

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
Yeah he was a gun player unfortunately too injury prone.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
matty utai was a great bulldogs clubman, always conducting himself very well on and off the field . it would be good to have him back at the bulldogs in some role, even if it was playing nsw cup again

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
State of Origin star was he? Hahaha country bumpkin journo's. No better than the city crims.

However, i really hope Matty can sort his issues out and who knows, could end up staying with us for another season..

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Utai man should be our spare winger/centre again, no club has no injuries.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Nothing is going right for Matt Utai.

Wish him the best though.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
i doubt the dogs will be looking at getting him back.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was my favorite player when he played top class
He was my favourite Bulldog till end of 07, then his form went downhill

From 2002-2004 I reckon he was one of the most damaging wingers, just never wore his Sydney Swans undies

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
I hope he sorts out all his personal issues and gets his life back on track.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
in his time was no doubt the most damaging winger ever to step on the field no one could tackle him he had legs like dave taylor except he was 3 feet shorter lol
too bad he got slow and crap under the high ball all of a sudden
basically he was a tuaiki before tuaiki was around

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
Tuaiki wishes he was as good as the Utai of 03-04

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
With Utai suffering a number of family and personal issues, in a selfless act of kindness Crisp said the club had encouraged the State of Origin star "to stay in Sydney and work things out".
State of Origin star??? :confused:

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Goodluck to Matty he was also my favourite players back in 02-06

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
State of Origin star was he? Hahaha country bumpkin journo's. No better than the city crims.

However, i really hope Matty can sort his issues out and who knows, could end up staying with us for another season..
Lol, nice work Mitch, they believe anything out in the bush, that was the only reason they signed him.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would love to see him back at the bulldogs, regardless of what grade he is playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.