Matt Frawley makes the most of late callup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/08/03/matt-frawley-makes-most-of-late-call-up/

Matt Frawley makes most of late call-up
Dan Walsh Thu 2 Aug 2018, 11:44 PM
Matt Frawley was en route to reserve grade training while Lachlan Lewis only discovered he had a new halves partner two hours before they engineered the best performance of one of the tougher seasons in Bulldogs history.

As a game day call-up for halfback Jeremy Marshall-King, when the named No7 was rocked by tonsillitis, Frawley didn't put a foot wrong as Canterbury thumped an out-of-sorts Brisbane 36-22 at ANZ Stadium on Thursday night.

Lewis meanwhile took control from the outset in just his sixth NRL game, backing up his impressive effort against Wests Tigers in the Bulldogs first back-to-back wins of 2018 - and only their sixth win from 20 games.

Coach Dean Pay was full of praise for his last-minute scrum base pairing, especially given they had nothing more than a pre-game warm up to go off before lining up in their first NRL game together.

Frawley had played eight NRL games before Thursday night but six were with Kieran Foran and two with Marshall-King.

"I rang [Frawley] about 11 o'clock," Pay said afterwards.

"Jez was okay yesterday and woke up pretty crook this morning so I gave him until lunchtime. He didn’t have any energy or anything like that. So I just rang Frawls and said just get ready to play."

Pay dubbed Lewis a work-in-progress still, but was suitably impressed with the youngster's rise in the absence of marquee half Foran due to a season-ending toe injury.

"He was terrific," Pay said.

"Again there's parts of his game that we need to work on and get better of course, but again he was terrific tonight. His attitude and his effort to what he does with his footy, he's going terrific."
While more than happy with the development of Lewis and fellow rookies Rhyse Martin, who kicked eight goals from eight attempts, and Ofahiki Ogden, Pay also reserved a mention for captain and back-rower Josh Jackson.

The skipper scored Canterbury's first try, engineered their second and finished with 119 metres and 30 tackles in a sterling 80-minute performance.

"He plays some fantastic, tough footy, each and every week for me," Pay said.

"He keeps turning up, he keeps leading for me and they keep following him. His football is starting to go to a different level with his passing game because he's got it in him.

"I keep promoting that to him - he’s got more footy in him than just running some good lines. He’s a footballer."

Pay declined to comment on the officiating throughout the contest, with the NRL preparing to investigate allegations a Canterbury trainer approached a referee at halftime questioning their performance.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wolverine did a great job last night.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit where it's due. He had a good game and helped our side in a dominate performance.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Frawls has a lot more to offer than what he showed last stint.. went alright last night and will get better

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice dummy to score his try.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Frawls has a lot more to offer than what he showed last stint.. went alright last night and will get better
What else does he have to offer? Pretty sure we’ve seen it all from him, he’s played quite a few first grade games

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What else does he have to offer? Pretty sure we’ve seen it all from him, he’s played quite a few first grade games
I think with a bit more effort and confidence we will see more of what he's done in the lower grades. I'm not implying that he's the long term solution but it's the best we've got for now

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think with a bit more effort and confidence we will see more of what he's done in the lower grades. I'm not implying that he's the long term solution but it's the best we've got for now
He does work well with the Prince. But his defence is poor especially after we improved in recent weeks on our right side last night he missed a few tackles.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Geez his defence is ordinary....
But jmk offers nothing in attack...

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Team looked a lot better in attack with Lewis and Frawley combination. Maybe there is a benefit in taking some pressure of each other to instigate attack. I dont think Foran or JMK helped with this. If Frawley could improve his defence a combination with Lewis could be our best atm.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I admit i thought we were screwed when i heard Frawley was playing. But have to give him credit he played well. Added to the attack. Good game Matt.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Our game took a step backwards when Frawley started kicking instead of Lewis. Most kicks were ineffective and straight to the opposite player. Frawls did well for a fill in and credit due to that but not FG standard IMO.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our game took a step backwards when Frawley started kicking instead of Lewis. Most kicks were ineffective and straight to the opposite player. Frawls did well for a fill in and credit due to that but not FG standard IMO.
Yep noticed that as well was wondering why the hell lewis wasnt kicking at some stages . Big difference. Frawley just kicks for the sake of it. Just thought they worked good in attack though. But thats it for me he cant tackle.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Problem with Frawls is he has one good game, then two shit ones. He's kinda like Ben Roberts.

If he could toughen up his defence and gain some consistency, he'd be a potent player.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Played well against a good team so credit for that. Better than I've seen before. Hasn't got the pace or organisational ability though. Cogger will be very good IMO so no room for Frawley next year.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The guy has had 2 good games in 23 and everyone jizzes their pants.
Talk about stolkhome syndrome!

Credit where credit is due, his show and go worked for him the other night. But that disappears as soon as he is included in any pre game analysis by the other team.

Frawley will not get another NRL contract at any club, super league if he is lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.