Official Matt Dufty signs with the Bulldogs for season 2022

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have a need for speed and they are set to deliver one of the quickest players in the competition in St George Illawarra flyer Matt Dufty as Canterbury aim to revitalise their attack.

The Bulldogs are closing in on signing Dufty to a one-year deal from next season. His arrival would reshape a Canterbury backline which has already added one of the games genuine speedsters next season in representative flyer Josh Addo-Carr, along with Penrith’s Brent Naden.

Naden’s teammate Matt Burton will also be at Belmore next season in what is shaping as a complete backline overhaul for a club that has struggled to score points in recent season.

Canterbury have scored a season-low average of 11.4 points per game this season heading into this round. Brisbane are the next worst with 16 points.

Only Brisbane scored fewer points than Canterbury last season while the Bulldogs also scored the least amount of points in 2019.

Matt Dufty could be off to the Bulldogs in 2022. NRL Imagery

Dufty has had a turbulent few months after being told his deal would not be extended at St George Illawarra. He toured Canberra’s facilities before the Raiders opted against pursing the 25-year-old, leaving Dufty facing an uncertain future. He is one of 12 St George Illawarra players stood-down after attending Paul Vaughan’s house last week.

Dufty will off-set the Bulldogs’ loss of Storm-bound Nick Meaney.

Veteran centre Will Hopoate is unlikely to be at Belmore next season, while Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has already left the club for the Warriors.

The one-year term also gives Dufty a chance to establish himself as Canterbury’s potential long-term fullback while the length means it is a low-risk deal for the Bulldogs.

Josh Addo-Carr has already signed on for the Bulldogs from next season. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Josh Addo-Carr has already signed on for the Bulldogs from next season. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

The Bulldogs will have a potentially revamped backline by the time a ball is kicked next season. The injured Nick Cotric and Corey Allan loom as the only potential survivors from the team which played Newcastle in the season opener this year.

BULLDOGS BACKLINE OVERHAUL
RD 1 2021
1 Corey Allan
2 Nick Meaney (joining Melbourne)
3 Will Hopoate (linked to St George Illawarra)
4 Nick Cotric
5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (joined the Warriors)
RD 1 2022 (POTENTIAL)
1 Matt Dufty
2 Josh Addo-Carr
3 Corey Allan
4 Brent Naden
5 Nick Cotric

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have a need for speed and they are set to deliver one of the quickest players in the competition in St George Illawarra flyer Matt Dufty as Canterbury aim to revitalise their attack.

The Bulldogs are closing in on signing Dufty to a one-year deal from next season. His arrival would reshape a Canterbury backline which has already added one of the games genuine speedsters next season in representative flyer Josh Addo-Carr, along with Penrith’s Brent Naden.

Naden’s teammate Matt Burton will also be at Belmore next season in what is shaping as a complete backline overhaul for a club that has struggled to score points in recent season.

Canterbury have scored a season-low average of 11.4 points per game this season heading into this round. Brisbane are the next worst with 16 points.

Only Brisbane scored fewer points than Canterbury last season while the Bulldogs also scored the least amount of points in 2019.

Dufty has had a turbulent few months after being told his deal would not be extended at St George Illawarra. He toured Canberra’s facilities before the Raiders opted against pursing the 25-year-old, leaving Dufty facing an uncertain future. He is one of 12 St George Illawarra players stood-down after attending Paul Vaughan’s house last week.

Veteran centre Will Hopoate is unlikely to be at Belmore next season, while Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has already left the club for the Warriors.

The one-year term also gives Dufty a chance to establish himself as Canterbury’s potential long-term fullback while the length means it is a low-risk deal for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs will have a potentially revamped backline by the time a ball is kicked next season. The injured Nick Cotric and Corey Allan loom as the only potential survivors from the team which played Newcastle in the season opener this year.

RD 1 2021
1 Corey Allan
4 Nick Cotric
RD 1 2022 (POTENTIAL)
1 Matt Dufty
2 Josh Addo-Carr
3 Corey Allan
4 Brent Naden
5 Nick Cotric
Thanks for sharing mate.

Can't argue that this backline looks much better than what we currently have. Does this mean Av is going to be our half next year and going forward?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

RD 1 2021
1 Corey Allan
4 Nick Cotric
RD 1 2022 (POTENTIAL)
1 Matt Dufty
2 Josh Addo-Carr
3 Corey Allan
4 Brent Naden
5 Nick Cotric
1 year on what’s probably a lowish wage. I am not a Dufty fan but we have barely scored a point in 5 years so probably worth the risk.

Hopefully he gets here this year though.

Whats your thoughts ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
1 year on what’s probably a lowish wage. I am not a Dufty fan but we have barely scored a point in 5 years so probably worth the risk.

Hopefully he gets this year though.

Whats your thoughts ?
It just looks like Barrett is having another throw at the stumps like Allan.

Its a concern as there doesn't seem to be any thought behind it and just seems to me he's throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.

I just hope its as close to minimum wage as possible.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dufty
2. Cotric
3. Schoupp
4. Naden
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Averillo

It’ll give time for both BBO and Averillo to develop so that if Dufty doesn’t work out, Averillo can move to fullback with BBO at halfback.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't want or rate Dufty so that's how I feel/judge him atm and the start of next year. I hope he proves me wrong (if we sign him) and luckily it's only 1 year (which says a lot about the player we're getting...) I doubt he has any other options so I also hope he's on close to minimum wage.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Its a concern as there doesn't seem to be any thought behind it and just seems to me he's throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.

If it’s a 1 yr deal , what’s the issue ?

It tells you he doesn’t think he’s the solution but has to give a chance .

What backline players has benefited from a pack that gets dominated and halves who don’t have a creative bone in them .

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Didn't Barrett think Dufty could be a great hooker? I am not a huge fan of Dufty but he is certainly an upgrade from Meaney or Hopoate.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
About time we have a genuine ball playing FB.
I would now stick with Flannagan as he will have creators in Dufty and Burton around him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it’s a 1 yr deal , what’s the issue ?

It tells you he doesn’t think he’s the solution but has to give a chance .

What backline players has benefited from a pack that gets dominated and halves who don’t have a creative bone in them .
I don’t think he warrants a chance. He’s very inconsistent and struggles defensively.

Barrett hasn’t shown that he can turn players around either if anything they decline. The club can’t be trying to polish turds.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Definitely worth the throw though... As long as its 1 yr or 18months from this year it will give us time to see what happens with plans going forward.

I'd say BBO's development is a huge factor unless Barrett is being a dick and is thinking of turning him into a rake.