Matt Burton Fullback?

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
And yet here you are spending your time being anal over a singular phrase
A poor comparison, but it was worth a shot [emoji6]
A couple of quick comments clarifying the stats you’re providing hardly amounts to the time you must have spent counting all those comments! [emoji23]

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

He is a mediocre ball player but a sensational runner/stepper.

He has a big boot. That can be utilised at the back.

At Fullback he can run and chime in as the third half. Best of both worlds and utility of his strengths.

He also was fullback growing up.

Could be our own Latrell.

Always a bulldog.
3rd half? We don’t have any halves

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton was killing it in the halves you wouldn’t think about moving him to fullback. Facts are he isn’t killing in the halves. Not at 6 and definitely not playing 7.

I believe his attributes suit fullback. Will he get picked there…? Probably not. Is Perham killing it at fullback?

I think Burton would create more havoc and chances playing fullback than he does in the halves currently. I guess can he catch the high ball is the only question in my book?
You literally have no idea. Zilch , zero , none.

We get hammered in the forwards every week. Our middles have been below standard for years. Our highly paid front rower from England has been a dud.

But you think a half can “kill it” behind that pack ??

But even worse let’s move him to fullback and watch him get pinned on his own line and get smashed from kick returns??

Painful

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A poor comparison, but it was worth a shot [emoji6]
A couple of quick comments clarifying the stats you’re providing hardly amounts to the time you must have spent counting all those comments! [emoji23]
If in approx 900-1050 days you are still calling my posts out for technicalities only then can we accuracy correlate and compare

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You literally have no idea. Zilch , zero , none.

We get hammered in the forwards every week. Our middles have been below standard for years. Our highly paid front rower from England has been a dud.

But you think a half can “kill it” behind that pack ??

But even worse let’s move him to fullback and watch him get pinned on his own line and get smashed from kick returns??

Painful
So you believe Burton is a good halfback?

You could put Burton behind the best pack in the game at 7 and he would struggle in that role.

My point was that Perham is stifling anything that coming from the back and I believe Burton would do a lot more damage from back there.

I agree our forwards are well below par. Nathan Clearly would look ordinary behind that pack. It doesn’t make a difference who we have in our halves at the moment. So why not give our best player more space and see what we can do. The game of a 1 & 6 these days are very close. The difference being the 1 gets more space and time with the ball.

Unless you’re in the camp of a 7 & 6 are both halves so therefore they need the same attributes to play the game? Then It’s clear to me who has NFI.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
I see you have some latent ability.
How about Burton to fullback?
Latent to you maybe Berries, but that’s ok [emoji6]

It’s possible Burton could make it as a FB. His running game in the attacking half would suit. There is a few unknowns including positional play in defence, how he handles fielding attacking kicks, can he do the workload needed in the position etc.

I personally wouldn’t be trying it unless there was some strong options in the halves and time spent in the off season trialling it first.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
If in approx 900-1050 days you are still calling my posts out for technicalities only then can we accuracy correlate and compare
Sure, no problems Berries! Look forward to your analysis. I trust it will be accurate [emoji23]

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you believe Burton is a good halfback?

You could put Burton behind the best pack in the game at 7 and he would struggle in that role.

My point was that Perham is stifling anything that coming from the back and I believe Burton would do a lot more damage from back there.

I agree our forwards are well below par. Nathan Clearly would look ordinary behind that pack. It doesn’t make a difference who we have in our halves at the moment. So why not give our best player more space and see what we can do. The game of a 1 & 6 these days are very close. The difference being the 1 gets more space and time with the ball.

Unless you’re in the camp of a 7 & 6 are both halves so therefore they need the same attributes to play the game? Then It’s clear to me who has NFI.
If you think Matt Burton at fullback would improve our team then it’s very, very clear who has NFI.

He is a five eighth but at the moment he is our best option at halfback. Most of our tries come through him.

If he went to fullback he wouldn’t get more space because we wouldn’t have any friggen halves to create that space !!

Latrrell doesn’t just magically find space. He has an elite five eighth there to create that space for him.

And no I don’t think the roles of a 1 and 6 are the same. There are a few elite fullbacks like Walsh, Lattrell and Ponga that do a lot of ball playing but guys like Edwards, Papenhausen and Tedesco play nothing like five eights

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good shout if we had a 6 and 7. Besides we have Crichton and Xerri coming over next year no chance. Don’t sleep on Samrani for a centre spot. Crichton will be 1 without a doubt

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton is a 5/8 he is covering half cause we have no one else, think about it….. why would the coach want Burton at 7?

They want Burton to touch the ball more often and is a threat every time he has the ball.

If Burton played fullback he will hardly touch the ball and unless they give him the ball on the 4th to take a hit up he is waisted at fullback.

we just need an actual half and the forwards to go forward and get a roll on and that’s where Burton will shine.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is a 5/8 he is covering half cause we have no one else, think about it….. why would the coach want Burton at 7?

They want Burton to touch the ball more often and is a threat every time he has the ball.

If Burton played fullback he will hardly touch the ball and unless they give him the ball on the 4th to take a hit up he is waisted at fullback.

we just need an actual half and the forwards to go forward and get a roll on and that’s where Burton will shine.
He would be a good option at fullback if they still had kicking duels

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Play anyone but Pehram at 1, Avo, Burns, Kiraz, Papali'i or Wilson.