News Matt burton comments on future

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another ad hominem. You've got nothing, Bucko. The reality is, Burton drifts in and out of games and while he clearly has a lot of potential, he ain't exactly playing like a superstar just yet.
Hes still our best player Bucko!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
as I said before the fact you think Flanno and Elliott are great players shows us you have no idea what you are watching....
And ANOTHER ad hominem. Lol....you are really bad at rational argument. You also lack comprehension skills. I never said either were great players..... I said both have the potential to be much better than what we've seen so far. Elliott has already shown that this year. He has been getting better and better as the season goes on and has been one of his team's best in recent weeks. He is bending the line, making plenty of pcm, defending pretty well and his ball skills are so good that he has started a few games at hooker. Those are the tools of a player with origin potential.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ok I’ll spell it out nice and easy for you .

Penrith had Matt burton in there system as well as luai.

They rated luai as a better 5/8 than burton and partnered him with Cleary .

Penrith didn’t rate Burton as a 5/8 cause they seen what we currently see and used him as a centre .

Penriths decisions are justified by

1 .them winning a premiership with luai at 5/8
2 .proving burton was a centre as he excelled

Now these choices by the panthers were made before they had premiership success , you do understand that point right ?

So , the original response was made to a comment that Burton would fair better with a proper 7 to which I commented that at the panthers they had the best 7 in the comp to pair him with but they rated luai a better prospect at the time.

Now onto Burton .

I don’t think he’s a terrible 5/8 . Just not the superstar all his supporters think he is .

He struggles to play to structure, lacks leadership , takes wrong options and has too many errors in his game to be a class player and I’ve seen enough players come though the ranks to be able to compare

I won’t put terry lamb in this argument cause that’s an insult to baa but some of our other 5/8ths we’ve had in the last

Jim Dymock
Scott hill
Jason smith
Travis Norton
Braith Anasta
Jonathan Thurston

Then some on less talented one

Glenn Hughes
Ben roberts
Daniel holdsworth

The classier players with exception of Thurston have same or similar body shape to burton and played in the forwards at a pinch .

Go watch YouTube games from these players and then look at burton and see the gulf in class.

I think Burton has reached his ceiling cap as a 5/8. I hope I’m wrong but each game he plays he just keeps proving the point and I think the burton we see is going to be the burton we’ll get

I don’t have any inside knowledge or info but if burton is unhappy playing in a shit team he has to realise he’s been a part of that shit.

If he played with more passion and heart you could forgive some of his mistakes but you have a sense if he goes to open market then some desperate club will offer $700-$800 k and he’ll take the money and run

This is not the type of player you want . Give me more players like max king and young Kiraz to build this team around and then we might start getting out of this shit we’re in
I've already said numerous times Burton isn't as good as some people think and he isn't worth upgrading but i'm not writing him off as a 5/8 because Penrith picked Luai and a proven combination over him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It’s a fair enough point .

Would they let burton go if he showed superstar qualities , maybe like a Thurston or a Lockyer coming through the ranks ?

He was in their system for a few years and you can typically judge someone’s class right away , in any sport .

Thurston , which still kills me each time it comes up was blitzing players in reserve grade , he was an 18 years old kid playing against men and you could see he was something special . History shows we made the wrong decision in letting him go but there were other factors in play at that time

Burton is 22 , playing against other 20 somethings and like I said , I think he’s a good player but not that marquee type that we desperately need
Thurston had it a lot easier, coming into a side that was dominating and playing off the back of that. That's any young half's dream. I doubt he'd have looked so special coming into this current Bulldogs side, tbh. Burton isn't as enthusiastic about our club as I would like him to be.....but it's a huge ask expecting a young kid to come into such a shambles of a team and look like a superstar. I still believe he has superstar potential....and that his best position is five eighth. Sadly, I think he will leave us before he realises that potential.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hes still our best player Bucko!
That's not really saying a lot right now, is it? And it's still debatable. He's our best spine player, for sure....but TPJ and JAC have done better jobs of meeting their overall job descriptions. JAC has created more tries from the wing than Burton has from 6.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ok guys, if Burton is as bad as you think, I’d love for you to watch how shit we would be without him.
He's far from bad.....but his fans are definitely judging him more on potential than performance based on what he has shown this year. Admittedly he hasn't been given an easy job. I'd like to keep him, but I certainly don't want our club to let him hold it to ransom.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ok guys, if Burton is as bad as you think, I’d love for you to watch how shit we would be without him.
But if he's as good as some think then why are we still last with him having numbers that are no better than Averillo had last season?

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But if he's as good as some think then why are we still last with him having numbers that are no better than Averillo had last season?
Are you suggesting the same numbers when we are only just halfway through the season?

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because we have a dog shit hooker, a dog shit half back, a dog shit fullback, and a dog shit 13. At least Avo had Meaney last year who showed up every couple of games

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean pay worked with Cogger and I even forget who the guy was

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And ANOTHER ad hominem. Lol....you are really bad at rational argument. You also lack comprehension skills. I never said either were great players..... I said both have the potential to be much better than what we've seen so far. Elliott has already shown that this year. He has been getting better and better as the season goes on and has been one of his team's best in recent weeks. He is bending the line, making plenty of pcm, defending pretty well and his ball skills are so good that he has started a few games at hooker. Those are the tools of a player with origin potential.
Did Elliott play for Canberra on the weekend???
NO! Because he was not needed in first grade, thats how good he has been playing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are you suggesting the same numbers when we are only just halfway through the season?
Yes im comparing half a season to a full season, lol c'mon :tearsofjoy:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Did Elliott play for Canberra on the weekend???
NO! Because he was not needed in first grade, thats how good he has been playing.
Ahhh yes, he did. He missed the previous two weeks due to flu and came straight back into the side at lock as soon as he was fit. His game wasn't quite as good as his previous two (in which he earned 5 Dally M points), but it was still more than solid, running for 130 metres with over 60 post contact metres in just under 50 minutes of game time. Get your facts right.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh yes, he did. He missed the previous two weeks due to flu and came straight back into the side at lock as soon as he was fit. His game wasn't quite as good as his previous two (in which he earned 5 Dally M points), but it was still more than solid, running for 130 metres with over 60 post contact metres in just under 50 minutes of game time. Get your facts right.
haha yeh my bad. I didnt watch the game just heard he was dropped because he signed with the Knights.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
haha yeh my bad. I didnt watch the game just heard he was dropped because he signed with the Knights.
Hahaha nah. That's just a rumour, man. He has been named at lock again for this weekend's game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because we have a dog shit hooker, a dog shit half back, a dog shit fullback, and a dog shit 13. At least Avo had Meaney last year who showed up every couple of games
Our squad is better than last season (that's what everyone said during preseason), Dufty is also a better attacker than Meaney, etc. It just excuses. Burton isn't anywhere near as bad as some are making our while also not being anywhere near as good as other are making out.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a fair enough point.
Yes. much better than any of yours.

Would they let burton go if he showed superstar qualities , maybe like a Thurston or a Lockyer coming through the ranks ?
He was in their system for a few years and you can typically judge someone’s class right away , in any sport .
Penrith had no farkin choice dipstick, they had no Cap space available so they had to let him go. Much like Melbourne had to let Inglis go, that doesn't exactly match your methodology.

Thurston , which still kills me each time it comes up was blitzing players in reserve grade , he was an 18 years old kid playing against men and you could see he was something special . History shows we made the wrong decision in letting him go but there were other factors in play at that time
BULLSHIT (capitals for emphasis), Thurston had lots of potential but wasn't regular NRL standard when he signed for the Cowboys. His defence was almost non existent at the start of the 2004 season, up to then his injury record wasn't great, he was considered too small for the rigors of week in week out NRL. At that time Sherwin and Anasta were both better players as well as being NRL proven. FWIW Thurston was 21 in 2004, not 18.

Don't get me wrong I was as pissed off as anyone that we let him go, but no one that I know of had a good enough crystal ball to see what he would develop into.

Burton is 22 , playing against other 20 somethings and like I said , I think he’s a good player but not that marquee type that we desperately need
Who gives fark how old he is, do I rely have to give you a list of the halves that did next to nothing until their mid 20's, the list would be endless. How about just Melbourne players for example, Cronk was 27 when he played his first SOO, Munster was 23, Kimmorley was 24 and FMD Hughes was 26 before he had even played in the NRL halves.

Always a Bulldog

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Baffling.

It's almost as if he scored 17 tries and won Dally M CotY in '21 and he's a focus for the opposition in a team, that while improved, still lacks strike.

We don't condense defences - so we rarely create overlaps. We don't have hole runners - so defenders aren't forced to make poor reads/decisions. Cohesion is still an issue - so half opportunities rarely come off. We have a robot in the 7, who can't kick, doesn't run and struggles making decisions on the fly and a guy in the 9 who lacks basic hooker skills and instincts.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Baffling.

It's almost as if he scored 17 tries and won Dally M CotY in '21 and he's a focus for the opposition in a team, that while improved, still lacks strike.

We don't condense defences - so we rarely create overlaps. We don't have hole runners - so defenders aren't forced to make poor reads/decisions. Cohesion is still an issue - so half opportunities rarely come off. We have a robot in the 7, who can't kick, doesn't run and struggles making decisions on the fly and a guy in the 9 who lacks basic hooker skills and instincts.
I could've scored 18 tries last year for Penrith at left centre btw.