News Matt Burton and Josh Addo-Carr Go From Bulldogs Rep Write-Off To World Cup Kangaroos

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CODE NRL

Moving to Canterbury was meant to kill off their rep hopes but now Matt Burton and Josh Addo-Carr are taking their Bulldogs bromance global, writes LACHLAN McKIRDY.

Signing for the Bulldogs was meant to be a death knell for representative honours.

Yet now, a Canterbury bromance is going to the World Cup.

Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton have created both a close bond and a formidable on-field partnership in the space of just 12 months.

Their mix of raw speed and natural ability won them a spot in Mal Meninga’s Kangaroos squad, even if the Bulldogs remain a work in progress.

“I think I’m more excited for him making the team than I am,” Addo-Carr tells CODE Sports.

It was a similar feeling for Burton, who immediately got in touch with his now-representative teammate.

“Our manager from the Bulldogs sent us a text that me and Foxxy were in,” Burton says.

“So I texted Foxxy straight away and we were stoked for each other.”

The duo both started the year with immense pressure on their shoulders. Marquee signings for the Bulldogs, they were largely tasked with turning the club’s fortunes.

So it makes sense that they have spent so much time together working on their relationship. They’re confident that their strong chemistry will benefit the Dogs.

“Me and Burto have become really good mates off-field, we love lacing the boots up with each other and running amok for the Bulldogs,” Addo-Carr says.

“I always knew we were going to have a special bond when we first signed for the club.

“He’s had a big year. He’s played Origin, he played a full year at five-eighth, taking control of an NRL team after playing centre at the Panthers.

“I’m so excited for him.”

And after a year in the blue and white, Burton has learned to appreciate all the facets of Addo-Carr’s style.

Not only does he have a world-class finisher, he also has a friend he can turn to for advice on what the rugby league world is really like.

“Foxxy and I have built that connection this year. He’s a great fella and he’s always got so much energy,” Burton says.

“A lot of people see him as a jokester and always laughing, but when you need something off him, he’ll always help you out and tell you what to do.

“It’s awesome to be selected in this side and I’m stoked that he’s here and hopefully get out on the field with him.”

The Bulldogs were struggling prior to this season.

It was hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Tough to see the side bolstering anyone’s rep credentials.

But after seven wins this season, more than 2020 and 2021 combined, there’s hope that Canterbury have turned the corner.

Addo-Carr believes his Australian selection proves that it doesn’t matter who you play for, representative jerseys still come down to individual performance.

“It’s always a privilege to put this jersey on,” Addo-Carr says.

“It just goes to show that no matter what team you go to, even if they‘re struggling, even if they’re successful. If you put your best foot forward and try and help the team and try and help the people around you, you can definitely put a rep jersey on.”
The appointment of Mick Potter as caretaker coach proved to be a crucial moment for the Dogs.

While it was a period of turmoil, as players came to terms with the resignation of Trent Barrett, it gave the side a chance to reassess what they wanted to achieve this season and beyond.

“It was difficult at the start of the year because we lost our coach and a fair few coaching staff,” Addo-Carr says.

“Then after we figured out what team we wanted to be and what footy we wanted to play, we strung a few wins together and it’s good to see the potential we have in the team.

“The ultimate goal is always to win a grand final, but you’ve got to crawl before you walk and keep improving every week.

“You see the Sharks, they didn’t make the top eight last year. Fitzy came to the club and brought the right people there and they came second. They improved every week, worked on their mistakes and I think that’s what we’ve got to focus on.”

Fresh from another premiership victory with the Panthers, Cameron Ciraldo will arrive as Bulldogs’ head coach this off-season.

He is a major piece of the puzzle for the Dogs – along with the arrival of Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney – and Addo-Carr already knows the future is looking good based on his brief interactions.

“I’ve had some decent chats with him,” Addo-Carr says. “But he’s just been ringing up to see how it’s going and how the family is.

“He doesn’t really talk too much about footy. I think when we’re in the meeting room he’ll speak plenty of it.

“We’ve got some good coaching staff as well coming to the club and they’re nothing but good people.

can’t wait until the Bulldogs are on top.”

Missing the finals at least gave the Canterbury pair a break before their first World Cup.

“Obviously had a few beers and that,” Addo-Carr says. “It was a good break,” Burton smiles.

Yet they’re more than happy to get back to business, given what’s at stake and what it took to make the Kangaroos squad.

“It means you represent your family, you’re representing the sacrifices that everyone made to be in the position we are today too,” Addo-Carr says.

“There’s a lot of things that make you happy putting this jersey on. It’s a privilege.”

Burton has few memories of watching the Kangaroos play, admitting he’s too young to recall some of Australia’s truly classic Tests. He’s keen for first-hand experience.

“There’s a lot of great talent around and it’s pretty crazy to be standing amongst it,” he says.

“To play Origin was pretty unexpected. Now to get this call-up, it’s pretty crazy how things work.

“I used to love watching Australia v New Zealand, that was always a big battle. It’s gonna be awesome to hopefully get a taste of it.

“Cam Munster, he’s one of the best five-eighths in the competition. It’ll be great to work alongside him and see how he does things.”
While Meninga hasn’t yet made clear his plans for Burton, the 22-year-old is ready to play wherever he is needed.

But even if he doesn’t play a single minute in green and gold, his good mate knows that this World Cup experience will help take Burton to another level.

“You’re around the best players in the world, around the best coaches in the world and you could be playing the best players in the world too,” Addo-Carr says.

“You’re always going to learn something. These camps are the most fun and enjoyable ones.

“That’s what footy is about, you’ve got to enjoy what you do and you’re with good people to do it.”

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
CODE NRL

Moving to Canterbury was meant to kill off their rep hopes but now Matt Burton and Josh Addo-Carr are taking their Bulldogs bromance global, writes LACHLAN McKIRDY.

Signing for the Bulldogs was meant to be a death knell for representative honours.

Yet now, a Canterbury bromance is going to the World Cup.

Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton have created both a close bond and a formidable on-field partnership in the space of just 12 months.

Their mix of raw speed and natural ability won them a spot in Mal Meninga’s Kangaroos squad, even if the Bulldogs remain a work in progress.

“I think I’m more excited for him making the team than I am,” Addo-Carr tells CODE Sports.

It was a similar feeling for Burton, who immediately got in touch with his now-representative teammate.

“Our manager from the Bulldogs sent us a text that me and Foxxy were in,” Burton says.

“So I texted Foxxy straight away and we were stoked for each other.”

The duo both started the year with immense pressure on their shoulders. Marquee signings for the Bulldogs, they were largely tasked with turning the club’s fortunes.

So it makes sense that they have spent so much time together working on their relationship. They’re confident that their strong chemistry will benefit the Dogs.

“Me and Burto have become really good mates off-field, we love lacing the boots up with each other and running amok for the Bulldogs,” Addo-Carr says.

“I always knew we were going to have a special bond when we first signed for the club.

“He’s had a big year. He’s played Origin, he played a full year at five-eighth, taking control of an NRL team after playing centre at the Panthers.

“I’m so excited for him.”

And after a year in the blue and white, Burton has learned to appreciate all the facets of Addo-Carr’s style.

Not only does he have a world-class finisher, he also has a friend he can turn to for advice on what the rugby league world is really like.

“Foxxy and I have built that connection this year. He’s a great fella and he’s always got so much energy,” Burton says.

“A lot of people see him as a jokester and always laughing, but when you need something off him, he’ll always help you out and tell you what to do.

“It’s awesome to be selected in this side and I’m stoked that he’s here and hopefully get out on the field with him.”

The Bulldogs were struggling prior to this season.

It was hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Tough to see the side bolstering anyone’s rep credentials.

But after seven wins this season, more than 2020 and 2021 combined, there’s hope that Canterbury have turned the corner.

Addo-Carr believes his Australian selection proves that it doesn’t matter who you play for, representative jerseys still come down to individual performance.

“It’s always a privilege to put this jersey on,” Addo-Carr says.

“It just goes to show that no matter what team you go to, even if they‘re struggling, even if they’re successful. If you put your best foot forward and try and help the team and try and help the people around you, you can definitely put a rep jersey on.”
The appointment of Mick Potter as caretaker coach proved to be a crucial moment for the Dogs.

While it was a period of turmoil, as players came to terms with the resignation of Trent Barrett, it gave the side a chance to reassess what they wanted to achieve this season and beyond.

“It was difficult at the start of the year because we lost our coach and a fair few coaching staff,” Addo-Carr says.

“Then after we figured out what team we wanted to be and what footy we wanted to play, we strung a few wins together and it’s good to see the potential we have in the team.

“The ultimate goal is always to win a grand final, but you’ve got to crawl before you walk and keep improving every week.

“You see the Sharks, they didn’t make the top eight last year. Fitzy came to the club and brought the right people there and they came second. They improved every week, worked on their mistakes and I think that’s what we’ve got to focus on.”

Fresh from another premiership victory with the Panthers, Cameron Ciraldo will arrive as Bulldogs’ head coach this off-season.

He is a major piece of the puzzle for the Dogs – along with the arrival of Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney – and Addo-Carr already knows the future is looking good based on his brief interactions.

“I’ve had some decent chats with him,” Addo-Carr says. “But he’s just been ringing up to see how it’s going and how the family is.

“He doesn’t really talk too much about footy. I think when we’re in the meeting room he’ll speak plenty of it.

“We’ve got some good coaching staff as well coming to the club and they’re nothing but good people.

can’t wait until the Bulldogs are on top.”

Missing the finals at least gave the Canterbury pair a break before their first World Cup.

“Obviously had a few beers and that,” Addo-Carr says. “It was a good break,” Burton smiles.

Yet they’re more than happy to get back to business, given what’s at stake and what it took to make the Kangaroos squad.

“It means you represent your family, you’re representing the sacrifices that everyone made to be in the position we are today too,” Addo-Carr says.

“There’s a lot of things that make you happy putting this jersey on. It’s a privilege.”

Burton has few memories of watching the Kangaroos play, admitting he’s too young to recall some of Australia’s truly classic Tests. He’s keen for first-hand experience.

“There’s a lot of great talent around and it’s pretty crazy to be standing amongst it,” he says.

“To play Origin was pretty unexpected. Now to get this call-up, it’s pretty crazy how things work.

“I used to love watching Australia v New Zealand, that was always a big battle. It’s gonna be awesome to hopefully get a taste of it.

“Cam Munster, he’s one of the best five-eighths in the competition. It’ll be great to work alongside him and see how he does things.”
While Meninga hasn’t yet made clear his plans for Burton, the 22-year-old is ready to play wherever he is needed.

But even if he doesn’t play a single minute in green and gold, his good mate knows that this World Cup experience will help take Burton to another level.

“You’re around the best players in the world, around the best coaches in the world and you could be playing the best players in the world too,” Addo-Carr says.

“You’re always going to learn something. These camps are the most fun and enjoyable ones.

“That’s what footy is about, you’ve got to enjoy what you do and you’re with good people to do it.”
This club is finally heading into the right direction. We are doing all things right then wrong.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddys a goose with his selections this year even in “20” good luck to the boys in the World Cup for australia and as well as the other teams give them hell as long as any bulldog playing plays well

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good on them, great for their confidence and the clubs.

They are developing into a great combo moving forward, can the 2023 season start already.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thoughts of Cleary kicking to JACs attacking corner are mouth watering.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great read, and both these players are guys that will lead the team into the new era of Bulldogs for both fans and the club.

An absolutely amazing turnaround in a short time, compared to the ghosts of Bulldogs past. Lets hope 2023 we show what we are truly capable of and give the fans the hope they've been longing for, for the last few years.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thoughts of Cleary kicking to JACs attacking corner are mouth watering.
Burton was named in the halves as well wasn't he?

If both Cleary and Burton are on the field, you really don't want to be the opposing wingers and fullback.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Image1665278657.877496.jpg
Good to see we upgraded him for next season.
Also good to see roosters want Corey Allan hahah