Markers not square - tap and score!

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Section 11 (10) (c) (f) Defenders Responsibilities » At the completion of the tackle the defenders must take up a position as a Marker or retire the 10 metres » A Marker must take up a position directly ‘opposite the tackled player’ and not float or be too deep from the play the ball » The Marker ‘must not kick the ball’ whilst it is being played » A second Marker ‘must stand immediately and directly behind’ the first marker.

There's about 3 infringements in that picture that should have been penalised. Neither of the "markers" is square for a start. The markers are also side by side, not in line. Plus Coates is also pulling on the jumper of the player playing the ball.

Go Dogs
That's where we need some leadership on the field to make sure the ref's acknowledge that they see what we are seeing.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If they aren't a "marker" then they have to have at least a foot on the try line. Neither of them do, so they should have penalised EITHER for not marking square OR being offside, take your pick. Grabbing the jumper while playing the ball applies in both cases. There's 3 penalties there that were not awarded.

Go Dogs
that is what i said, they have to be on side. If you are referring that picture of the broncos , which i am not, then yes they are off side.

go dogs

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they aren't a "marker" then they have to have at least a foot on the try line. Neither of them do, so they should have penalised EITHER for not marking square OR being offside, take your pick. Grabbing the jumper while playing the ball applies in both cases. There's 3 penalties there that were not awarded.

Go Dogs
The Broncos no4 has his right leg stretched back, I’m guessing his foot is touching the line so technically he’s not a marker.

The other bronco is close to in front, certainly close enough for NRL refs (unless it’s us of course).

And yes he’s holding the jersey, but that never gets called.

What I don’t get is why forwards think it’s a good idea to keep pushing for 5m when there’s 3-4 tackles until they’re 1m from the try line... it makes the next play the ball so much harder with defensive line so close

Malla

Reaction score

Go Dogs
Ok
Go Dogs