Mark O'Meley's Vow To Be No.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maza

Reaction score
BIG Mark O'Meley has vowed to force the Bulldogs to improve their offer and re-sign him ¿ yesterday declaring his intention to become the best prop in the world this season.

As it emerged that the club was looking at Dragons young gun Danny Wicks as a possible replacement for O'Meley, the 104kg Test enforcer told The Daily Telegraph he wants to finish his career at Belmore.

After rejecting a $300,000-a- year deal, the man regarded as the toughest in the game said he would prove his worth and force the Bulldogs to up the ante for his signature.

"My goal is to prove I am still an asset to the club and still have got a lot to offer," O'Meley said.

"I want to give the club the best opportunity to keep me. I have to let my footy do my talking, I am over reading where I am going and what I am doing.

"I will get off to a good start to the year and then hopefully the club can come up with something to keep me here."

With up to nine clubs chasing the 15-Test veteran, O'Meley revealed he wants to become a 10-year player with the Bulldogs.

"You have Brent Sherwin, Adam Perry and Corey Hughes who have all played 10 years here and will be up for life membership soon," he said.

"That was a goal when I came here as a 20-year-old and still is."

But after taking pay cuts in previous years to remain a loyal Bulldog, O'Meley can't ignore big-money offers from rival clubs, with the Roosters believed to have offered him a three-year $1.35 million deal.

"Malcolm Noad (Bulldogs CEO) said last week the offer was still on the table after Sonny (Bill Williams) signed," he said. "But I am hoping they can get a better one together. I can't shoot myself in the foot. I have a family and if I have to leave I will."

With Shane Webcke's retirement, O'Meley aims to stake his claim for best prop in the world.

Source: Telegraph.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
Good to see he wants to stay at the dogs.Looks like hes in for big year>management should sign him up

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
nice article

i hope we do keep him, one of the best props going around atm, if not the best

A

Abz

It's just a stunt to force the Bulldogs to pay him more money. That's very selfish of him.

K

kennyy

oh stfu abz he has taken paycuts in the past and sees williams and mason on 400k each he just wants his slice of the pie. At least he is trying to stay with us unlike nate myles

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
sign him...

one good thing is that atleast he is giving us every opportunity to sign him...

he mustnt have ORR brothers as his manager :grinning:

A

Abz

sign him...

one good thing is that atleast he is giving us every opportunity to sign him...

he mustnt have ORR brothers as his manager :grinning:
It's not the Orrgasm brothers... it's some other guy.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
It's just a stunt to force the Bulldogs to pay him more money. That's very selfish of him.
But I still think its better than the way Sonny Bill allowed the Orr brothers to parade him around like a slut don't you think?

My respect for him has grown, and can empathize. I really really want to keep him now because he does in fact seem loyal.

A

Abz

oh stfu abz he has taken paycuts in the past and sees williams and mason on 400k each he just wants his slice of the pie. At least he is trying to stay with us unlike nate myles
I may be wrong but I do believe there were heaps of articles linking him to the Roosters.

Although Nate Myles wanted $275,000 LMAO yeah right. That's what Frank Pritchard is worth, and Myles is... miles behind Frank Pritchard (lol).

Yea O'Meleys paycuts are good. I'd be happy to keep him as long as he doesn't stretch our Salary Cap out to the ends of loosing Roberts and El Masri :(

D

D0ggyStylz

stfu abz, you are a moron. O'Meley has a young family. O'Meley has been loyal to the dogs. O'Meley has taken paycuts for the dogs. It is time that O'Meley got paid.

A

Abz

But I still think its better than the way Sonny Bill allowed the Orr brothers to parade him around like a slut don't you think?

My respect for him has grown, and can empathize. I really really want to keep him now because he does in fact seem loyal.
If we re-sign O'Meley we can get 4 years out of him (26) where as Hazem we can only get 2. This is a really tough decision. We can sign both, but that would mean loosing Ben Roberts and I don't want to do another Jonathon Thurston on ourselves :(

A

Abz

stfu abz, you are a moron. O'Meley has a young family. O'Meley has been loyal to the dogs. O'Meley has taken paycuts for the dogs. It is time that O'Meley got paid.
And you're saying Hazem hasn't been loyal to the dogs? That's what you're making it sounds like seeing more people are in favour of sign Hazem.

D

D0ggyStylz

And you're saying Hazem hasn't been loyal to the dogs? That's what you're making it sounds like seeing more people are in favour of sign Hazem.
Hazem has been loyal. He is one of my favourite players. Haz hasn't got many years left in him though. O'Meley does.

A

Abz

Hazem has been loyal. He is one of my favourite players. Haz hasn't got many years left in him though. O'Meley does.
That's what's making this tussle more harder. I think Bulldogs will re-sign Shrek, although on the other hand Noady said the Bulldogs won't be bullied into offering anyone more money.

D

D0ggyStylz

That's what's making this tussle more harder. I think Bulldogs will re-sign Shrek, although on the other hand Noady said the Bulldogs won't be bullied into offering anyone more money.

lol coming after they were bullied by sonny.

A

Abz

LOL true that. But SBW said he wanted an extension on the 3 year deal. The Bulldogs agreed to that. Good on them ;)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way i understand SBW's deal, he didn't want more money just more years. For a young bloke who has had as much downtime as him it's the smart way to go. If he was forced to retire early then he will do better from having a payout on some portion of a 5 year contract than a 3 year contract.

Hazem's been a Bulldogs legend in my opinion too and though i'd hate to see him leave he is 30 or 31 at this stage and will be approaching 32 soon. Andrew Johns is a great player too but i wouldn't offer him a bag of mixed lollies to come to the Bulldogs because of his age and how injury prone he is. Hazem may have left his demand for a bigger money contract too late in his career because the Bulldogs will give loyalty to an extent but when it becomes a very bad business decision they WILL say goodbye to him if need be. With the reports i have heard about Hazems comments lately i fully expect some English club will get his signature in the end, and if it makes him a richer man then i'll be OK with his decision to leave. At the very least i expect Hazem is on 150,000 a year and probably has been for a long while. If i were offered that kind of money to play a game i love then i'd not be sitting there spouting nonsense about loyalty i'd be thanking my bosses for their stupidity. Personally i think i have no hope of earning that kind of money in my life and im sure that 90% of posters here would agree with me. Football may ruin your body and give you joint problems at a young age but you ask any 40 year old shearer how his back is and your in for a sob story. They don't make much money and shearing isn't an exciting career unless you associate yourself with KIWI jokes. Take the good money you are offered here or look for it at another club Hazem. You aren't a spring chicken and will be slowing down by the end of the season. Harsh yes but it's my opinion. I hope he retires a Bulldog.

I'm starting to think that Shrek has listened too much to his manager and thus seems less loyal than he in fact may be. For him to be holding out till at least round 4 probably means he wants the Bulldogs to come to his party and is holding out for a set amount. At 26 years of age he is coming into his best football as a forward and should improve on the fantastic football he already displays. Having him round will give the young blokes something to look up to. My opinion on him has changed with what he said in this article and i may seem hypocritical but i'm starting to think that he'd be my preference over Hazem. That said don't be greedy Shrek 300K aint chump change and we do build more classy forwards in two years than most clubs do over about 4. Look at who has been rated the biggest names when they left over the last 5 or 6 years. Ryan O'Hara (Was supposed to be an origin star in the making and hasn't kicked on that well), Glen Hall (was getting huge wraps and hasn't even secured a regular run on spot at another club). We even contributed Rocky Elsom to union and he recently came out and said he owed a debt of gratitude to the Bulldogs for teaching him how to train. He said he wouldn't have made the Aussie side if not for the work ethic the early years at the bulldogs instilled into him.

Summary- I'd love to see both Hazem and O'Meley stay but if neither does then we'll get over it. I don't think we should let Roberts get away though as Halves talent is harder to come by than a tough guy who can run at brick walls. Don't let it seem like i don't think Holdsworth is a star but nobody here would be upset if we heard Thurston wanted to be a Dog again. Roberts at 20 made the new Zealand A side mostly playing in premier league and you don't want to see future rep players leave as their career is kicking off.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Well i reckon throw some of the dosh his way has been loyal to the club so does need an increase on his current contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.