Mark O'Meley retiring after 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
Old article but I found this... good luck to him post footy.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-lea...orward-Mark-O-Meley-confirms-retirement-plans

Hull FC prop Mark O'Meley has admitted he will retire at the end of next season.

The Australian, 31, has spent three years at Hull but he will call time on a glittering career at the conclusion of his fourth.

He has won the NRL, earned 15 Australia Test caps and made 10 State of Origin appearances for New South Wales.

"I have promised my wife that next year is definitely my last. I'll play this season and then that will be it for me with rugby league," O'Meley told the Hull Daily Mail.

"This coming year is all about enjoying myself. If you enjoy yourself and you are happy, that is how you play good rugby.

"That is how you build team camaraderie and that is how you achieve, so I'm focussed on making the most of my last year."

O'Meley began his career with North Sydney Bears in 1999 and he went on to play for Northern Eagles, Canterbury Bulldogs, Sydney Roosters and Hull.

"It's been a great move here for me, I love the place. Each year when Hull Fair comes around I'm like a big kid. It has taken me three years to find the local golf courses, but I've loved my time here," he added.

"I won't go and play back in Australia because as a kid I watched all the old Australians go back to play in my local competition.

"Every week the other players were trying to fight them. Rugby league is massive in Australia and you have all these young blokes trying to make a name for themselves.

"You end up coming away with a black eye when you turn up for work every Monday morning."

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
Good luck Shrek, thanks for the memories!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Was a great player for the dogs had some of his best years for us. The club should do something for him when he comes home, bring him on board.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Humble bloke, I'll always remember this

[video=youtube;xkrY3d1kvoE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkrY3d1kvoE[/video]

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Gotta love Mason in that video. "Yeah fk him" haha

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

One of my favourite Bulldogs moment, never get sick of watching that lol

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

This was so perfect, look at the run up he had! Epic.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was a great player for the dogs had some of his best years for us. The club should do something for him when he comes home, bring him on board.
He was a great player and had his best years with us. Sadly the roosters seem to have a habit of ruining careers and his is certainly on the list.

As for bringing him onboard, sentiment is best left as that.

Thanks for the memories Shrek.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score

What a "HIT" by O'meley. Remember that time when he just smashed Gibbs. Mason was funny as well lol!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He was a great player and had his best years with us. Sadly the roosters seem to have a habit of ruining careers and his is certainly on the list.

As for bringing him onboard, sentiment is best left as that.

Thanks for the memories Shrek.
It is sad that most of that 04 team now pretty much hate the club. The club brought them all together but so many of them were quick to sh!t on the club when they saw which way the wind was blowing.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score

The Landing on his Head "Ouch" Fuck that would've hurt!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Good to see him finishing his career on a high.

O'Meley served the club well, and gees that guy could hit!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was pissed off when Folkes told him he would be better off at the Roosters, should of been a Doggy for life, would love to see him back at the club in some capacity.

oso bad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great playe remember when he started at the Bears he was something like 17 paying in the front row, gave us the best years of his playing career. That was the best run up I have seen in years well done all the best.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Always loved the ogre running it hard! So thankful for all his service he gave us and was a great forward, best of luck to Mark!

The amount of people he knocked out running as hard and fast as he could gave me great memories especially against the Dragons.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Shrek was 29 when he signed with the chooks. I was a fair way off though if he's 31 now and has played 3 seasons in SL. I used to love how he played. He was pure battering ram in attack and defense. I miss seeing the hits the team could put on back then. The one particular game against St George was brutal.

I wish him and his family all the best in whatever path he follows after retiring and hope he's able to snatch another premiership this year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
According to wikipedia he was born 22 may 81 so he'd be 32 this year

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Good luck to Shrek in is post footy life. We will never forget the Gibbs K.O. nor will Gibbs :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.