Mark O'Meley ends 15-year league career

Status
Not open for further replies.

freQishDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Former Australian and NSW prop Mark O'Meley has called time on his 15-year rugby league career due to injury.

The 32-year-old was due to hang up his boots at the end of the year and return home but has brought forward his retirement following scans on the knee he hurt in Hull's 16-0 Challenge Cup final defeat by Wigan.

"It's a premature ending but it's good to be able to say my last game was at Wembley in a big final with a good bunch of guys and all the Hull fans behind us," said the former Canterbury and Sydney Roosters front-rower.

"It's a bit saddening and I wouldn't have minded having a couple of last hit-outs with the boys before retiring at the end of the season but everybody has made me feel welcome, the supporters have been awesome to me, the club's been tremendous and I've made some really good friends here.

"I've had a lot of blokes getting in touch talking about retirement and how you deal with it. It will be a bit difficult but there's a time when everybody has to stop doing what they love.

"I've done it since I was 15 and now I'm at an age where I've got to find the next chapter in my life and I'm pretty comfortable with doing that."

O'Meley, who made 10 State of Origin appearances for NSW and won 15 caps for the Kangaroos, made 90 appearances in his four seasons with Hull.

http://www.nrl.com/mark-omeley-ends-15-year-league-career/tabid/10874/newsid/74462/default.aspx

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On ya Ogre!! Pure class of a player! they don't make them like that anymore!!

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Shrek had some cracking games with us, Hope he enjoyed himself over there.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always loved Mark O'Meley.

Good luck in retirement mate.

Brice Gibbs will finally be able to rest at night!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
A great career ends... Shrek was awesome...

Who can ever forget him KOing Bryce Gibbs :D

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Had some great games for us over the years. Wish him all the best in the future.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant believe his only 32
I was thinking exactly the same thing! Seems like a lifetime ago he was eating Vicks and rubbing it all over his bald melon...... ahh the memories, he was awesome for us.

oso bad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Shrek great player good values add well all the best to him. Bring him back to the club in some capacity.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Great career Shrek, wish ya the best.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
i truly miss this bloke. whenever someone asks "if you had to pick one player to come back, who would it be?" my answer would always be o'meley without a doubt.

good luck in your future endeavours shrek. hopefully one day youll come back as a forwards coach for our young pups :D

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club has had some great props over the years and this bloke ranks up there with the best of them.
Good luck Shreck, very well played!

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The one front rower i had respect for. Ran straight and hard every run.

Status
Not open for further replies.