Manly to bring Hasler home to Brookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moves are being made at Manly to bring Hasler home to Brookie.
By Tony Adams and Joel Gould (RLW 26/4/15)

Manly is considering a daring plan to go back to the future - by targeting former favourite son Des Hasler.
The Broncos, Sharks and Newcastle have all done it this year, with former coaches Wayne Bennett, Shane Flanagan and Rick Stone returning to their old stomping grounds to rebuild their respective clubs.
RLW can reveal that in a stunning new development, sections of the Manly hierarchy are investigating bringing back Bulldogs coach Hasler to restore the club to the glory days it enjoyed under his eight-year reign.
Geoff Toovey did a stellar job to take the club to a Grand Final in 2013 and go deep into the finals in 2012 and 2014. He is a club legend who will always be a fan favourite at Brookvale Oval.
But Hasler is viewed as the man most capable of rebuilding the roster and attracting the big-name players the Sea Eagles crave. He has already helped rebuild Manly to their former glory once before, picking up the pieces from the failed Northern Eagles merger in 2004 and taking them to the finals the following year.
The Eagles have not failed to make the play-offs since .... but face a steep climb to keep the run going in 2015.
There are some officials at Canterbury who are not enamoured by Hasler's abrasive style and would not stand in his way if he moved on, although whether Manly can afford the $1 million a season he commands is a moot point.
"The people who count at Manly were always happy for Des to run the club his way because it worked," a well-placed source says.
"They'd like to see him back on deck to work his magic. It is where he belongs. It was Des who rebuilt Manly post the a Northern Eagles debacle."
The source tells RLW that some of those formerly on the Manly board wanted to treat Hasler like a novice and "virtually micromanage him" and that is why he fell out with them and eventually left for the Bulldogs in 2012.
"The club doesn't want to become one of those places where veterans go for their last deal. Manly wants to be first on the superstars' list, and Des will bring that," the source says. "But beyond that is all about rebuilding the club and developing players in systems from the grass roots up, and Des is a master at that."
The players remain behind Toovey, though, and talented utility back Peta Hiku has called on the clubs younger brigade to step and take the heat off the old guard.
"We can't expect guys like Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai to win us games on their own every week," Hiku says.
" It's up to us younger players to rise to this challenge and get us back on track and take the heat off the senior players."
"We all have to look in the mirror and work harder to get ourselves back on track."

What's everyone's thoughts???

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If he goes does that mean Dymock takes over?

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Must be a slow news week.

BTW Flanagan never left the sharks was suspended and Stone was still at the club as assistant wasn't he?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Please God be true
Are you a Manly fan?

You want to lose the coach that has got us in 2 grand finals and not missed the 8 even with Barba saga?

WTF?

Sure we didn't win the title though it was a much better season then it was for 14 other clubs!

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
There are some officials at Canterbury who are not enamoured by Hasler's abrasive style and would not stand in his way if he moved on...
Thank God..

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is there a link to this article? Looked on RLW cant find it...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Theres unfinished business here.. like what Castles proposed - 2 premierships by 2019

Malla

Reaction score
I would be ecstatic at Dymock taking over. He is currently on the Blues coaching staff and is learning from Des who is definitely a coaching great. What we are clearly lacking with Des is passion for the club, and Dymock would no doubt bring that back.

I thought of Dymock as somebody with high potential as a coach when he took over late in 2011. We were rubbish and didn't look like winning at all that year. I think from the last 6 weeks we won 4 or 5? He brought the boys together and instilled pride and passion into them, which led back to a winning culture.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Theres unfinished business here.. like what Castles proposed - 2 premierships by 2019
I remember that statement by her. so if we don't win even 1 by 2019 is that considered a fail?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I would not be upset if Des left as long as Jim Dymock took over.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I like Jimmy Dymock too though cmon guys. Almost every club fires up when they are running like trash and coach gets the chop. The wheels usually fall off.

Am I the only one who rates Des as a top coach of the game with 1-2 others in his league?

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Jimmy Dymock too though cmon guys. Almost every club fires up when they are running like trash and coach gets the chop. The wheels usually fall off.

Am I the only one who rates Des as a top coach of the game with 1-2 others in his league?
I'm with you, I also think his one of the best coaches in the game

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to lose des yet not before we at least win one premiership. I stated this the other day if we let des go I believe we wouldn't make a GF for at least ten years

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
problem with a des move is that he will bring everyone with him.

expect mbye, lichaa and potentially klemmer to go.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not be upset if Des left as long as Jim Dymock took over.
Nah not dymock we need to get Ricky Stuart if des leaves look what he Stuart did for parra and Cronulla he is top 5 coaches of all time we need him.

No but seriously I don't want des to go but yeah there no one else apart from dymock I'd want to take over.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also imagine if des goes to manly and we get Toovey I might kill myself if that happend

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score

I use to think he was the best coach by far when he was at Manly. the style he had them playing in attack and Defence was the best iv ever seen in my opinion. players were in motion in attack and they use to rush up and hit you like they were a slab of cement in defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.