Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malcolm Noad targeted, Bulldogs to implode
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Ray Chesterton

February 18, 2008 12:00am

THE Bulldogs are determined to tear themselves apart despite a tenuous peace deal brokered by yesterday's rebel board victory.

Simmering tensions at the club are set to explode next month when the new board meets for the first time.

Top on its agenda is the ousting of besieged chief executive Malcolm Noad. The man tipped to replace Mr Noad is former player Graeme Hughes who, despite leading the rebel ticket, ironically failed to win a spot on the new board yesterday.

New factions and pressures emerged after yesterday's ballot and club president George Peponis is desperately looking for a truce before the club implodes.

Accepting the impossibility of being able to unite his board, Dr Peponis has convinced former premier John Fahey to mediate between the warring factions next month.

Have the Bulldogs made the right decision? Vote in our poll and have your say below.

With the start of the season just weeks away, the volatile Bulldogs are seemingly determined to tear themselves apart, destroying supporters' hopes for 2008.

Things are so poisonous that two newly elected board members from rival tickets refused to shake hands after the ballot was announced, and compromise seems as far away as ever. The prime dispute is over the future of Mr Noad, who is struggling for support from the new board.

A rebel ticket led by Mr Hughes swept six of the seven available seats to gain control.

Although Mr Hughes missed being elected, he could be appointed CEO if the board sacks Mr Noad, whose Rebel position has become difficult.

Dr Peponis, reappointed chairman unopposed yesterday, was guarded in his appraisal of the situation.

"I would say I am not recommending any change at this stage," he said.

"Everyone's tenure will be reviewed at an appropriate time."

Former Dogs player Paul Dunn, elected from the rebels ticket, said it was premature to discuss Mr Noad's future.

Mr Noad, whose attempts to modernise Bulldogs thinking has lost him board support, says he will not quit.

"Any decision is in their (the committee's) hands," he said.

Mr Hughes has repeatedly said his prime ambition was to get rid of Mr Noad, and other board members shared his opinion.

Mr Hughes is seen as certain to put himself forward as CEO if Mr Noad departs.

With six of his ticket on the board, Mr Hughes would be assured of strong support as well as being a force behind the scenes.

He refused to say if he would take the CEO's role. "That's not up to me," he said.

It would, however, be a massive rebuff to Bulldog voters if a candidate they rejected as a board member was suddenly appointed CEO.

"Don't put it past the board to do something like that (about Mr Hughes)," one member said. "We all know Graeme wants the CEO's job and its $400,000 salary."

Mr Hughes said he was disappointed personally in the ballot result but delighted his team was elected.

Dr Peponis will call an orientation meeting of the new board tonight but the Noad situation will be on the agenda for the first meeting in March.

Source: Daily Telegraph

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
We can not have this man as our CEO, it will just be a step back into time.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Me neither, things look like only getting worse, i just want the footy to start cause i am so sick of all this off field crap

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i agree. Hughes CANNOT be our CEO he wasnt voted in yesterday and obviously doesnt have the public support. We need someone completely new!

~doggie~diva~

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i hope noadsy doesnt go..

but if he does, it'll be nice to see Turvey have another shot :grinning:

Bulldogs_Mania

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think this will end either and i bet its goin to impact on our season

-313-

We sent a strong message by not voting Hughes in, it would be a slap in the face for all memmbers if the board turn around and appoint him as a chairman.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
this is a sensationalised article once again more will be written because the Dogs are hot property - we are not imploding, we are cleansing. 2008 is going to be better than great because the talent is already set and focused on it.

What happens at the board level is about 2009 and beyond. Sanity will prevail at the next board meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why on earth anybody is bothering to read
tripe written by ray chesterton is beyond me.
greame hughes will NOT be our club CEO.
instead of jumping on the sensationalist bandwagon
try and focus on what is truly important, the regeneration
of our great club

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
phuck telecrap, stop putting too much time into there sh*t stories.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
no graeme hughes no! he wasnt voted into the board, thus why should he be given a free ride up to be ceo. stick to ya radio gig

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

i thought this was supposed to end with the elections over.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
oh snap... if hughesy comes in... our club will be in the ****house and will be much worse than souFFS were when they had georgy piggins

Status
Not open for further replies.