Make This Happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Bulldogs management, please please please go after Cross & Blair from the Storm. They wouldn't be to expensive and would be ideal replacements for the props we have lost over the past few years. If we were willing to pay Shrek around the 300k mark, use this money to go after these guys and also get rid of some other players that we dont need, Morrin, Green, Perry, and maybe Hughes, this would free up enough cash to Blair & Cross.

Our forward pack would be an animal and would go back a few years with the players we have. Just imagine a pack like this:

8) Cross
9) Hughes(if he stays or hopefully Aiton)
10) Mason
11) Williams
12) Ryan
13) Maitua

14) Armit
15) Te Maari
16) Blair
17) Utility player, maybe Roberts or a hooker.

Then we still have players like Koups, Hickey, Winterstein, Mcilwain fighting for a top grade spot, that pack is an absolute beast, cmon doggies...Make it happen.

ps. I know im dreaming loll

pps. Idea credited to Billya-Bulldog!!!

A

Abz

They'd together be asking for something like 400-450 (all up) I would say.

We don't just have that money lying around.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
No worries champ it can happen up to management & Vuna on the wing to add some size & pace carve em up heres hoping it happens

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score

I actually think we do, with the club willing to offer Shrek around 300k, that money can be used and also by cutting players like Perry, Hughes, Morrin, and possibly Utai, these players combined would on about 200-300k, i think we have enough money to make it happen, can you just imagine if it does.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score

If we got rid of utai,morrin,perry,hughes,phelps we would have the cash we need new blood in our side

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Actually, we need new blood and have to sign some guys that have experience and have played first grade before. Yes its good to sign some youngsters who we can bring up but we need players who can step up straight away, this is possible and although it wont happen, i dont wanna hear us say we dont have the money because i think with the players mentioned to get rid off, we can have enough to go hard for these guys.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
lol here we go again.

Release half the first grade squad so we can buy 3 players.

Note: we actually have to have a certain amount of paid first graders on the books. We can't just sack 8 players and go and buy the best 17 money can buy.

Eg. If we were to get rid of Morrin (who's on about 70k) we would have to replace him with another player to make up the 25 in the first grade squad. The minimum salary for someone in that squad of 25 if (correct me if I'm wrong) is about $50k. So to get rid of Morrin you would save about $20k and have to replace him with someone less experienced (ie. cheaper). This affects our depth in case of injuries and rep duties etc.

It's a great sounding idead but unfortunately it isn't that simple.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we have enough depth in the forwards. hickey has to come good once he toughens up a bit more and gets a little quicker. He'll be regarded as one of the top forwards in the game.

It's the backs we need! A consistent dominating Half.. and two backs with attacking flare.. and good defensive capabilities

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
lol here we go again.

Note: we actually have to have a certain amount of paid first graders on the books. We can't just sack 8 players and go and buy the best 17 money can buy.

Eg. If we were to get rid of Morrin (who's on about 70k) we would have to replace him with another player to make up the 25 in the first grade squad. The minimum salary for someone in that squad of 25 if (correct me if I'm wrong) is about $50k. So to get rid of Morrin you would save about $20k and have to replace him with someone less experienced (ie. cheaper). This affects our depth in case of injuries and rep duties etc.

i know its not as simple as that but if we release say for example 5 players, it doesn't mean we have to go out and buy 5 players to replace them with, we can bring up younger guys in the lower grade to come up. And our forward depth this year isn't that great and with the loss of O'Meley, is only going to get worse if we arn't proactive in signing some new blood.

With Shrek already gone, we can afford to lose a few others Phelphs can leave (we got enough centres), Perry (past it), Morrin (is ok but average), Hughes (would only release him if we got a decent, good new hooker) and possibly even Utai if he asks for too much, Say these players for example, i believe that there salaries can be used to buy atleast 1 prop (Wicks, Blair, Cross), a hooker (has to be Aiton, Wing would ask for too much) and a Winger (Vuna from the warriors), these guys wouldn't ask for much and say thats losing 5/6 players and brining in about 3, it doesnt mean we have to buy another 6, you know what im trying to say.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
lol here we go again.

Nothig wrong with getting rid off the dead wood in the club & buy established first graders who will make our team better.Bring up some of the best juniors in to our FG squad to replace the guys who are going

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you're saying and believe me I agree that we definately need to buy some quality.

All I'm saying is that the salary cap is about $4.1m or so. This amount is divided by 25 players.

* There has to be 25 in the official first grade squad.

* The minimum you can pay a player within this squad of 25 is $50k. So even if you get rid of Hughes, Morrin etc and bring up a junior, you still have to pay that junior the $50k minimum if they are in the squad of 25.

* Getting rid of players to free up cash is only viable if the player you are getting rid of is grossly overpaid (which in the case of Hughes is probably true) and you can save a bit of money ie. the difference between that players salary and the minimum $50k

The downside of this is that you may have 17 high quality players on decent salaries, however you will then have 8 inexperienced juniors all earning $50k. This can be big trouble in times of injury and rep duty.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you're saying and believe me I agree that we definately need to buy some quality.

All I'm saying is that the salary cap is about $4.1m or so. This amount is divided by 25 players.

* There has to be 25 in the official first grade squad.

* The minimum you can pay a player within this squad of 25 is $50k. So even if you get rid of Hughes, Morrin etc and bring up a junior, you still have to pay that junior the $50k minimum if the are in the squad of 25.

* Getting rid of players to free up cash is only viable if the player you are getting rid of is grossly overpaid (which in the case of Hughes is probably true) and you can save a bit of money ie. the difference between that players salary and the minimum $50k

The downside of this is that you may have 17 high quality players on decent salaries, however you will then have 8 inexperienced juniors all earning $50k. This can be big trouble in times of injury and rep duty.
Agree 100% well said but its time the management promoted local juniors & cut adrift players who wont challenge for FG or want to much cash cause of reputation & past glories
I understad were your coming from Barry Ward

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Agree 100% well said but its time the management promoted local juniors & cut adrift players who wont challenge for FG or want to much cash cause of reputation & past glories
I understad were your coming from Barry Ward

Yeah for sure. There's nothing better that a young bloke trying to make a name for himself. You can't buy that sort of effort and enthusiasm.

In fact I wouldn't be that worried if we did rely on a buch of juniors during reps and in the case of injuries.

The main thing is that people realise that if we get rid of Morrin at $70k, Hughes at $100k, Perry at $90k, Mac at $80k (FOR EXAMPLE, ie these figures are guesses) we aren't clearing $340k in cap space. We would be clearing more like $140k plus replacing these blokes with youngsters on minimum wage.

So in effect by getting rid of these blokes (who can all play first grade) we'd have $140k to shop with (not very impressive), and have to replace them with unproven juniors.

People shoudn't overestimate our cap space. Remember we lost guys like O'Meley, Roy, Myles etc BEFORE they were on the really big dollars so we don't actually "save" that much by them leaving. Not enough to go on massive shopping spree's anyway.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
When you put it that way doesnt seem we have much to spend
Anyway blair signed till end of 08 with storm & dogs going for Gatis from the warriors as hooker WTF? Waste of money

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
With O'Meley gone and Utai a chance of leaving, this frees up alot more cash space.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
When you put it that way doesnt seem we have much to spend
Anyway blair signed till end of 08 with storm & dogs going for Gatis from the warriors as hooker WTF? Waste of money

How good are the Storm going re-signing their players ffs. Not too sure about Gattis. Management must see something good in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.