Maitua gone for 2 weeks *Update post # 51*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supremacy

Maz's Superman
Reaction score
The loss of Reni would have been made easier if we still had Phelps or Tonga or someone to cover the center position. That way we can still have our forwards in the forward back and not in the back line.

Losing Reni is not the end of the world obviously but it is a huge blow to our left side attack. I think best option here is to bring up someone who can play center, and although this will be a risky move, it would be better for us because that way we can still have a good forward pack and having a seasoned center in the center spot might just work well for us.

If we have our full complement of forwards charging our forward pack, it would make it easier for the backs, so bringing up a rookie wouldnt be so bad IMO.

I think Roberts should be on the bench for the hooking role, either him or Ngawini. I say put Davui in the center spot and although he might have some defensive lapses in his game, he can still throw his body to make some form of a tackle so i wouldnt mind having him there in the center spot. None of this Sonny at center crap.

My team would look like:
1. Patten
2. El Masri
3. Emelio
4. Davui
5. Utai
6. Holdsworth
7. Sherwin
8. O'Meley
9. Hughes
10. Armit
11. Mason
12. Myles/McIlwain
13. Williams

14. Ngawini/Roberts/Perry
15. Myles/McIlwain
16. Hickey
17. Kouparitsas

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1patten
2hazem
3williams
4emilio
5utai
6holdsworth
7sherwin
8omeley
9hughes (even thoug i reckon it should be perry)
10Mason
11Myes
12ryan
13dallas

14Armit
15perry
16hickey
17koupa

I would pick it

patten
hazem
emilio
?????? roberts, utai,billy the kid i think he played some fullback this year (bad coaching because every time there was a injury folkes would put a band aid on in the form of a forward to cover the wound instead of giving a young player a turn to gain experience
5utai, davui,
6dj
7sherwin
8shrek
9perry
10mase
11williams, myles
12ryan
13big mack, williams

14Hickey
15hughes
16Myles
17koupa

Bulldog Power

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why would you want a defensive liability playing hooker in the finals?

honestly?

what kind of game do you think the bulldogs play? melbourne & brisbane both are very strong up the middle of the park.... as talented as billy and ben are they still have to get better at defence. I mean compare them to buderas, cameron smith, robbie farah etc. they are not nearly near those players im sorry to say, not even close. and the only reason why perry could be, is that his defence is solid as rock, know one runs over perry ever. we need to get him up to speed because honestly perry is looking fitter then ive ever seen him, he will be an asset for sure come finals time.

A

atomic_crimson

folkes is known for picking defensive players first and foremost

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
Stevie J said:
I dont know where everyone is pulling this talk of the dragons going out first week if we lose first week.

I'm sure its wrong though? If the dragons win its impossible for them to be out in the first week.
nah i dont think it is possible..

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
boggie23 said:
(bad coaching because every time there was a injury folkes would put a band aid on in the form of a forward to cover the wound instead of giving a young player a turn to gain experience
Mate, as much as I think Folkes is one of the best coaches around, I have to agree with you 100% with that statement.

mareeta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just heard on fox sports that reni might be out for more than 2 weeks!!!!!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly i love folkes but he has a habbit of not giving blokes a go instead brining in the old warhorses to cover.

He use to do it with marteen. He was the worst player to have ever played 1st grade yet foplkes would keep on brining him in the team instead of giving blokes like utai or emilio a go.

That is what he did this year andit has come back to bte him on the bum. He is either going to brining in a debutant or play his 400 000 star forward at centre which he falls away and becomes so quite.

SBW best games have been for newzealand playing (suprise suprise) Lock Forwad

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In hindsight I think Folkes has stuffed up. He had ample opertunity during the season to atleast give some of out Premier League backs a go in first grade, especially in the last few games where we had pretty much secured 2nd spot but he persisted with playing Sonny Bill Williams and to a lesser extent Reni Maitua in the centres.

A

atomic_crimson

if they could tackle then maybe he would! as i said before he picks on defensive ability - he only puts reni/dallas when he gets desperate.

Supremacy

Maz's Superman
Reaction score
I think its a waste to wonder about past mistakes, and just worry about the now, in about 2 or 3 hours the team will be named and we'll see what Folkes will do...

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
AC is right... if you got a chance to watch Premier League this season, you would realise why PL isn't in the finals, those boys are some of the best attackers but can't tackle... the backline besides Issac Luke is made up of player who are excellent attackers, but turnstile in defense...:(

I'm guessing that's why Lambkin may have been shown the door, if he was, he's headed to Norths I remember Girvie saying here... but yeah we need a coach who can teach these boys to tackle and not just rely on their attacking brilliance to win games.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
atomic_crimson said:
if they could tackle then maybe he would! as i said before he picks on defensive ability - he only puts reni/dallas when he gets desperate.
I guess its like the chicken or the egg situation. Should players be good before they come into first grade or should they be put into first grade in order to become better players. During games that didn't really mean much to our season I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt too bad to bring in a reserve grade back. I mean worst case senario would've been that they sucked and then SBW could've taken their spot while they moved back to the bench. But I guess this is all good with hindsight. Being a coach must be one of the hardest jobs around. No wonder they keep dropping like flies...

A

atomic_crimson

`G` said:
I guess its like the chicken or the egg situation. Should players be good before they come into first grade or should they be put into first grade in order to become better players. During games that didn't really mean much to our season I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt too bad to bring in a reserve grade back. I mean worst case senario would've been that they sucked and then SBW could've taken their spot while they moved back to the bench. But I guess this is all good with hindsight. Being a coach must be one of the hardest jobs around. No wonder they keep dropping like flies...
i get what your saying but then some weeks our PL have been up and downbetween the two lower grades... so who do you pick really?

jig73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
mareeta said:
Just heard on fox sports that reni might be out for more than 2 weeks!!!!!!
Hate to post second hand information but a friend of mine who is involved with the Broncos has told me that they have information that it is worse than two weeks. F***** if I know how they got that information but he sure as hell won't tell me.

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
jig73 said:
Hate to post second hand information but a friend of mine who is involved with the Broncos has told me that they have information that it is worse than two weeks. F***** if I know how they got that information but he sure as hell won't tell me.
Depends what action the surgeon thinks is needed.

jig73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Utai Slam said:
Depends what action the surgeon thinks is needed.
Thats what I thought as well but he is telling me that they already know, I told him he is speaking s*** and just didn't want him back for their own sake.F***en Broncos!!

H

Haztrick

It is unfortunate but I'm confident we have the players to fill in. Kuouparitsas and McIllwain where stand outs on the weekend and Im sure that the whole team will lift, especially with Mason back in the pack.

Side I would like to see..

01. Luke Patten
02. Hazem El Masri
03. Andrew Emelio
04. Dallas McIllwain
05. Matt Utai
06. Daniel Holdsworth
07. Brent Sherwin
08. Mark O'Meley
09. Adam Perry
10. Chris Armit
11. Willie Mason