Maitua appeal unlikely as club offers loom

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
Maitua appeal unlikely as club offers loom
Glenn Jackson | December 8, 2008

RENI MAITUA is considering scrapping plans for an appeal of his sacking by the Bulldogs last week, with three NRL clubs expressing "genuine interest" in the back-rower.

Maitua's manager Sam Ayoub will hold talks with the three clubs today - North Queensland, South Sydney and another Sydney team - while the Bulldogs' decision to press fast forward on plans to buy Queensland Origin lock David Stagg as a replacement for the former Test back-rower would suggest the chances of an appeal are fading.

Bulldogs officials are likely to find out either today or tomorrow whether their courting of Stagg - whose management was contacted swiftly in the wake of the club's decision to terminate Maitua's contract - has been successful.

The club offered Stagg a two-year deal and it is believed Brisbane officials have given an in-principle green light for a release from the final year of his contract.

Today will also be significant for Maitua, who had planned to appeal the Bulldogs' decision to axe him over a missed training session last Monday.

"Reni and I might have to discuss whether we're in a position to do it that early [on Wednesday], even whether we want to do it at all," Ayoub said. "There's no use going down that path if the interest from the other clubs is as serious as it appears to be."

Maitua told the Herald on Saturday the chances of him returning to the Bulldogs, who had urged the NRL to deregister him for next season, were slim even after foreshadowing an appeal. After all, he had sought a release from the club during this season.

Then, Maitua wanted to leave Sydney amid strong interest from the Cowboys but Ayoub said that did not necessarily mean the Townsville club was favourite for his signature now.

"There are a lot of factors that come into play - the strength of the club, their financial capacity, the opportunity to play certain positions," Ayoub said.

Ayoub also said the interest from the NRL did not rule out the prospect of Maitua joining a Super League or even rugby union club. On the contrary, he said it "strengthened it".

Bulldogs officials will rely on their recent signings from Brisbane, hooker Michael Ennis and Ben Hannant, as well as the security of another season under contract, in their attempts to strengthen their negotiations with Stagg, the workaholic Broncos lock.

Stagg was close to leaving the Broncos this year, testing the waters before eventually deciding to take up an option for next season. But the Bulldogs, with more funds available than any club after recent personnel losses, would at least match the Broncos' deal.

Importantly, Bulldogs recruitment manager Peter Mulholland yesterday said he had been given instructions to push ahead with plans to entice Stagg even with Maitua's appeal still up in the air.

"[Coach] Kevin Moore thinks this guy fits the bill," Mulholland said. "The style of the bloke would absolutely fit into the culture of the Bulldogs. He was a very well-respected player in Brisbane. In this day and age, those guys who make 40 tackles and 20 hit-ups are vital."

da_bodi

Waterboy
Reaction score
ok i think enough is enough about Maitua... since 04 has done f all for the club except ruin its image... i think its time for every1 to move on and look at whats happening within the club ... and the possibility of Maitua running in2 a hannant bellringer =]

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
"There are a lot of factors that come into play - the strength of the club, their financial capacity, the opportunity to play certain positions," Ayoub said.
Well Mr Ayoub, lets see .....

Strength of club - Check : 80% finals appearance ratio over last 30 seasons !
Financial capacity - Check : Had something like $1 million to spend. Was earning $250,000 a year !
Positions - Check : Ample opportunity to play a variety of roles with our squad !

So it begs the question ..... if the idiot was already getting that from us, what makes him so sure he'd wind up happy at a new club if he got the same or more ?

Who cares as long as you get your 6% right Sam ?

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Agree........ totally....... I may be a poor judge, but I haven't seen Reni play a decent game for some time. He does not figure in a lot of man of the match points. It may be a godsend for Reni to have a sea change. The news about Stagg is exciting. I have been a fan of his for some time..... as I have been with Mannering.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
if u ask me stagg is better than reni.
who cares if we replace him with stagg which looks very likley i will be loving it. another great signing in stagg

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Reni the rat had a few lame attempts to lift his game this yr, but the confidence wasnt there, he wasnt running into any holes, and for some reason when he poked his nose through the line he'd drop the ball. his form has gotten worse yr by yr since making the aust. team.

we should go hard for david stagg. i agree with moore in the fact that he would be befitting of our new culture @ the dogs

ever since steve price played management and left them hanging in the lurch about his negotiations with the warriors, it seems a succession of players from that era has tried putting one over the board. be it for money or orchestrated walk-outs.

even hazem played us for a 2 yr contract the kebab stick!

MILF

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
when it comes down to it he wanted to go he left. full stop end of story lets move on.

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he will go to Souths.

Good to see him go.

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
My money is on Cowboys. Thurston & Tonga will be quite appealing. Plus the fact that they have tried to score Reni before. Should be interesting - they will be a real force next year (even still if they don't get him).

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
what ever team offers him the most money he will go to

aaronr

Waterboy
Reaction score
cowboys no way ,willie tonga is dreadful very over rated

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
non of our players have been given good service by our halves other the last few yrs,especially our centres & wingers.if we had thurstons or lockyers selective passing ive no doubt that any player in the backline would be %100 percent better player.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
non of our players have been given good service by our halves other the last few yrs,especially our centres & wingers.if we had thurstons or lockyers selective passing ive no doubt that any player in the backline would be %100 percent better player.
haha i dont think anything could improve millards or winitana's pace they have to be the worst 2 centres in australia.........why would the halves give the ball to them? they'd only drop it or get smashed hickey would out run 'em both

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
haha i dont think anything could improve millards or winitana's pace they have to be the worst 2 centres in australia.........why would the halves give the ball to them? they'd only drop it or get smashed hickey would out run 'em both
with the exception of wini the pooh, who should never wear a dogs jersey again, i disagree. look at how millard performed at the world cup when groom was giving good service.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
with the exception of wini the pooh, who should never wear a dogs jersey again, i disagree. look at how millard performed at the world cup when groom was giving good service.
theres alot better centres around than millard, i reckon my nan could catch him and bash him he's a NSW cup player at best as for wini he could get a job at central train station as a turn style thats what he does best i wouldn't even let him carry the water for the team

D

DoggyStylz

Tonga will play 2 games then will have a season ending injury.....

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
would those 2 be trial games????? lol!!!!

lol thats a good one.

Tonga and Maitua arent major losses, Tonga hasnt performed since 2004 IMO, his had good games, but nowhere near as destructive as he once was after that knee reconstruction.

Maitua has been average for 2 years and ive said that a couple of times, seriously, keeping maitua was just extra weight, like carrying 2 bricks when you only need 1.

robdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good luck in the future Reni and pull your head in stay out of trouble only advice i can give.Shame it wont be with the doggies.

sonia

chonska
Reaction score
Maitua's manager Sam Ayoub said that, along with Souths, North Queensland and one other Sydney club, a second interstate club had contacted him.

whose do u reckon is the forth club?

is either blw storm, broncos or titans considerng its interstate.

my pick titans. hopefully its not the storm or broncos i cnt see that happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.