Mahoney out? Brown stood down?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Pffft
I challenge you to keep an eagle eye on the play the ball, the ruck (for any funny business), the markers lining up, the defensive line being onside, AND determine whether that 1 guy who fell over isn't like the other 500 times someone fell over in the last 2 minutes, but is seriously hurt.

All while doing a half marathon, staying out of the way of big blokes as they try to tackle each other, having at least three annoying co-officials talking in your ear.

There are reasons the NFL has roughly 2 gazillion officials adjudicating the game, and they still need the video umpire. Reasons!

Reffing the NRL is about narrative. There is no way you can officiate in accord with the rules, so you do homework ahead of the game, decide who you feel is going to offside, not square at marker, or delaying the ruck, and when you see them you probably blow a penalty. Other than that you try to remember the rules as best you can and if you think you see something you react. Mostly you don't see much at all.
They have touch judges to tip them off about offside play, bunker officials who have a gazillion camera angles to look at and can tip them off about funny business in the ruck after the fact. They don't have to do it all alone. Nobody is expecting them to see every little thing, but ensuring the players remain safe is one of their most important responsibilities. That's not to say they can see everything or it's not forgivable for them to miss things at times. But when the ref is right there and there is an opposition player is making multiple appeals directly to them rather than choosing to join the defensive line, you have to question why the play isn't stopped.

You think attacking players don't have enough to worry about without monitoring the opposition for signs of concussion? It is the referees' job to police the game, not the players. Holding refs to account when there is an injury incident/ appeal going on right under their nose is a lot more realistic than holding opposition players to account. I mean, if it's all too much for the refs, why not get players to help them police offsides and the ruck, too? Makes no sense expecting the players to do it, dude.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Magistrate Theo Tsavdaridis agreed to adjourn the matter for three weeks.

Mr Brown was on Wednesday represented in court by solicitor David Newham and supported by Eels staff and his manager Gavin Orr.

“Mr Brown and I viewed the CCTV footage yesterday at the Bondi Police Station,” Mr Newham said outside court on Wednesday.

“It does not support the notion that on five separate occasions Mr Brown has approached this young woman and with both hands has touched both of her breasts. It does not support that at this point in time.”

Based on that my guess is he will play.

Always a Bulldog

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They have touch judges to tip them off about offside play, bunker officials who have a gazillion camera angles to look at and can tip them off about funny business in the ruck after the fact. They don't have to do it all alone. Nobody is expecting them to see every little thing, but ensuring the players remain safe is one of their most important responsibilities. That's not to say they can see everything or it's not forgivable for them to miss things at times. But when the ref is right there and there is an opposition player is making multiple appeals directly to them rather than choosing to join the defensive line, you have to question why the play isn't stopped.

You think attacking players don't have enough to worry about without monitoring the opposition for signs of concussion? It is the referees' job to police the game, not the players. Holding refs to account when there is an injury incident/ appeal going on right under their nose is a lot more realistic than holding opposition players to account. I mean, if it's all too much for the refs, why not get players to help them police offsides and the ruck, too? Makes no sense expecting the players to do it, dude.
The touch judges get it wrong half the time, and they are occupied by white lines already as it is.

No no, the players have shown many many times that they know when someone might be hurt. Lets put it on them to do the right thing, or get punished.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ciraldo needs to cut the bullsh1t crap selections and make sure F Brown is one man named on the bench vs Eels and going forward.
We can’t have yet another incident (2games in a row) our main man & captain go down & have no replacement on the bench as cover.
There is something deceptive about F Brown when he’s at dummy half on the opposition tryline.
At 9 and close to line, Brown has a great ability to spot a weak defender and drive low for good success. Would be a good option off the bench coming on in the last 10-15 of each half at 9 or offering versatility in most positions.

Having halfbacks, 5/8’s and wingers on the bench is ridiculous, however, my theory here is Ciro and Gus have basically called it for 2023 and blooding/trialling/experimenting with the roster.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The touch judges get it wrong half the time, and they are occupied by white lines already as it is.

No no, the players have shown many many times that they know when someone might be hurt. Lets put it on them to do the right thing, or get punished.
The refs have shown many times that they know when someone might be hurt too....if players can be expected to ALWAYS know, so can referees. I think this is a silly argument that's going nowhere, dude... and I'm pretty sure you are just yanking my chain....either that or you are a Sutton brother lol. Taking up on behalf of the refs is very adversarial. Wish I'd thought of it first :tearsofjoy:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The refs have shown many times that they know when someone might be hurt too....if players can be expected to ALWAYS know, so can referees. I think this is a silly argument that's going nowhere, dude... and I'm pretty sure you are just yanking my chain....either that or you are a Sutton brother lol. Taking up on behalf of the refs is very adversarial. Wish I'd thought of it first :tearsofjoy:
We can't all be heroes.

Speaking of Sutton, that incident last year with Patolo and Jackson is clear proof that the refs don't see obvious stuff. Should they? Yeah, but reality is they are biased and see their favourites. If a souffs or bonkos player gets a sprained finger nail, the ref is all over it. Two of our players have a head clash that leaves one out cold on the ground and other stumbling around like someone most of the way through a bottle of Bundy trying to pick their house keys off the ground, all within 2 metres of the ruck, and nothing. Nothing!

It is a mystery to me why you would reject the idea of retrospective score changes. Remember what Vlandy's said about the game being for entertainment purposes. What better introduction could the sport have to the wide eyed punters in Vegas than the news that the scoreline can be changed AFTER the game. Centuries of tradition thrown under the bus, fans pulling out whatever hair they have left when their come from behind win in the last two minutes is changed after the fact. Pure entertainment, the NRL would be nuts not to do it.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Magistrate Theo Tsavdaridis agreed to adjourn the matter for three weeks.

Mr Brown was on Wednesday represented in court by solicitor David Newham and supported by Eels staff and his manager Gavin Orr.

“Mr Brown and I viewed the CCTV footage yesterday at the Bondi Police Station,” Mr Newham said outside court on Wednesday.

“It does not support the notion that on five separate occasions Mr Brown has approached this young woman and with both hands has touched both of her breasts. It does not support that at this point in time.”

Based on that my guess is he will play.

Always a Bulldog
Sure sounded that way, but has been stood down.

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ciraldo needs to cut the bullsh1t crap selections and make sure F Brown is one man named on the bench vs Eels and going forward.
We can’t have yet another incident (2games in a row) our main man & captain go down & have no replacement on the bench as cover.
There is something deceptive about F Brown when he’s at dummy half on the opposition tryline.
They did have cover on the bench. Just wasn't used. Josh Reynolds can play hooker well.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They did have cover on the bench. Just wasn't used. Josh Reynolds can play hooker well.
Reynolds was 18th man and did not qualify to be used.

Reynolds defence also makes Reed look like a tackling machine. Reynolds should be nowhere near the NRL team.

Doggies2015

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reynolds was 18th man and did not qualify to be used.

Reynolds defence also makes Reed look like a tackling machine. Reynolds should be nowhere near the NRL team.
But Reed is a tackling machine?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
But Reed is a tackling machine?
He averages about 6 airballs (missed tackles) a game.... hard to call him a machine. He is probably the worst defensive hooker in the comp.