News Mahoney and Hetherington confrontation in sheds

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What amuses me is so many TK members constantly bang on about ‘corruption’ and all the things wrong with the sport - but still watch it every week :-).
I think of it like pizza. Even when it’s not great, I’ll still eat it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mahoney should fight the charge instead of accepting and pay the fine. Show video of mulitalo and luai for comparison to the panel
^^^^This ^^^^^

Reed a choirboy compared to those 2.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might actually start watching this again as I actually totally agree with Braith and Kent lol. Gordie too. It’s the fact he arced up OFF the field that makes it way more serious. The fact some people don’t get this is alarming.

Buzzard surely doesn’t believe what he’s saying and is just paid to be a troll. SURELY?!? Like how dumb is his argument? Reed’s the most penalised and a niggler. Well put him in the naughty corner!

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been cited for niggling? Why did he get charged? Was it for the push? I dont even know why he got sin binned? was it to even it out? The way I saw it Knights were niggling because they couldnt fathom the loss, running in niggling. Did mahoney get under their skin most likely definitely did, and got a player with white line fever to snap. To me that is a psychological break down. Nothing wrong with that. If fans can boo opposition teams why cant players niggle each other.

What makes that contrary conduct? If that is the case why not just get the players to wear tape over their mouth? And how are these charges made on the fly? The game is falling apart. Hearing that they want to eliminate long kick offs too. Yes I get it it is a brutal sport and the kick off is probably the biggest impact possible. But it is what makes the game a spectacle. Imagine going to Vegas next year and no one can put a hit on or rattle someone like the raiders fullback the other day. It will turn into a game that is unrecognisable. And to be honest not being able to niggle or get into someones head is another soft AF citing and charge. Unless it was racial it a war out there. If someone cracks because they have no discipline then so be it. Cant penalise the opposition because that player had no control.
Not sure about getting cited, but Mick Ennis got sent for 10 for sledging Hindmarsh that one time

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Paul Kent: The NRL jumped the shark again when charging Reed Mahoney with contrary conduct
Telegraph Sport

The NRL returned to its favourite sport of shark jumping on Monday when Bulldogs hooker Reed Mahoney, for the offence of a smile and a wave, was charged with contrary conduct and will now be $1000 lighter in the pocket.
The plot has officially been lost.

Mahoney was charged for, what, exactly?

On the evidence in, he had a running battle with Jackson Hastings throughout the game and got the opportunity to go one up near the end when Hastings hit the ground after a loose pass.

Mahoney dived onto him but then Jaeman Salmon, spotting Hastings defenceless, gave the big heave-ho and drove his shoulder in to Hastings laying on the ground.

Then the game embarrassed itself in the usual manner.

Big burly men came together and shoved and pushed and jerked on collars with their chests puffed out, not a punch was thrown in anger, and when they were finally quietened down by the little man with the whistle they separated looking fairly well pleased with themselves.

How long the game continues to endure these embarrassing melees is unknown.

There appears to be no embarrassment from headquarters at such scenes.

Personally, for this longtime listener, first time caller, I would much rather see the players throw a few punches, sort each other out, and then get on with the game like they were all friends again, like it used to happen.

But having all but eliminated punching and fighting from the game, head office has left the game half-pregnant, tolerating these ridiculous melees that are perhaps not quite as ugly, but certainly more embarrassing, than the old all-in brawl.

It’s hardly a preferred option.

But then the game jumped the shark when Mahoney was charged.

A tackle after the Hastings incident, Mahoney tackled Jack Hetherington with feeling, hanging on too long in the tackle which is unwise in most instances but particularly when Hetherington is involved.

Hetherington is a throwback.

Born a generation too late, and maybe then some, Hetherington clipped Mahoney and the Bulldogs hooker did what we all would do in similar circumstances, the sane ones anyway, and hung on for his dear old life.

So another melee, chests puffed at 10 paces.

Both teams came together and had their little dance and referee Peter Gough called Hetherington out and sent him to the bin.

Gough had already warned both sides he had reached his tolerance and the next flare-up would see players go.

As Hetherington looked on, somewhat bewildered but with a hot temper percolating, Mahoney, like cheeky halves and hookers have always been known to do, rubbed it in further laughing and waving bye-bye.

Then Gough sent Mahoney off, too.

It was all well handled by the referee.

Then came the back page news.

Hetherington waited up the tunnel and Mahoney neared and he started bouncing on his toes, Roberto Duran in warm-up, and smiling with malicious intent.

It was an assassin’s smile.

When Mahoney came into range Hetherington whacked him in the chest. Whether it was a push or a punch was unclear, but it was sufficient enough for the match review committee to charge him with a grade two contrary conduct.

But then the match review committee jumped the shark.

For reasons that struggle for explanation Mahoney was charged with a grade one contrary conduct.

For a smile and a wave?

It had nothing to do with the tunnel incident, NRL officials say, but for his conduct on the field.

It might be the most embarrassing charge ever laid.

With deeper thoughts, though, it highlights how cautious the match review committee is in regard to public reaction.

Charging Mahoney was the safe but weak solution.

It was a pre-emptive charge to head off any damning reaction to the tunnel incident while privately declaring Mahoney was at no actual fault in the incident, should that come up.

Examine Mahoney’s on-field behaviour in isolation and there has never been another player charged for it in the history of the game.

Back in the prehistoric age the ARL, which was then running the game, understood the ugly look all-in brawls were giving the game and the move to eliminate them was as simple as immediately sending off the third man in.

Two players might come together and fight, and the crowd would get their elicit thrill, but the third man in provoked the fourth man and the fifth man and suddenly mums were shielding their children’s eyes.

The NRL could eradicate the melee by simply sin-binning the third player who thinks it’s a good idea to puff his chest out and go shirt-grabbing.

The melee does not cover any of them in glory.

But players have become conditioned to enter as a show of support for a teammate and it has now reached pandemic proportions.

Bring back the third man in rule and save the match review committee from embarrassing itself, and the game, like it did when it charged Mahoney on Monday.
I know that most here are not fans of Kenty but I agree with his question as to why Reed was fined. It seems these days the NRL is very content when it is swelling its coffers and the number of suspensions vs the number of fines is fast becoming very lopsided.

Perhaps we should be encouraging the NRL to change its insignia with the following reprsenting their Key performance indicators (KPIs)

1713833034278.png

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This argument holds fuck all weight lol. Buzz is like Mahoney gets fined because he's the most penalised player in the comp over the last 2 years and they are catching up with him... Then when it's time to assess if one of the most suspended players over the last few years should get more than 1 week and he scoffs at it haha. Old man should give it away asap
So what if he is regularly penalised? Does that then mean that he should be punished on suspicion? The charge contrary conduct wtf? How is a smile and a wave contrary to the spirit of the game. If a smile and a gesture are now considered that well why not charge every player that celebrates scoring a try or their team mates for congratulating them or those that direct a wry smile at the ref in astonishment over a ruling.
Mulitano from the Sharks is forever smiling and rubbing it in to opposition.

A player is guilty of Contrary Conduct if he behaves in a way that is contrary to the true spirit of the game. “The true spirit of the game” is defined as a spirit of sportsmanship and fair play in the course of a vigorous sporting contest.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been cited for niggling? Why did he get charged? Was it for the push? I dont even know why he got sin binned? was it to even it out? The way I saw it Knights were niggling because they couldnt fathom the loss, running in niggling. Did mahoney get under their skin most likely definitely did, and got a player with white line fever to snap. To me that is a psychological break down. Nothing wrong with that. If fans can boo opposition teams why cant players niggle each other.

What makes that contrary conduct? If that is the case why not just get the players to wear tape over their mouth? And how are these charges made on the fly? The game is falling apart. Hearing that they want to eliminate long kick offs too. Yes I get it it is a brutal sport and the kick off is probably the biggest impact possible. But it is what makes the game a spectacle. Imagine going to Vegas next year and no one can put a hit on or rattle someone like the raiders fullback the other day. It will turn into a game that is unrecognisable. And to be honest not being able to niggle or get into someones head is another soft AF citing and charge. Unless it was racial it a war out there. If someone cracks because they have no discipline then so be it. Cant penalise the opposition because that player had no control.
All a bit woke isn't it!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know that most here are not fans of Kenty but I agree with his question as to why Reed was fined. It seems these days the NRL is very content when it is swelling its coffers and the number of suspensions vs the number of fines is fast becoming very lopsided.

Perhaps we should be encouraging the NRL to change its insignia with the following reprsenting their Key performance indicators (KPIs)

View attachment 107299
Probably need to make back some money for all the flights to Vegas :p few more of these 1000 and 1500 dollar fines and should be breaking even :p

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A very insightful dig at the problematic systems that most likely lie behind many of the problems we are seeing.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't think the ref did anything wrong. He's trying to defuse a situation and if Mahoney keeps egging old mate Brutus on and disobeying instruction, he should be warned then binned.

I don't mind the niggle but if Mahoney ever wants that captain's band again he needs to know when to shut up.
Yes.This.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably need to make back some money for all the flights to Vegas :p few more of these 1000 and 1500 dollar fines and should be breaking even :p
At least the fines are tax deductible.

Always a Bulldog