News Mahoney and Hetherington confrontation in sheds

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a fast game mate.
Easy to be an armchair critic.
I know I wouldn’t get 100% of calls right and I reckon that applies to everyone else too.
I know every ref is human and has a soft spot and hard head to certain teams, I know I will.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I know every ref is human and has a soft spot and hard head to certain teams, I know I will.
Ha, yeah. If I was a ref I know I’d find it hard to give a leg up to Parra. And Manly. And Soufs. And the Chooks, and…OK good I was never a ref :tearsofjoy:.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There’s a sh!t ton of old Bulldogs players who wouldn’t cop that sh!t… add Kevin Ryan, Peter Tunks, Billy Johnson, Jarrod McCracken, Solomon Haumono, SBW, Mark O’Meley, Bruce Maguire, Frank Pritchard, David Gillespie, Dean Pay, Robbo etc… we had many take no sh!t footy players… and I’d say that list wouldn’t care what era it was, it would be on for young and old!!
Billy johnson
Definitely one to avoid

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but NRL can't justify a fine for clapping and being cheeky, that's outrageous... Sin bin is sufficient but even that is pushing it.

I understand the rhetoric about yappy players being protected via the no punch rule etc. but to threaten characters in the game for harmless behaviour that adds to their entertainment is wild.
This is what got me in the first instance. I thought Reed could only have been binned for words, because he didn’t do anything else, which to my mind, unless it’s something aimed at the ref is absolutely bullshit to be binned for that. What next, any sledging is a sin bin?!

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what got me in the first instance. I thought Reed could only have been binned for words, because he didn’t do anything else, which to my mind, unless it’s something aimed at the ref is absolutely bullshit to be binned for that. What next, any sledging is a sin bin?!
it felt as if it was the end of game and he didn't want to deal with it so he binned them.. pretty poor effort from the ref if so because it was a couple of face palms that barely connected

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet Ciro played it down and said ‘Jack’s a good bloke’ so I guess opinions differ. Not that I agree with Ciro though - I think Jack is an A-Grade moron - I didn’t even like him during his brief stint at Belmore.
Ciro is always diplomatic. Reed wasn’t hurt so he had no need to make more of it anyway.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy that the dogs want a detailed explanation on why Reed was charged.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney didn’t really do shit , the only reason Reed got marched is so Newcastle keep the ball and receive a penalty.
Ref spoke to the captains and said keep control or I have to march someone, the video replay showed hetherington react and started pushing and swinging, so he had to be penalised him, but for Newcastle to keep the ball he sent Mahoney.
What I want to know is whether Reed cops the fine of the tunnel incident didn’t happen. I doubt it

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They both got binned for the shirtfront.
When Hetherington got marched first, Reed loudly broke out into cheering and clapping and pointing towards the tunnel. Not a big deal most would (fairly) say but that’s when the ref called him over and said he ‘went on with it’. That’s what the fine is for - not the shirt front and not the tunnel. I’m not saying what I think is right or wrong - just what I think happened.
No chance! Reed was going to stay on the field but when he went on with it (clapping and grinning), that's when he got the 10mins after Hetherington. That's allthe punishment he should have got. So, the fine is BS.
The NRLOL are acting as if this is kindergarten and punishing both even though one hit the other and the other did nothing, so punish both of them.....fucking laughing stock of sport.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They both got binned for the shirtfront.
When Hetherington got marched first, Reed loudly broke out into cheering and clapping and pointing towards the tunnel. Not a big deal most would (fairly) say but that’s when the ref called him over and said he ‘went on with it’. That’s what the fine is for - not the shirt front and not the tunnel. I’m not saying what I think is right or wrong - just what I think happened.
If thats contrary conduct then Ronaldo Mulitalo should cop a fine every week.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No chance! Reed was going to stay on the field but when he went on with it (clapping and grinning), that's when he got the 10mins after Hetherington. That's allthe punishment he should have got. So, the fine is BS.
The NRLOL are acting as if this is kindergarten and punishing both even though one hit the other and the other did nothing, so punish both of them.....fucking laughing stock of sport.
Well that’s how it was explained.
What amuses me is so many TK members constantly bang on about ‘corruption’ and all the things wrong with the sport - but still watch it every week :-).

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think the ref did anything wrong. He's trying to defuse a situation and if Mahoney keeps egging old mate Brutus on and disobeying instruction, he should be warned then binned.

I don't mind the niggle but if Mahoney ever wants that captain's band again he needs to know when to shut up.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Braith's giving it to the old **** lol

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Court? Has anyone been charged by Police? No.

I never said it was funny nor am I defending him.
But comparing something that happened to our then skipper 9 years ago to paint some ‘anti Bulldog agenda’ followed by some story (that I didn’t even read) about an American boxer (from what I saw) is odd.

Even Ciraldo framed it as ‘not too serious’ and the NRL have made the call - Hetherington gets a week for being an idiot and he deserves it.
View attachment 107249
The judiciary likes to pretend it is a court.

I think it is hilarious (which probably isn't good for me).

Unfortunately it really isn't a good look for the game.