Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mad Dog Origin plea
By Brent Rread
June 23, 2005

ADAM MacDougall, once the most feared winger in the game, has pleaded with NSW selectors to give him the chance to do an "Andrew Johns" in the third and deciding State of Origin game.

Inspired by Johns's Origin II heroics, MacDougall sent the Blues brains trust a timely reminder of his credentials as Luke Rooney struggled to overcome a groin injury in the lead-up to this year's decider.

"I would like to do an Andrew Johns and have one more opportunity to play at that level and see what I can do," MacDougall said.

"That's what it's all about.

"I know if by some chance the opportunity would come again I wouldn't let anyone down.

"You wouldn't want for a bigger stage. I know I can perform on the big stage."

It's been four frustrating years since MacDougall pulled on the sky-blue jersey, making the last of his 11 appearances in the third game of the 2001 series.

Injuries have cruelled his representative career.

Last year he was edging towards a Test recall until being struck down by an achilles injury.

Advertisement:
"I know if given the opportunity to play at that level it would be pretty easy to shine again," he said.
"It's easy when you're running off Andrew Johns. I would give my left arm to get an opportunity again.

"Physically, I am feeling pretty good. I feel fit, I feel strong and I feel pretty good.

"I'd love the opportunity to play with Andrew Johns, Danny Buderus, Ben Kennedy and Steve Simpson."

However, the 30-year-old, with a World Cup win on his resume, rates himself only a slim chance of cracking the NSW squad.

Parramatta's Eric Grothe, Sydney Roosters' Amos Roberts and Bulldogs kicker Hazem El Masri are among the contenders should Rooney be ruled out.

Selectors could also shunt Matt Cooper to the wing and call on Roosters centre Ryan Cross.

"I don't consider myself to be a chance," MacDougall said.

"As Joey (Johns) emphasised to me, once you have performed at that level, it's like riding a bike. He said the hardest thing is the mental side of it.

"I have always enjoyed the challenge of playing Origin at Suncorp. It's probably my favourite ground.

"It's a pretty hostile place. The week and the pressure can ruin some players."

With the NSW side to be named on Monday, MacDougall can give his cause a boost with a big performance against Melbourne at Olympic Park.

The other contenders for Rooney's spot also face interesting weekends.

Grothe gets the chance to showcase his form against the Sydney Roosters, featuring Roberts and Cross, tomorrow night.

The 25-year-old, selected to play Origin in 2000 before succumbing to a knee injury, has been outstanding for the Eels this season.

"Eric has been in terrific form," Parramatta coach Brian Smith said. "He's played really well for us. He's had some games this year where he's come up with the most outstanding plays in the game."

** Don't you love when they beg for a spot in Origin....pfft **

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha!!!

Stubbsie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry Mad Dog but i think your origin days are over.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Stubbsie said:
Sorry Mad Dog but i think your origin days are over.

lol, unless wendall sailor makes a recall 2 the Qld side, then dont expect macdougall 2 ever be picked again.

I wouldnt mind those 2 lining up against eachother one more time, their battles were hectic, i remember wen the knights played broncos in brisbane & i think sailor was about 20 out from the knights line, macdougall than stole the ball off him one on one, & ran about 80 metres to score. macdougall always got the better of sailor, maybe he should go 2 rugby & play against him there

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Bahh hahahahhahhahhahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahah. Ha

Spenno

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mad Dog was and still is a bloody strong tough runner. He could still handle SOO easily and i would rather see him there than that arrogant tosser Grothe. I have only seen Grothe play live twice but both times there was not a lazier player on the field. Mad dog gives 100 every match.
I'd like to see him there....but not over Hazem

B

Bwaif

Hazem will never get picked and it's such a major shame.... I'd rather see Grother out there, he's been outstanding this year.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
Mad dog woun't get picked over Eric. It would be good to see him play an origin game again but souths will really need him that week he dosen't play.I doubt it heaps that he will get in the side. Ashley Harrison is most likely a ceratin to play for QLD so we need Mad Dog!!

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
sorry but i doubt Hazem will get picked ova Eric.Don't u remember fitzgibon adn Johns will b the kickers!

Status
Not open for further replies.