News Luke Thompson reportedly open to joining Roosters on less money as Bulldogs suffer double blow

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
A few things to note is from Wielder with a quote from Gus so definitely Gus's side of the story. That means it's prob true. Maybe trying a few things such as forcing roosters to report signing him on a bit more. Although I don't think any club even us would pay more than 400 for him. Been shit since coming back from injury. If roosters take him maybe locks out a young up and comer we can grab. Could also be his Managers last ditch attempt for a deal. Roosters we will take any deal! If that fails ring west tigers. However with balance of squads I think roosters are his only chance of staying in NRL.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fck off clown, overwhelming majority of the best forwards are all Pasifika or Māori
I gave blood sweat and tears.
If I was 110 kilos and built like Jonah Loki I’d make 50-70 tackles a game and score three tries a few times a season.
Some of the best players are Tongans, Western and American Samoans, Cook Islands, etc. Usually the power game and not the workhorse game.
Some just do the Willie manu, TPJ, Atoni, Idris thing.
Big Kna$h how are Manly doing wonders plucking these unknown Tongans from western sydney and turning them into superstars?? It started way back with John hopoate going to Manly from minto...is there a Tongan brothel in the Northern beaches or is it the Tongan church??

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who cares? He was disappointing with us, we don't want to keep him and he'll likely be the same player with the Roosters or another club. Good luck to him when he leaves. He doesn't owe us anything and we don't owe him anything. Move on. Why people are upset about this when 99% of people don't want to keep him, even on a cheap deal, is anyone's guess..
I don’t care if he leaves. If true, him saying that he would sign for less to play at the roosters than with us a fkn bitch move considering IMO. Thommo on a deal at his true value, just over min wage would be good considering how light we are in the middle

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs prop Luke Thompson is reportedly keen on joining the Roosters after an injury ravaged run at the club.

Thompson is on a contract worth $800,000-a-season at the Bulldogs but could join the Tricolours for less in a major coup for the club after releasing Matt Lodge to Manly and Fletcher Baker's decision to sign with Brisbane.

Nine's NRL reporter Danny Weidler revealed the Englishman's rumoured move.

"It's an interesting one, and this will probably get people scratching their head a little bit but Luke Thompson is telling people he would like to play for the Roosters for less," he told Nine's 100% Footy.

"We've heard that story before. There's been an approach that Thompson would like to go to the Roosters and he's got an association with (incoming assistant coach) Justin Holbrook

"I think there's a couple of other clubs that would like Luke Thompson. I don't know whether (Phil Gould's) Dogs are still in with a chance of keeping him or if they even want him, I don't know.

"I do know that Luke Thompson has been linked (to the Roosters), there was an approach to Nick Politis, the chairman of the Roosters. It'll be interesting to see if that goes through. I don't know how they fit him into the cap though."

Gould, the Bulldogs general manager, was asked whether he thinks the Roosters could fit him in their salary cap and gave a sly response.

"Yeah they can fit him in, they fit everyone in," he said.

Weidler also revealed that Connor Watson is likely to stay at the Roosters on a two-year contract despite Gould expressing his keen interest in the utility to join the Bulldogs.
So how exactly is this a double-blow to us?

• He's done SFA every since he arrived
  • He's injury prone
  • He's on top dollar
The way I see it, him leaving is AWESOME news for us as it frees up a lot of salary cap space, and the fact that he's going to the Roosters to play shit over there is a bonus.

This is a double win, not a double blow.

Man I love when journo's make an ass out of themselves.

Clutching at straws much?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Luke hasn't shown any great desire to put in great performances these past 3 games. Fair enough he is not fully match fit but is still technically able to put in big efforts like a few runs and big defence but hasn't made his presence felt at all.

Very disappointing and sub par from the player a lot gave the benefit of the doubt to as a Bulldog player.

We don't know if this is yet another media beat up re Roosters but let the cards fall where they may at this stage.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We have the worst front row in the comp next year
But a great FB, who is clever an has speed, footwork and hunger with every touch. Maybe even 7 If that’s where he’s placed.

some think Taaffe is only a cup player lol. Yet he shows more than our top signings.. Burton an fox,Reed for example. Critta an xerri should do well. As long as critta coming here is another panthers fail. Cos we know he can’t play FB haha. Deff a centre of wing.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But a great FB, who is clever an has speed, footwork and hunger with every touch. Maybe even 7 If that’s where he’s placed.

some think Taaffe is only a cup player lol. Yet he shows more than our top signings.. Burton an fox,Reed for example. Critta an xerri should do well. As long as critta coming here is another panthers fail. Cos we know he can’t play FB haha. Deff a centre of wing.
You being so excited over Taafe is fkn classic Scooby bro lol

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Generally, our back line is pretty good for next year - but our forwards are of concern.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.

This may be unpopular opinion - but I hope we match the roosters offer on the table and he sticks with us. He owes us. He can be devastating at his best. Remember the sharks game
10:15 for a taste

We are short on props. If he can have some luck with injuries, hes valuable. I think we need him
That's the ONLY good game he played for us. After he goes missing with us for 4 year he'll probably go to the Roosters for unders like 350K and he'll only take up 250K on their official cap LOL

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Generally, our back line is pretty good for next year - but our forwards are of concern.
Agree, our forward stocks look really quite dismal for 2024.

So, Pele is gone, TPJ is gone, Thompson looks gone, Sutton and RFM are gone, going, disinterested (or whatever?), and Patolo seems to be injured quite a lot (?).
In : Taukeiaho (?).

As it stands, our pack is being pummelled by every other forward pack each and every week and there's not a lot of available talent out there.
That's a little disheartening for 2024.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, our forward stocks look really quite dismal for 2024.

So, Pele is gone, TPJ is gone, Thompson looks gone, Sutton and RFM are gone, going, disinterested (or whatever?), and Patolo seems to be injured quite a lot (?).
In : Taukeiaho (?).

As it stands, our pack is being pummelled by every other forward pack each and every week and there's not a lot of available talent out there.
That's a little disheartening for 2024.
Getting dominated every week and these soft cocks complaining about training too hard. We need some real forwards not these bitches.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The biggest issue for me is that he wants to go to the goosters for less. Any man of reasonable integrity after the 4 years he's had would want to stay at the Dogs for less.

Irrespective of whether he's good or not for them (if he goes, I hope he tanks), his character is not the kind we want to keep. I want players that love the club at the club I love.

At his best he would be a good 13 for us for a year or 2, if he wants to be part of our club, feels gratitude and obligation for the $3.2M for what amounted to a handful of games and goodness knows what his rehabs have cost us.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While its going to be tough moving forward I'd much rather have limited options than be stuck with players who are here for the wrong reasons.

Club will need to think outside the box moving forward.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The biggest issue for me is that he wants to go to the goosters for less. Any man of reasonable integrity after the 4 years he's had would want to stay at the Dogs for less.

Irrespective of whether he's good or not for them (if he goes, I hope he tanks), his character is not the kind we want to keep. I want players that love the club at the club I love.

At his best he would be a good 13 for us for a year or 2, if he wants to be part of our club, feels gratitude and obligation for the $3.2M for what amounted to a handful of games and goodness knows what his rehabs have cost us.
It could just be media lies to cause further destabilisation, his manager rustling up interest OR Gus didn't offer an extension.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The part that mentions “for less” baffles me. Of course he going for less. It won’t matter where he signs he will be getting half of what he has been robbing us of.