Luke Brooks

Malla

Reaction score
Yep Clune is running that team
Clune and their forward pack. They have such a great forward pack, Saifiti bro's, Frizell and Mann at lock has been a revelation.

Clifford is OK, not saying he's bad, but he's not great. He's barely good.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clune and their forward pack. They have such a great forward pack, Saifiti bro's, Frizell and Mann at lock has been a revelation.

Clifford is OK, not saying he's bad, but he's not great. He's barely good.
Yep they have completely changed their attack. Having Johns has helped

We have Jacko playing the role that Mann plays but he doesnt have the ball playing skills to make it work. Would have been handy if Asiata rolled up his sleeve and got a fuckin jab but thats done and dusted now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep agreed. I actually think he is a running five eighth and the last time I checked we definitely have enough of those.

I dont mind the thought of letting Thompson go though. I think he has been pretty underwhelming this year
His game management has always been lacking, even at his best it was off the back of his running game so yh he's probably more of a 5/8. All of the blame should be on coaching and development though imo, key players are not being developed correctly while the current state of coaching is absolutely pathetic. There's barely any tactical battles between coaches and they all just recycle the same ideas and try to play similar ways. Penrith win a comp and all of a sudden teams are all trying to play with on the ball halfbacks and ball playing locks regardless if it suits the roster or not. Even the Roosters are struggling with Keary, Walker and Teddy in their spine because they went away from what works while trying to imitate others.

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
its round 4, a new team with players from everywhere and there is enough panic over the half back role to think Brooks is the answer.
Irrational in the least.

Malla

Reaction score
Yep they have completely changed their attack. Having Johns has helped

We have Jacko playing the role that Mann plays but he doesnt have the ball playing skills to make it work. Would have been handy if Asiata rolled up his sleeve and got a fuckin jab but thats done and dusted now
Hence why I think JMK may be a good option at lock. He has played in the halves and can defend in the middle.

Forgot about Asiata completely. He would have been so good at lock when you look at how bad we are struggling with Jacko there.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Cameron Smith reveals Storm were interested in signing Luke Brooks

Melbourne legend Cameron Smith has revealed the Storm were interested in signing embattled Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.

Brooks, 27, has played his entire NRL career at the Tigers and was once touted as the next big playmaker in the game, likened to legendary No.7 Andrew Johns.

But the Tigers haven't played finals in a decade, and Brooks has copped the brunt of criticism for the club's ill fortune.

He was linked to a move to Newcastle over the off-season, and requested a release, but the Tigers dug their heels in and refused to let him leave.

Now, Smith says the Knights weren't the only rival club keen on luring Brooks away.

"Joey (Johns) has spoken about how he would take him up to Newcastle to play there," Smith told 9News.

"I actually believe not so long ago the Storm were interested in taking Brooks down there, as a replacement for Cooper Cronk.

"The young man has got some quality... he just needs to find some confidence."

Cronk was the Storm halfback until leaving in 2017, and he went on to win consecutive premierships with the Roosters before retiring.

Jahrome Hughes now wears the purple No.7 jumper and has blossomed into one of the best halfbacks in the game.

The Tigers have won three of their last 14 games, and are winless through three rounds this season.

The heat is on coach Michael Maguire, and Smith was asked how long 'Madge' will last if the team doesn't improve.

"Maybe a few more weeks," Smith said.

"If there is a loss again tonight for the Tigers it just adds more pressure to the players, it adds more pressure to the coach.

"Personally I know Madge, he is a great coach. He is a premiership coach... he's got great qualities about him.

"I just think this team needs to find its groove again. They weren't too far away last week, they were maybe a Bunker decision away from winning a game.

"A victory will do wonders for them."

Video - Why Joey wanted Brooks at Newcastle

Always a Bulldog

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The sad thing is there's a massive shortage of good game managing halfbacks around, let alone those who are off contract. We'll probably have to resign to developing some young kid in a year or two whilst working with who we've got.
It appears that way for now. As painful as it is, its our situation and not much can be done about it in the short term.
I have faith that Gus will sort it out as soon as he can

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hence why I think JMK may be a good option at lock. He has played in the halves and can defend in the middle.

Forgot about Asiata completely. He would have been so good at lock when you look at how bad we are struggling with Jacko there.
Yep I had the same thought about JMK next year.

Jackson Topine could also be a possibility in that role.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not while Baz is coach.
Yep agreed. He seems intent on keeping Jacko in that role.

I have no problem with Jacko at lock but not as a ball playing lock if we want to play that style. He actually struggles to hit the player with the pass let alone know when to pass and when to run. There is no deception whatsoever in his ball playing.

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get that feeling the Brookes & Thompson deal is getting closer ..I hope I'm wrong !!!

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks is on a million dollars nxt yr, tigers would need to pump in half , but a swap deal with Thompson could be on the cards, and it could happen this yr with Ryan Sutton joining us early ,stand by
I love when you have your golf days Dave. Thanks for the info.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tristan Sailor cleared of 2 counts of sexual assault, and without a club (Dragons sacked him).

Be interesting to see if a club snaps him up.

Fullback/Centre/Halves.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He looks like he needs a change of scenery, he looks like his heart is not in it at the Tigers under Madge

But we really going to be carrying 4 halfbacks in our 30?

If Baz could do a better Coaching job we wouldn’t have 3 useless 7s at the moment