SMH Luai

Status
Not open for further replies.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I done a bit of digging with some contacts out Penrith way.

I asked why did Luai dump SFX, was it because of a conflict of interest since George represents the Clearys plus 6 other Penrith players and Luai believed he was down their list of priorities?

Does he have a case looking at the top 5;
Ivan and Nathan Cleary both signed to 2027
Dylan Edwards signed to 2027
James Fisher-Harris singed to 2026
Isaah Yeo signed to 2027

It's hard not to agree that Luai, with a much shorter 2 year offer on the table, has been treated much worse than SFX's other Penrith players. That's before we even get into the $'s. If he sacked SFX because he thought they were short selling him, then he will be even more pissed with Penrith because they are definitely shafting him.

The posts so far are mostly missing the real $'s involved. If Penrith's current offer is $850k per season for 2 years = $1.7m Compared to another club that has offered $1.1m per season for 4 years = $4.4m. That's not a $250k difference, it's a $2.7m difference. What player in their right mind is going to take $1.7m guaranteed instead of $4.4m guaranteed.

No player knows what is going to happen in the next contract period, he might have a career ending injury in season 1. With a 4 year contract he gets paid for 3 more years. With a 2 year contract he gets paid for 1 more year. The length of the contracts offered can't be ignored when comparing offers from different clubs.

The above to me indicates that Luai is pissed that he is still being low balled, not necessarily on $'s but absolutely on contract length. He might get over it to play with his buddies, but he might not.

Always a Bulldog
Fuck ur a dribbla

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very curious what the recruitment pitch to Taafe was.
What made him leave a good club for a club like ours?
Yes he’s stuck behind latrell but Ilias is the worst established 7 in the comp right now
Whereas we don’t have a fullback, but have supposedly bought Crichton for fullback.
Something was sold to him to get him across. What was it?
Maybe just straight cash?
I think he saw Burton's games at 5/8th and probably knows there's a position at 5/8th soon for whoever puts their hand up....

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luai is 26.
He knows there is someone younger to take his place, hence only a 2 year contract.
He has won 3 comps, but I reckon he would want to have a more secure situation, a longer deal, and more money rather than 4 or 5 comps.
All runs come to an end.
There is only one place he will go to, and that's us. Mates, coach, and on the up (hopefully).
I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is already done.
On the contrary,...
At 26 and offered 2 years at Penrith on same money as Edwards and he'll take it knowing his next contract (in 2 years time) will likely be the money spinner.

He'll then take a 4 year deal at 4.5M - not now.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
On the contrary,...
At 26 and offered 2 years at Penrith on same money as Edwards and he'll take it knowing his next contract (in 2 years time) will likely be the money spinner.

He'll then take a 4 year deal at 4.5M - not now.
A 2 year contract is all very well if nothing happens to him, he could easily get a career ending HIA in year 1 and then only get paid for year 2. Whereas take a 4 year contract and he gets paid for 3 more years.

He is already at the prime of his earnings capacity, his contract value is unlikely to go up, plus there are risks in stalling for 2 years. His earnings potential drops when/if his form drops.

What person in the right mind would take $1.7m for 2 years when they could get $4.4m for 4 years. Would you knock back $2.7m extra guaranteed?

Always a Bulldog

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 2 year contract is all very well if nothing happens to him, he could easily get a career ending HIA in year 1 and then only get paid for year 2. Whereas take a 4 year contract and he gets paid for 3 more years.

He is already at the prime of his earnings capacity, his contract value is unlikely to go up, plus there are risks in stalling for 2 years. His earnings potential drops when/if his form drops.

What person in the right mind would take $1.7m for 2 years when they could get $4.4m for 4 years. Would you knock back $2.7m extra guaranteed?

Always a Bulldog
What if he wants a shorter contract so he can cash in on $1.5M per season when the salary cap increases in 2 years time? Did you ever think of it like that?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What if he wants a shorter contract so he can cash in on $1.5M per season when the salary cap increases in 2 years time? Did you ever think of it like that?
The Salary Cap doesn't increase $1.5m in 2 years time.

1698283491843.png

Always a Bulldog

Reaction score
Why did his TPA fall over? His agent was too busy with the other 6 Penrith clients and let it slip?

Always a Bulldog
This is why. According to Weedler.

The immediate impact of his split with SFX was the loss of his lucrative sponsorship with JBL electronic goods – a deal that seemed to be a perfect match for Luai given his edgy image, love of music and the boom box. The company was frustrated with Luai’s communication with them, and, once he left SFX, they withdrew their two-year deal worth $100,000.

SFX has been managing the strained relationship with JBL.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Penrith know he’s gone, firstly they prioritised other players over him and then low balled him. He was pissed off with old agent for conflict of interest as also agent for Clearys. This is only a face saving offer so they can appease fans etc. He WILL get massive offers from obviously Dogs, Tigers and Dragons, but I think the smokey will be the rorters. I regard him as an elite half/five eighth, he’s a proven great 5/8 and he’s played enough 1/2 for me to believe that he will excel in that position also. He’s a niggler but he’s a tough kid who would work in well with our backs plus have longstanding combinations.
Right about the rorters. If Nick wants him Nick will get him.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who else is there to play fullback?
Crichton is best at his natural position.
There’s always ciro’s pet favourite perham. I would not be surprised if ciro brings him back in if things with taffe don’t work out.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Money is only 1 part of the equation.

You can see how happy he is at Penrith. They freedom in which he play, the celebrations when they score, the pre match and post match fun they have, and most of all the comraderie and probably the fun his has with his mates there.

You can't put a price on that but the best example is watching Burton and Kikau and how depressed they look playing for us.

Not only will the next 2 years be successful at Penrith, his value in 2 years doesn't look like dropping -certainly not by much.

I understand the payout or severance benefit, but youre thinking like a player manager and not what's best for the person that is Luai himself.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Money is only 1 part of the equation.

You can see how happy he is at Penrith. They freedom in which he play, the celebrations when they score, the pre match and post match fun they have, and most of all the comraderie and probably the fun his has with his mates there.

You can't put a price on that but the best example is watching Burton and Kikau and how depressed they look playing for us.

Not only will the next 2 years be successful at Penrith, his value in 2 years doesn't look like dropping -certainly not by much.

I understand the payout or severance benefit, but youre thinking like a player manager and not what's best for the person that is Luai himself.
His best friend is Crichton. Plus Luai, Ciraldo, Burton and Kikau can celebrate like its 2021 next year at the Bulldogs.

Always a Bulldog

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That halves pairing will let us down.

We need a real HB.
Sexbomb is still young and relatively inexperienced.
Do we give him another year?
Or do we see what Luai can offer as a half since it's what he grew up playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.