C

chipandchase

Winger Briscoe sets his England cap on NRL club

Brad Walter
March 9, 2012 Read later
Vote

SIN BIN

Keen to test his abilities in the NRL ... Tom Briscoe

England winger Tom Briscoe is set to follow Test teammates Gareth Ellis, Sam Burgess and James Graham to the NRL after appointing David Riolo as his agent. The 21-year-old, who played on the right wing for England in last year's Four Nations tournament, is keen to try his luck in the NRL and has already met several Australian clubs. ''He is not off contract with Hull until the end of 2013 but he came out here for Christmas and we met with a few clubs about him coming here at some stage,'' Riolo told Sin Bin. ''He is an outstanding player. He is only 21 but he is already an international winger.'' Fellow England Test winger Ryan Hall and Leeds centre Kallum Watkins are widely touted as other British players who would succeed in the NRL.

this kid is a sensational player and is only 21.
interesting that Riolo is now his manager, Riolo has alot of dogs players on his books, more than any other individual manager, so if we wanted him wed have to have a good chance. Along with Graham's influence also, wed be a good shot if the Hasler wanted him.
we need a high class winger and this kid is good, very very good.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard when he was here we were one of the clubs that were interested in him and had a meeting with him

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is he the kid who scored 3 tries in wwc against manly?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As a 21 year old you have to have your priorities in life right..... and lets be fair, when you are 21 the most important thing in life is the puss.

Lettuce be reality, the sheer quantity of puss is far better in Sydney than in any city in England. Money comes later, getting your **** wet every night in the smorgasbord of delights that australia has to offer would be my first thought in this situation.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
As a 21 year old you have to have your priorities in life right..... and lets be fair, when you are 21 the most important thing in life is the puss.

Lettuce be reality, the sheer quantity of puss is far better in Sydney than in any city in England. Money comes later, getting your **** wet every night in the smorgasbord of delights that australia has to offer would be my first thought in this situation.
ahahahahaha no sex please...we're British

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he the kid who scored 3 tries in wwc against manly?
No. He plays for Hull, not Leeds.

As alreayd pointed out, you're thinking of Ryan Hall (who only actually scored two against Manly - there was no hat-trick).

Ryan Hall does look an utterly class act. As good as Briscoe looks, I'm always wary about backs coming from Super League. Who was the last Northern Hemisphere back to come down here and look decent? There were loads in the 80s, early 90s (Garry Schofield, Ellery Hanley, Gary Connolly, Jonathan Davies, Martin Offiah). In the last 15 years, it's been dire. The Northern game is still producing Ellis, Burgess, Graham etc in the forwards, but quality skill position players are few and far between. Speaking as an Englishman, I have much higher hopes for this current generation than the last one or two (yes, I'm looking at you, Keith Senior). I have more faith in someone like Ryan Hall making it in the NRL than any other winger of the past decade, Briscoe included.

It does bode well for the international game - Sam Tomkins, Tom Briscoe, Ryan Hall (plus like likes of Jack Reed) should at least offer a credible English backline for the first time in a decade.

(As a bonus, Ryan Hall also managed to shatter Billy Slater's collar bone when Slater came off second best with his last ditch shoulder charge that failed to stop Hall scoring in the Four Nations final. The boy's built like a tank, at least by winger standards).

Last edited by a moderator:

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score

Oh my god! fkn well said!

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking forward to another Super League player coming and testing himself. Burgess and Ellis have proved to be quite influential in that respect it seems.

Briscoe seems quite small. 6ft but only 86kg. Ryan Hall has another 10kg on Briscoe.

C

chipandchase

Looking forward to another Super League player coming and testing himself. Burgess and Ellis have proved to be quite influential in that respect it seems.

Briscoe seems quite small. 6ft but only 86kg. Ryan Hall has another 10kg on Briscoe.
yeh he looks very promising

BUGDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ryan Hall over Briscoe any day. he would set the NRL on fire

As far as forwards are concerned i think we should aim for Craig Kopczak or Ben westwood.. Craig in particular was very impressive when he played for wales

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24349101

Leeds Rhinos: Tom Briscoe signs from Hull FC

Leeds Rhinos have signed England winger Tom Briscoe from Hull FC on a five-year contract.

The 23-year-old, who turned down the offer of a new contract with Hull, had originally sought a move to Australia.

He told BBC Radio Leeds: "I had five years at Hull but it was time for a change and Leeds are a champion club.

"I did have options to go to the NRL, but the opportunity to play alongside some of the great players in Super League was one I couldn't turn down."

On Tuesday, England head coach Steve McNamara named Briscoe in his 24-man squad for the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

Briscoe scored 16 tries in the 2013 campaign and 17 the previous year.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It aint gunna happen so no point gettin our knickers in a not over it

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You should be part of our recruitment team, unless the bloke is gay i can see him signing as soon as he reads your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.