Rumour Looks like we've got another young talent

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ffs. Stop the whining. He’s a dev signing who won’t see nrl for 2 or 3 years when some of the current crop of backs will have been poached by other clubs. If we don’t get these young kids, we will be f-ed again in 2026 and you’ll all carry on about how no signings were made in 2023.
100 %, I might joke about the utility signings, but the reality is, you can only pick from the available players and you have to spend 95% of the cap. This guy would be cheap and most likely development tier contract,he may amount to something in a couple of years.

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
100 %, I might joke about the utility signings, but the reality is, you can only pick from the available players and you have to spend 95% of the cap. This guy would be cheap and most likely development tier contract,he may amount to something in a couple of years.
If/when PNG get an NRL license, he'll be gone.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Joash Papalili also a fullback. Two fullbacks on 6 development contracts. Doesn't add up.
Makes perfect sense, when you have decent fullback prospects you lock them in, they don't grow on trees.

BTW there is no maximum limit on Development Player numbers, just a Cap at $650k and a minimum of 4 players.

1698719859911.png

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
2024 is 97.5%.
Development Players have their own Cap.
Refer above

Always a Bulldog

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone is bothered by it. Not like we are burning huge cap amounts on a development player. We need the juniors going well to succeed in the long run.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense, when you have decent fullback prospects you lock them in, they don't grow on trees.

BTW there is no maximum limit on Development Player numbers, just a Cap at $650k and a minimum of 4 players.

View attachment 90613

Always a Bulldog
Max number of supplementary players would be 8??? - Given cap is 650k and the minimum payment is 80k - am i understanding correctly?

Train n trial would be whatever you can afford?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Max number of supplementary players would be 8??? - Given cap is 650k and the minimum payment is 80k - am i understanding correctly?

Train n trial would be whatever you can afford?
Yes, you're correct. Except not every Development Player is signed for the whole year. For the year it's $80k per annum minimum each, but it's pro rata, so for example for 6 months it's $40k. Plus there are NSWRL contracts to consider. That's where it gets complex with players on NSWRL contracts that get "upgraded" to NRL Development Contracts.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, you're correct. Except not every Development Player is signed for the whole year. For the year it's $80k per annum minimum each, but it's pro rata, so for example for 6 months it's $40k. Plus there are NSWRL contracts to consider. That's where it gets complex with players on NSWRL contracts that get "upgraded" to NRL Development Contracts.

Always a Bulldog
Pro rata - good point
another level would be flegg etc contracts

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ffs. Stop the whining. He’s a dev signing who won’t see nrl for 2 or 3 years when some of the current crop of backs will have been poached by other clubs. If we don’t get these young kids, we will be f-ed again in 2026 and you’ll all carry on about how no signings were made in 2023.
I highly doubt he would leave the Cowboys where he was on a development contract to come to the dogs and sign another development contract.
I have a feeling that he's been promised a top 30 spot like Karl Oloapu was.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I highly doubt he would leave the Cowboys where he was on a development contract to come to the dogs and sign another development contract.
I have a feeling that he's been promised a top 30 spot like Karl Oloapu was.
Whether It's development or a top 30 contract, he will be on minimum wage or close to it. I doubt it will be for Karl's spot though, he will have plenty medical appointments before they get close to medical retirement

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2024 is 97.5%.
Development Players have their own Cap.
Refer above

Always a Bulldog
Are there any requirements to being able to have a development contract? ie age, prior nrl experience etc

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kid looks alright but those highlights didn't look anything special tbh
I've only seen highlights from 1 game, but it showed he can tackle,goal kick,has a general kicking game and can hit 40/20s, is reasonable under the high ball and can playmake a little. There is potential there