Opinion Look better when Wakeham in starting lineup?

Real_Bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
HI Guys

First real thread on my end, is it just me or do we look like a better side with Wakeham in the starting lineup.

I am not saying he is the reason we won, but every time he has started it seems he brings some calm to the halves and structure.

Might be perfect for Burton.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From an organisational side of things, he offers more than Averillo. Kicking game, composure, etc. Avo without a doubt offers more X Factor.

With Burton bringing that X Factor, maybe Wakeham could be the 7 next year. I think him and Avo will battle for it in the preseason. We've only had the chance to judge them both in a weak squad so let's see.

My big concern is for a team that has had 6 years to rebuild we are still putting out a pretty inexperienced spine. Dufty + Burton + Wakeham/Avo + Cook.

Real_Bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
From an organisational side of things, he offers more than Averillo. Kicking game, composure, etc. Avo without a doubt offers more X Factor.

With Burton bringing that X Factor, maybe Wakeham could be the 7 next year. I think him and Avo will battle for it in the preseason. We've only had the chance to judge them both in a weak squad so let's see.

My big concern is for a team that has had 6 years to rebuild we are still putting out a pretty inexperienced spine. Dufty + Burton + Wakeham/Avo + Cook.
Agreed on the Spine inexperience, although I think the game will suit them with better go forward, remember we weren't really rebuilding, the last 4 years, I have no idea what were doing, maybe just waiting for salary cap to correct itself.

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It came up in the ch9 commentary regarding avo and his best position ,Freddy and sterlo said he seems to be suited to centre.
Thought the last few games Wakeham has shown a bit of his true potential.
A couple of nice kicks, pass for Allen's try,made up for dropping kickoff with the drop out and gave us back possession.
Picked up one of the tigers forwards and drove him back ,so he's a tough bugger with a bit of niggle.
Balls in his court next year.

Dufty
Fox
Avo
Naden
Cotric
Burton
Wakeham

With Oko, schoupp,Allen, katoa for depth
Flanagan ? Hopefully his dad gets a coaching gig and he goes there

Real_Bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
It came up in the ch9 commentary regarding avo and his best position ,Freddy and sterlo said he seems to be suited to centre.
A couple of nice kicks, pass for Allen's try,made up for dropping kickoff with the drop out and gave us back possession.
Picked up one of the tigers forwards and drove him back ,so he's a tough bugger with a bit of niggle.

Dufty
Fox
Avo
Naden
Cotric
Burton
Wakeham

I like this alot, we need Flanagan gone asap!!!! he will be a problem on our roster moving forward.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When wakeham and Avo were in the halves mid season we started showing some fight.. when covid breach happened, we started getting flogged again .. coincidence... I don't know you tell me ... One thing I will say is it's an absolute myth that wakeham is a shit defender.. he's far better at defensive reads than lewis.. he may not have the strength and tackle technique of lewis, but overall a far better defender..

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Dufty
Fox
Avo
Naden
Cotric
Burton
Wakeham

Avo was a centre in Flegg and only got a start at 1/2 when Rajib got injured, so even in that team, he wasn’t a first-string half.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When wakeham and Avo were in the halves mid season we started showing some fight.. when covid breach happened, we started getting flogged again .. coincidence... I don't know you tell me ... One thing I will say is it's an absolute myth that wakeham is a shit defender.. he's far better at defensive reads than lewis.. he may not have the strength and tackle technique of lewis, but overall a far better defender..
I’m not sold on Wakeham but I like how much of a shirt stirrer he is - lol

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
HI Guys

First real thread on my end, is it just me or do we look like a better side with Wakeham in the starting lineup.

I am not saying he is the reason we won, but every time he has started it seems he brings some calm to the halves and structure.

I disagree.
He is so inconsistent and usually wont take the bull by the horns.
He had a good game yesturday, cant remember his last.
I was all for him getting a run beginning of last season but as the year rolled on, well there was nothing to be impressed by.
Just my opinion.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what to make of Wakeham. Real rocks or diamonds player at the moment. No reserve grade has really hampered his developement. Very highly regarded by good judges as a junior. Tough little bugger, with a much higher ceiling than Flannagan. Looked like the dominant half as the game progressed yesterday.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree.
He is so inconsistent and usually wont take the bull by the horns.
He had a good game yesturday, cant remember his last.
I was all for him getting a run beginning of last season but as the year rolled on, well there was nothing to be impressed by.
Just my opinion.
I can see what your saying as he hasn’t quite had the impact across his first grade career that we would of hoped . He was highly touted in the juniors . But in saying that we haven’t a single half do so in the last few years in first grade. This is probably due to our halves playing behind an ordinary pack and with no real X factor in our backs. From what I have seen the last 2 weeks I believe he is our best option as a half back and with Burton arriving next year I believe they will make a nice combo. Avo can play in the centres and provide the X factor out wide and with two good wingers and a full back with pace and vision I believe we will see some
Real quality from Wakeham .

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
HI Guys

He had 5 games in a row leading up to the Bondi 5 incident which was his longest consecutive game haul in his career. He played well yesterday, but needs consistency & belief, something lacking in a lot of our players.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What his contract situation? Thought he was off after this year…

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the fascination is, I thought he was quite ordinary yesterday.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Wakeham but I like how much of a shirt stirrer he is - lol
He's definitely not our answer moving forward, Burton is the only half that is the answer thus far... but if wakeham's on minimum wage, he's not a terrible back up option. Every team needs a cheap back up half .

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not sure what the fascination is, I thought he was quite ordinary yesterday.
Wakeham had a lot of key touches that turned into opportunities/tries (also other moments like the drop out). I'm not sure if he was in our top 3 players (I didn't have him there) but he definitely deserves a special mention at the least. It's also only 1 game so no reason to get carried away, this is an outlier performance from him.