Lolesi: No.1 is cursed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanty Bill

I Like Soccer
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if no-one in the Bulldogs squad wears the No.1 jersey.

Regular centre Jamaal Lolesi admitted it was cursed after receiving the nod as the Bulldogs' fourth fullback in as many weeks following a knee injury to Hazem El Masri.

Pointscoring machine El Masri was today ruled out for "six to eight weeks" with a knee medial ligament tear suffered in last Friday night's win over Brisbane.

"The coach has said to me: "I don't want you wearing the No.1, it's cursed," Lolesi joked to AAP.

"I'll wear the No.2 - it went well for me last week." Lolesi is the fourth to fill the custodian role after Luke Patten, Trent Cutler (both ankle) and now El Masri went down in consecutive weeks.

Bulldogs club doctor Hugh Hazard confirmed El Masri would not require surgery but would miss the rest of the NRL regular season.

In a worse-case scenario, El Masri won't be available until the NRL preliminary final - if the defending premiers make it that far.

Hazard said El Masri would be fitted with a brace and required intensive rehabilitation.

"If we make the finals and the grand final he's got every chance of playing again but we've got to get that far," he said.

"We've got to keep winning, unless we run out of troops."

Hazard said Patten would not return for another "three to four weeks" and Cutler for "four to five weeks".

Bulldogs star Sonny Bill Williams (knee) won't be back for another three weeks while Queensland Origin rep Willie Tonga (knee) has been slated for a return in "four to five weeks".

"There are no surprise comebacks, not at this stage. I wish there was," Hazard said.

El Masri, who has averaged 10 points a game this season, had not missed a match since 1999, playing 174 consecutive games for the Bulldogs.

He was just 20 games short of Jason Taylor's league record of 194 consecutive matches.

Lolesi will move into fullback while Cameron Phelps is expected to move into the centres.

Lolesi had also been tipped to fill in as goalkicker but was leapfrogged by halves Braith Anasta and Brent Sherwin after his efforts at training this morning.

Lolesi sprayed his first six attempts at goal before dropping out in an unofficial contest with Anasta and Sherwin who "tied" for top honours.

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
did the dogs' club doctor use to be a pro wrestler? hugh hazard :p

Reaction score
Hazem was named at fullback therefore the #1 jersey wont be given to anyone this week anyway.

stupid article.

T

TdoggBulldog

we have to use the no.1 jersey sooner or later though...

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
Shanty_Bill said:
El Masri, who has averaged 10 points a game this season, had not missed a match since 1999, playing 174 consecutive games for the Bulldogs.

He was just 20 games short of Jason Taylor's league record of 194 consecutive matches.

I feel so bad for El Masri. Poor guy. Not only will he miss this record, which he deserves, he most probably wont get leading point scorer this year :(

T

TdoggBulldog

yer... that tigers dudes catchin up to him... hodgeson??? i dont know his name.. hopefully the tigers dont make the finals and hazem can over take him then!

Status
Not open for further replies.