LinkedIn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a LinkedIn account?

LinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking site mainly used for professional networking. The purpose of the site is to allow registered users to maintain a list of contact details of people they know and trust in business. The people in the list are called Connections. Users can invite anyone (whether a site user or not) to become a connection.

This list of connections can then be used in a number of ways:

• A contact network is built up consisting of their direct connections, the connections of each of their connections (termed second-degree connections) and also the connections of second-degree connections (termed third-degree connections). This can be used to gain an introduction to someone a person wishes to know through a mutual, trusted contact.
  • It can then be used to find jobs, people and business opportunities recommended by someone in one's contact network.
  • Employers can list jobs and search for potential candidates.
  • Job seekers can review the profile of hiring managers and discover which of their existing contacts can introduce them.
  • Users can post their own photos and view photos of others to aid in identification.

Really interesting for anyone looking for a more professional social networking tool. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new job or career path. Employeers are smart these days and will do a google search on you :(

MrCharisma's LinkedIn

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, Hi-5, LinkedIn... all social networking. LinkedIn is a little different...

You can get recommendations from current/past employers or friends, it is integrated with a job search if you are looking for a new role in your field.

It can also act as an online resume with your past experiences, education, awards... etc

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, good for corporate networking.

Good way of obtaining personal referrals and keeping in touch with business networks.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Self-advertising on the Kennel.

Love it.

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
Self-advertising on the Kennel.

Love it.
How do you mean?

If you're referring to my link, I'm starting off people with a friend... who knows... I might not accept you. Haha!

I'm actually new to it so if someone has been using it for a while, I'd love to have a chat with them to find out how they are using it effectively.

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am now on Linked In! haha It's a bit weird but I will figure it out!

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
6 months on and I thought I would revisit this topic.

Has anyone else taken the leap and joined LinkedIn?

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Hey - yeah I've been a member for a little while now, I haven't done a great deal with my page but I do use it to keep in contact with a number of our clients.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I try to stay away from social networking. I regret ever signing up to FB :(

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't have an account. It seems interesting.

Although I really do worry about mixing social networking with business. It could fck you over if you aren't careful.

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's like an online resume. I have connected with clients, employers and some friends on it. I have had three offers for job interviews without doing a thing as well.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been on linkedin for ages, in the early days nobody had pictures.
Now everyone has pictures

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
Don't have an account. It seems interesting.

Although I really do worry about mixing social networking with business. It could fck you over if you aren't careful.
I like to think of it like networking using your resume. It allows you to network with people similar to you or in the same industry... as Rachel pointed out, it's also great for recruiters. Who knows when someone might tap you on the shoulder with a great opportunity.

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I have to dig it up, honestly I haven't been on for a couple of years

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
Anyone else joined LinkedIn yet?

Now that I invested some time developing my page and finding a few groups... I really enjoy this site.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
I'm on it. been on it for a couple years.

It is pretty cool. You update your profile with little courses you've done and you suddenly get head hunted for this and that.

Status
Not open for further replies.