Lichaa upset to lose Hodkinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/lichaa-upset-to-lose-hodkinson/tabid/10874/newsid/87865/default.aspx

In the days following the announcement that Bulldogs and NSW halfback Trent Hodkinson had signed a rich three-year deal with the Newcastle Knights for 2016, young gun hooker Michael Lichaa has expressed his sadness of seeing his teammate leave the kennel.

With Lichaa only acquainting himself with the halfback since signing with the Bulldogs at the beginning of this season, the 21-year-old rake told NRL.com he realised Hodkinson's decision to become a Novocastrian was a reality of rugby league he'll have to get used to.

While he and the Bulldogs will lose an instrumental teammate, Lichaa will also lose his daily driving companion with their chats between Cronulla and Canterbury sure to be missed.
"I was upset to see that Hokko had to go. He's a real good mate and I drive to training with him every day. I probably can't say too much about what we talk about though – I'll get myself in trouble," Lichaa laughed.
"We don't talk about football rather than a bit of stuff here and there but it's all good. He's definitely a legend. It was a big decision he had to make but that's the salary cap I guess. He's a professional and he'll definitely do well at the Knights.
"It's obviously good for Moses [Mbye] and Josh Reynolds moving forward but it's definitely sad Hokko had to leave."
Despite Hodkinson's departure, Lichaa was pleased that one of his self-confessed best mates Mbye will get a consistent crack at first grade beyond this year – not that he isn't already.
With Mbye currently leaving Josh Reynolds to come off the bench, Lichaa had nothing but compliments for his fellow young Dog.

"He's going awesome," Lichaa said.
"At the start of the year he didn't know if he was going to play often because he missed out on the Round 1 team but ever since then he's come in and been really solid.
"There have been some weeks there too where he's been our best player so he's going really well."
Expected to become half of the Bulldogs all-important spine next season, Mbye and Lichaa's friendship should only pay dividends for the club moving forward.
With Lichaa reaching his 2015 season objectives already - becoming an 80-minute hooker - the Cronulla-Caringbah junior didn't deny he was already thinking about the possibilities of next year.
"My biggest goal this year, of course I wanted to have a good year, but it was to become an 80 minute hooker," Lichaa said.
"It was my main focus so next pre-season I can work on other things like my kicking game rather than just my fitness. Achieving my goals this year definitely sets me up well for next pre-season to practice all the other stuff."

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor Lichaa's petrol expenses just went through the roof

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lichaa and Mbye's development in our spine will hopefully keep the Dogs competitive for the better part of a decade.

Talking about our spine, has anyone heard anymore developments with our successor to BMoz?
Is that Abbey fella from the Warriors still on?

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lichaa and Mbye's development in our spine will hopefully keep the Dogs competitive for the better part of a decade.

Talking about our spine, has anyone heard anymore developments with our successor to BMoz?
Is that Abbey fella from the Warriors still on?
The deal has happened. But last I heard was that he copped a knee injury ruling him out for the season.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
"I was upset to see that Hokko had to go. He's a real good mate and I drive to training with him every day. I probably can't say too much about what we talk about though – I'll get myself in trouble," Lichaa laughed.
"We don't talk about football rather than a bit of stuff here and there but it's all good. He's definitely a legend.
Sounds like its a mate who is leaving the club - not a half back!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe he needs to forget about our halfback, and get himself a hatchback instead :D

Good to see Lichaa setting himself goals to work towards.. shows he has a good head on his shoulders, and he will only get better.

As for Hodko leaving, meh, thats what happens when you play like absolute shit for a season, and spend another season (almost) out injured. The reality of it, is that he never hit his heights (even at Manly). He was always made to look better by the person alongside him. When he was released from Manly and came here, we needed a leader and got nothing back in return except an average halfback way out of his depth.

He needs to find that form from last game with us, and build on that. Get a whole season playing like that and then he'll start getting some accolades and positive press about how good a player he is.

With the exception of a handful of games for us, he's played most of his career with the Dogs, as if he was a fringe first grade halfback, filling in for someone else.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe he needs to forget about our halfback, and get himself a hatchback instead :D

Good to see Lichaa setting himself goals to work towards.. shows he has a good head on his shoulders, and he will only get better.

As for Hodko leaving, meh, thats what happens when you play like absolute shit for a season, and spend another season (almost) out injured. The reality of it, is that he never hit his heights (even at Manly). He was always made to look better by the person alongside him. When he was released from Manly and came here, we needed a leader and got nothing back in return except an average halfback way out of his depth.

He needs to find that form from last game with us, and build on that. Get a whole season playing like that and then he'll start getting some accolades and positive press about how good a player he is.

With the exception of a handful of games for us, he's played most of his career with the Dogs, as if he was a fringe first grade halfback, filling in for someone else.
Don't be afraid to tell it like it is Mr I :grinning: As for Lichaa it's to early to start thinking about pre season 2016!!!! WE ARE FINALS BOUND BABY!!!! Your a Bulldog son not a Cronulla where are my dentures Shark.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score

I agree with everything you've said. Now that we know what the future holds its time for him to concentrate on the rest of the season and what will most likely be his last genuine chance at a title.
I am comfortable with the decision the club has made even if Hodko finds his inner Cooper Cronk for the rest of the season and takes us to a title. If that happens there will be 100 inevitable threads about our shit retention policies but I think the biggest regret will be Hodkos, regretting only playing to his potential too late.
But hey, that's all hypothetical, let's hope he and the other origin boys don't go into their shells after Wednesday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.